Using external editors in iRepoEditor

Markus
2012-01-18
2013-05-23
  • Markus
    Markus
    2012-01-18

I would like to use another app like DocsToGo to edit files that I have checked out from a repository with iRepoEditor. I can open the file in another app from iRepoEditor, but I don't seem to be able to get the edited file back to iRepoEditor so that the updated version of the file can be committed back to the repository.
    An hint on how to achieve this?
    I guess the problem would be solve if it were possible to open an external file in iRepoEditor (using "Open In"), but that doesn't seem to be possible.
    /Markus

• Markus
    Markus
    2012-01-19

Hi Satoshi,
    thanks for your quick answer. It took me a step further. I realize now that it is possible to open some file formats in iRepoEditor from another app and finding them in the Inbox. But it seems to work only for certain file types. For instance, I get it to work with .rtf files but not with .doc/.docx, .ppt/.pptx, and .xls/.xlsx files.
    Any chance of that possibility being added?
    There is no problem with opening and viewing files of these types in iRepoEditor itself.

Best regards,
    Markus

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-01-20

Hi,

You are right, iRepoEditor supports only 'public.text' now.

I have added more content types to handle any files.
    The fix is released with the next version, it will be released next week.

Please wait for a while :-)

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno

• Markus
    Markus
    2012-01-20

Hi,

that sounds great! Looking forward to the release.

Best regards,
    Markus

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-01-31

Hi,

The new version, v1.7.1, is released today. Please check it :-)

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno

• Markus
    Markus
    2012-01-31

Hi,

Great - it seems to work fine!

Many thanks for your quick action!

Best regards,
    Markus

• Edson Estrella
    Edson Estrella
    2012-02-28

Skonno.
    I am a newby user of iRepoEditor and DocumentsToGo. 
    I am having some strange behavior with the "Open In" Feature:
    Frequently the action button to launch the "Open In" gets disabled.
    So I can´t edit the files because I am not able to launch it.

Do you have any references about it?

• Markus
    Markus
    2012-02-29

Hi,
    I have the same problem now.  I haven't used the app in a few weeks now but it wasn't like this before so something seems to have happened in the latest update.
    Best regards,
    Markus

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-03-01

Hi,

What file types are't opened ?

The "Open In" action couldn't show the menu when appropriate applications are not installed for
    your specified file type.

Please tell me your problems in more detail.

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno

• Markus
    Markus
    2012-03-01

Hi,
    The problem is that the action button in the upper right-hand corner of iRepo (next to the email button, which by the way works fine) is shaded and not possible ot activate. It doesn't matter what file type I have open in iRepo - the button is constantly shaded and nothing happens when I try to press it. I have tried with txt, doc, xls, ppt, and I have apps installed for all of those file types.

I don't know exactly when this problem started to show since there were a couple of weeks when I didn't run the app but I seem to recall that there has been updates installed between now and back when everything worked fine. I always keep all apps updated so I am using the latest version.

Best regards,
    Markus

Best regards,
    Markus
    I have tried to restart my iPad but it did not make any difference.

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-03-05

Hi Markus,

> The problem is that the action button in the upper right-hand corner of iRepo (next to the email button, which
    > by the way works fine) is shaded and not possible ot activate. It doesn't matter what file type I have open in
    > iRepo - the button is constantly shaded and nothing happens when I try to press it. I have tried with txt, doc, xls,
    > ppt, and I have apps installed for all of those file types.

I checked the problem yesterday, but I could open the files with other installed applications such as
    GoodReader v3.14 on iPad 5.0.1.

What applications are installed on your iPad ?l I don't know why you can't open the files now.
    Please tell me your information in more detail ?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno

• Markus
    Markus
    2012-03-05

Hi,
    It is really strange but now everything works fine again. As I said earlier, I tried to restart the app and the iPad a couple of times before but the problem was still there. However, when I started iRepo today the problem was gone and everything works fine. i don't know if it is possible that some other app that I had active earlier might have interfered with iRepo.

Best regards,
    Markus

• Edson Estrella
    Edson Estrella
    2012-03-05

Satoshi.
    I have been triyng to replicate the problem. When you work in landscape mode, sometimes the botton never is activated (I can´t replicated in a controlled scenery ), but It never happens when you use iRepoEditor in portrait mode.
    I guess and the problem is related with a kind of "focus" problem. I hope this result could help you to replicate the problem.

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-03-07

Hi,

The state of the action button is updated when a file item is selected, but I will check
    the problem in the portrait mode more carefully.

Thanks for your report :-)

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-03-07

Hi,

I finally understood your problem :-)

To enable the action menu in the landscape mode, please close the directory
    popover menu to click the outside.

iRepoEditor disables the action button menu when the directory menu is
    opened as a popover menu in the landscape mode. It is a limitation of iOS.
    I have to control the action menu to open a popover menu at a time.

Please check it :-)

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno

• Edson Estrella
    Edson Estrella
    2012-03-07

Yep… You got it…
    Thanks a lot..

I left the development several years ago, mi working development take me to Infrastructure… But let me say that this kind of development philosophy is great!!!
    Eric S. Raymond was rigth!!!  The Bazar philosophy works and works great!!!

• Roland Wienen
    Roland Wienen
    2012-04-02

Hello Satoshi,

i reallly enjoy your iRepoEditor. But im not able to do a 'round-trip' with a document. I'd tried this:

1.) Open a document from a repository in 'iThoughtsHD' -> It worked.
    2.) Editing this document with iThoughtsHD for iPad. It worked.
    3.) Sending back the document to iRepoEditor. It worked.
    4.) Finding this document in the iRepoEditor's Inbox. It worked.
    5.) Trying to move the document back to it's original place as a new version. It failed due to a file with the same name is still available in the choosen directory.

Please tell me the things i'm doing the wrong way.

I'm looking forward to your answer.

Thanks,

Roland

• CrustyNoodle
    CrustyNoodle
    2012-04-06

Really great App for the iPad but I'm having similar issues.

I even tried to delete the original file before moving the edited one back to the original location however the previous (pre-edited version) ended up coming back!

The other thing that would make this app even better would be the ability to browse a repo without the need to actually checkout a working copy.

• Anonymous
    2012-04-30

It would be nice to have some slightly more elegant 'open with'/import behaviour. Specifically, if I open a file in another editor, then import it back - I'd much prefer if it went back into the repository folder from which it was originally opened (unless this is already possible and I've missed it!)
    At the moment, my repository structure is quite deep and it's fairly cumbersome to have to manually move each folder from the 'inbox' after I've finished making an edit.

Otherwise - I'm loving this app! It looks like this will go a long way towards allowing me to do a huge chunk of my work on the iPad! :)

• jt_69.V
    jt_69.V
    2012-06-05

When working on a file in another app, the "Open in…" menu never shows iRepEditor to open this file with. I have tried several apps and several file formats.

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-06-06

Hi,

> When working on a file in another app, the "Open in…" menu never shows iRepEditor to open
    > this file with. I have tried several apps and several file formats.

iRepoEditor supports the following file types to receive form other applications.

public.content
        public.data
        public.archive

What is your file type ?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno

• Hello, you've just made afantastic app, altough I've been having trouble with the Open In… functionality with formats like phpm or phtml which are PHP file formats I work with. What I'd suggest is to allow opening all kinds of text files with the Open In… functionality, and to let the user to specify the color coding parser for the document, instead or along the file extension detection, anyway, hope you can help me with my phpm and phtml issue because right now my work around is to copy the whole text in the file and then paste it on my text editor, edit the text and copy it back to iRepoEditor for commiting.

• Satoshi Konno
    Satoshi Konno
    2012-09-04

Hi

iRepoEditor supports only the following file types to receive form other applications.

public.content
        public.data
        public.archive

I think that your files, phpm and pthml, are not defined in the following specification.

Uniform Type Identifier.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier

I will add more UTI types to receive your files in the next release.

Best Regards,

Satoshi Konno