Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

objimport

Help
2006-06-01
2013-03-24
  • thomas oppl
    thomas oppl
    2006-06-01

hello,

i try to use the objimport plugin and alwas get the "no module named protocols" error. could someone give me a quick outline of how to use that plugin? i find the docs a bit sparse regarding examples.

• thomas oppl
      thomas oppl
      2006-06-01

i installed pyprotocols now but still don't really know how to do it. :) a small example would be very nice.

• thomas oppl
      thomas oppl
      2006-06-01

sorry, i must have been blind. some examples in the docs help a lot for what i want to do. :)

• Matthias Baas
      Matthias Baas
      2006-06-01

All right, it seems you answered all questions yourself. :) Or is there still a question left?

- Matthias -

• thomas oppl
      thomas oppl
      2006-06-01

the question left (at the moment) is how to retrieve the materials. :)

i try to do a model converter and already get the vertices and faces from the groups in the obj. i think i know how i will get the normals and uvs from the slots but i haven't seen anything about getting the material of a face or group yet. how would i do that?

and is it possible to recalculate vertex normals somehow?

• thomas oppl
      thomas oppl
      2006-06-01

i guess the "matid" slot is what i was looking for. i didn't notice that one because i tested with a wrong obj. darn, i always post too early.

so the last question is if cgkit can automatically calculate averaged vertex normals somehow?

• Matthias Baas
      Matthias Baas
      2006-06-02

"matid" is the correct answer. :)

There is no functionality yet to compute averaged vertex normals, sorry (I'm always doing that already in a modeler). So you have to do that yourself.

By the way, what is the output format of your conversion? If it's already something that cgkit can export you could just use the save() function or the convert3d.py utility.

- Matthias -

• thomas oppl
      thomas oppl
      2006-06-02

no, it's a converter to a custom game engine format. cgkit really has been very helpful so far for this purpose!

btw. it would be nice if cgkit also supported the collada format! or is there some other python library for collada already?

• Matthias Baas
      Matthias Baas
      2006-06-06

I'm not aware of a stand-alone Python package that reads/writes Collada but I believe there's something for Blender which is (partially?) implemented in Python.

After having a short look at Collada it appears to be rather "heavy-weight", so I don't think I can add that in just a few hours during a weekend or so. But, of course, contributions are welcome, so if you would like to give it a try..... ;-)

- Matthias -

• thomas oppl
      thomas oppl
      2006-06-09

hm... i guess exporting collada wouldn't be that hard but making an importer foolproof looks a bit too overwhelming for me and my programming skills. unfortunately the importer would be the more important part. :)