2013-01-13
  • Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-12

Does cewolf support heat maps?

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-13

I actually wasn't asking for myself, so I'm not sure about the nature of data or of the visualization. The question was asked for a project that uses cewolf for charts, see http://sourceforge.net/p/art/discussion/352129/thread/d8ab9d0b/. I'll ask the poster there to pursue the matter here.

• Pete
    Pete
    2012-11-13

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I am using a Mondrian Pivot table, and the way I envision it similar to the Excel Conditional Formatting. I want for example lower values to show green and higher values to show red, in between values to show yellow etc.

I am using the concept in that higher numbers lets say high 40 to 50 are bad values, and low numbers such as 0 to 10 are good values so display them as green. All in between orange and yellow. etc.

This is how I have the chart in excel pivot point using conditional formatting, so I am trying to recreate the same using the MDX and ART, I can do the pivot fine but I cant make it a heat-map.

• Pete
    Pete
    2012-11-16

Yes it would be exactly like the fusion charts heat maps. Can I create the same chart in ART ?

Thx.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-17

No. heat maps are not available in ART. They may be added in the future, If they become available in cewolf.

• Ulf Dittmer
    Ulf Dittmer
    2012-11-18

I had a look at how this might be done using what JFreeChart offers, and implementing something along the lines of the first link I posted, I got something basic up and running. It still needs some polishing, and doesn't go nearly as far as what FusionCharts offers, but it's a beginning. I should have a beta version available within the next week or so; I'll announce it here when it's available.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-19

Much appreciated. I look forward to trying it out.

• Pete
    Pete
    2012-11-20

Thank you, I cant wait to try it out…

• Ulf Dittmer
    Ulf Dittmer
    2012-11-24

I've uploaded a new cewolf jar file to the "beta" directory, along with an example JSP file that demonstrates heat maps in action.

If no "color#..:" parameters are used in the postprocessor, then a uniform gray coloring is used; in that case the "subdivisions" parameter determines how man different shades of gray are used. The "value" of the color parameter consists of the lower bound from which on to use the given color, and the RGB value of the color itself, separated by a colon. For the lower bound it's also possible to use percentages if the exact values are not known, or not available in the JSP page. Such entries would look like "0%:#0000FF" and "50%:#FFFF00" for a two-colored scheme.

Note that cewolf now requires Java 5, but since even that has been obsolete for years, it shouldn't cause any problems.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-24

Thanks for this. I'll use the beta in the ART project and report any issues I encounter.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-29

A couple of thoughts:

1. Could the HeatMapEnhancer check that the renderer is a XYBlockRenderer, in addition to checking that the plot is an XYPlot. To avoid throwing an exception with the wrong chart type

2. If no color# parameter is used, a gray scale is used. Would it be possible to specify another colour to use instead of grey. e.g. shades of red.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-29

I also notice that for the grey scale, bigger values have a lighter colour. I would expect higher values to have darker colours? i.e. the bigger the value, the more black.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-11-30

A few more items.

1. When a parse/convert error occurs for subdivisions and stripwidth, can the values set be the same as the defaults? For uniformity?

2. For scaleTextPos, what is the difference between say topleft and topright? Both seem to produce the same effect, the scale text centered at the top. Perhaps the option could take just two values, top and bottom?

• Ulf Dittmer
    Ulf Dittmer
    2012-12-01

- Checking for the right renderer type: sure

- Other colors than greyscale if no colors are specified: yes, that's a useful feature

- Higher values = darker colors: I think that's a personal preference. To me it makes more sense the way it is now. But I have an idea for the previous point which *may* address this one as well.

- Subdivisions/stripwidth: yes, exceptions should cause the defaults to be used

- scaleTextPos: topleft means "top or left"; same for the others. JFreeChart might place it in either position depending on where it thinks is more room for it. That's just mirroring the underlying JFreeChart functionality.

I'll put up another beta that adresses these issues, but probably not before next weekend.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-12-02

Thanks.

• Ulf Dittmer
    Ulf Dittmer
    2012-12-08

I've just uploaded a new beta version that addresses the issues I mentioned in my previous post. Color scales are now possible between two arbitrary colors (given as "lowerColor" and "upperColor"), which addresses the 2nd and 3rd issue. The JSP has been extended to demonstrate that feature. Let me know how you make out.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-12-09

Everything works fine.

Just a note. Is there logging being done by the 2nd beta?  Stuff like

value=-1.0, v=-1.0, vi=0.0
    r=255, g=255, b=255

I don't think I noticed this with the first beta.

• Ulf Dittmer
    Ulf Dittmer
    2012-12-09

Excellent; then I'll make it an official release soon.

That's debug logging; it won't happen in the final release.

• Timothy Anyona
    Timothy Anyona
    2012-12-09

I look forward to it. Thanks for taking the time to implement this feature.

• Ulf Dittmer
    Ulf Dittmer
    2012-12-09

Version 1.2 has just been released.