Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Any Interest in a centraview copy?

Help
2007-12-05
2013-04-24
  • My company is quite seriously investigating creating a clone of CentraView.  We use it ourselves internally, and love it.

We wanted to see if there would be much community interest in this if this project was completed. 

We are looking at a few models, with there being a free version for 2 users or less, and commercial versions, with the exact same functionality, but unlimited users.  We would have this version available as both Software as a service, and an outright purchase option for customers wanting to install the software on there own premises.

If you are interested in this at all, we would love to know, so we can keep you informed of development.

Please respond to this thread if you are interested, or email sales@indigointeractive.com.au

• Ross
      Ross
      2007-12-05

Count me as interested!

• I have been reviewing all of our CRM related options for the past couple of years.  We have reviewed or evaluated just about every Open Source product available covering mostly PHP and Java.  We have a strong preference to Java for many reasons, and thus, our final review was narrowed down to these options. 

While we have been aware of CentraView for some time, I did not have us consider this as one of the options due to the fact that no activity on file updates have taken place since 2005. 

On the surface, I personally liked the module specifications of Hipergate.  While I have been totally successful with the installation and testing process of Version 3.021, there is no getting away from the fact that support is really being limited to the Spanish marketplace.  They have made an English version available, but it has many areas that are still in Spanish.  Also, there are way too many bugs in my opinion to fight this language barrier.  Lastly, they are using an older Java packaging format to be consistent with their older version(s), and I find this most difficult from a debugging standpoint. 

I have friends that have tried to install to evaluate it, and they have been unsuccessful.  Given the above facts, we decided to pass and move on to another option. 

One of my key complaints about the PHP products available has been in the area of Project Management.  I have found their so-called Task (Event and Activity Management) to be real light and not acceptable as a Project Management Module.  Also, the fact that it is written in PHP has been a negative from our development perspective.

Approximately 9 months ago, I was formally introduced by one of my domestic friends to a very bright technologist in Bangalore, India.  He started his own company for the purpose of developing a Workflow based e-framework.  At the time I was introduced to him, he was hoping to find new business development in the USA.  In addition to my review of the product, I had several associates review the product to gain their feedback.  The product showed much promise, but it was lacking in areas that were important from our perspective. 

Over the course of the past 9 months, this small privately held startup in Bangalore has managed to evolve  their product to meet close to 90% of our wish list.  In addition, they have had the fortunate opportunity to have their development platform be used in parallel to a competing product for purposes of determining if this company should embrace this platform for their client development.  This project has been an overwhelming success, and the CEO has determined that this product is far superior to the one they have been using. 

This small startup company out of Bangalore, India has since become our development platform of choice.  It is 100% Java based. I would refer to it as a Visually Driven Web 2.0 RAD e-framework. 

Based on a Workflow Driven Framework
              a.  Discrete Functions can be defined as integrateable components
              b.  RAD Development accomodated by Visually Driven Interfaces
                      1.  WorkFlow Orhestration 
                      2.  AJAX component libraries included -- Additional ones easy to add
                      2.  Database Mapping and Persistence
                      3.  Forms Editor/Builder -- In Beta
                      4.  Charts and Guage Editor Builder -- JFreeCharts being Integrated 
                      5.  Report Writer/Builder -- JFreeReports being Integrated
                      6.  Composite Web Page Builder (General Idea Reference:  Laszlo Systems -- WebTop)
                             a.  In addition to the user interfaces that can be built from above, I am
                                 also exploring with the primary developer, the option to also provide
                                 a Composite Web Page Builder.
              c.  Secure User Role based Security already integrated
              d.  Human Centric workflow with managed routing and alerts
              e.  Integrated ("Simple") Document Management System -- To be expanded
              f.  Extensible Framework
              g.  Ability to write own components from existing component classes or totally new ones
              h.  Remove the need to do low level Java programming.
              i.  80% of the Java code is generated from the visually driven tools.  Improve program productivity
                  by multiple factor
              j.  Validating and Certifying it with the following Middleware Integration products:
                      1.  Talend -- Yes
                      2.  Mulesource  -- Under Review
                      3.  Jitterbit  -- Yes
                      4.  Snapbridge -- Yes
                      5.  Xaware  -- Yes
                      6.  Others under review

In addition the founder of this company becoming our Director of R&D, and we are developing our next Version of our BI platform based on this product. 

Given our desire to meet all of our wants and wishes when it comes to developing a CentraView type of product, we finally decided to embark upon our own development.  Given the need to decide upon an interim solution, I once again updated myself wtih regard to what is available.

Based on your message in this Forum, I decided to respond in detail.  First the fact that you have been using CentraView successfully, it provides validation that at least one firm is utilizing to an acceptable level of success.  Second, it is of high interest to me that you are interested in pursuing to see if others are interested in developing a CentraView type of product.

In addition to having a strong interest here, I would like to explore the possibility of using this development platform for this purpose. 

Please take a look at our website:  www.ermpartners.biz, and you will get an idea of our areas of focus.  While I provide some information with regard to this workflow engine platform, the material is somewhat outdated. 

If there is an interest to discuss this in greater detail, please feel free to email mae directly at:
      pgilmartin@ermpartners.biz, and we can explore our potential mutual interests here in greater detail.

Sincerely,

Patrick Gilmartin

• I would say no to that question as I would rather see a living community taking on the future development of this software rather than it be locked into a company.

I've tested many open source crm softwares and this is by far the best match to what I'm looking for that I've found, at least among the java based ones, although it's a bit outdated today. It's a pitty that it has been abandoned but on the other hand it's a good base to build on.

What I would encourage you to do is to contribute your improvements back to the community so that we can put some life into it again. I still see a business opportunity for you with providing hosted services and also support contracts, and you are most likely going to get better volumes if the community is bringing the software forward than if you do it on your own.

From the comments in this forum I see that there are interest, and also since a forked off EU version has been created.

Some questions to the community:
      * Are there anyone else who would be interested in continuing developing this software? Myself I could do the first task to update it to a more modern framework (this version I couldn't get to deploy on a modern jboss)

* The CentraView name is a registered trademark of the CentraView corporation, who seams to be out of business according to other post here in the forum. Does anybody have contact with these guys so that we can ask them if they would be willing to donate the name and domain to the community project? Otherwise a clone has to be created to continue developemnt.

* Are there any of the admins (in sourceforge sense) of this project active?

• Ben Smith
        Ben Smith
        2008-01-09

I evaluated and setup Centraview for my company.  It is by far, barring some major bugs, the single best CRM that I have found, and I've looked at A LOT. It has every feature that I am looking for. I am very disappointed that it is no longer in development. If it were, there is no doubt at all that I would be using it as well as recommending it to my clients.

• Count me as interested in continuing to develop this software.

Srinivas
        www.synbizsolutions.com

• I am the CEO of ECOsoft who has created the European/International version of CentraView. We use the software for some clients and also for ourselves. We have done quite some bug fixing and are still doing a lot. We are prepared to give our code to a community project if there is somebody who has the power to really bring this software and this project forward.

Right now I am abroad, but contact me in February, if you are interested to get our code:
      Christian.Heyner@ecosoft.net

• My company Synergetic Business Solutions tried to market Centraview, We were not successfully in selling it, but was able give a few demos. Centraview in its present state has many bugs, it can't print properly, functionality is limited especially Finance areas etc, but it is still a good base to start with.

I had been planning to invest into Centraview development, I am still contemplating.

Centraview being a community project needs more people to make it successful, since eventually the code has to be shared.

let me know your thoughts.

Srinivas
        www.synbizsolutions.com

• I've only recently become aware of centraview as I wasn't looking for this type of software before.  It looks so promising.  Its a shame that it has gone dormant.

• I spent a lot of time trying to make this CRM work and was impossible.

It has a lot of features, but nothing works fine, it is very very very VERY crowded of bugs. I've solved some but you would need years to finish cleaning all. The webmail module is the worst thing I ever seen.

The design of the code architecture is horrible.

Some of the bugs looked like if it were made on purpose. The only thing I can think is that their strategy is publish this version to try to sell tech support, because none module works entirely.

Stay away.

• I am very interested in keeping development going on this. Although, I am looking to it as a base to work from, in developing a more school administration type functionality vs business crm. I think its mostly cosmetic to make a conversion.

ultimav AT  G MAIL . COM

• Does any body want any help in feature adding to deployment of this application?

• Hi,
    as I see it the current codebase is too obsolete, I spent a lot of effort to bugfix to get a working version that at least could be evaluated. I still haven't found another java-based product with better functionality though.

As I see it any further development would have to start from a fresh base and use the old CentraView mearly as a blueprint, no code would be able to be reused, but on the other hand it's more feasible nowdays with modern frameworks.

• We have worked on Centraview product enhancement and bug fixing more than 3 yrs, we have enhanced and integrated following components in the product. We have made this product stabilized. We can help to customize this product as per business need and we have in and out knowledge about this product. we have done complete re-engineering of this product.

• Customizable dashboard to show bird’s eye view of users activities, tasks, reminders, alerts, e-mails, tickets, and key reports (Fusion charts integration in the product)

• Email component implementation using Ajax, integration of FCKEditor latest version

• Lead module enhancement to handle different complex rules and import different format files

• Uniform tabular listing in each modules with column sorting, filtering, and full text search on all fields

• Uniform detail page layout for each module showing detailed data with related information from other modules optimized for no-scroll in 1024x768 pixels layout

• Customizable views and user interface preferences

• Always-on quick links section and module tabs

• Frequently used tools and utilities like world clock and calculator integrated with Dashboard

• Internal module linking using complex custom fields

• Performance improvements of key modules by doing code optimization

We have provided Enterprise level product development with in-depth understanding of client’s business focus, needs and constraints, supported by flexible business models and complete sense of ownership of project by each team member. This resulted in a mutually profitable and constantly growing relationship bringing in business stability to both client and e-Zest.
    For development and technical help.

please contact – info@e-zest.in or visit www.e-zest.net

• We have worked on Centraview product enhancement and bug fixing more than 3 yrs, we have enhanced and integrated following components in the product. We have made this product stabilized. We can help to customize this product as per business need and we have in and out knowledge about this product. we have done complete re-engineering of this product.

• Customizable dashboard to show bird’s eye view of users activities, tasks, reminders, alerts, e-mails, tickets, and key reports (Fusion charts integration in the product)

• Email component implementation using Ajax, integration of FCKEditor latest version

• Lead module enhancement to handle different complex rules and import different format files

• Uniform tabular listing in each modules with column sorting, filtering, and full text search on all fields

• Uniform detail page layout for each module showing detailed data with related information from other modules optimized for no-scroll in 1024x768 pixels layout

• Customizable views and user interface preferences

• Always-on quick links section and module tabs

• Frequently used tools and utilities like world clock and calculator integrated with Dashboard

• Internal module linking using complex custom fields

• Performance improvements of key modules by doing code optimization

We have provided Enterprise level product development with in-depth understanding of client’s business focus, needs and constraints, supported by flexible business models and complete sense of ownership of project by each team member. This resulted in a mutually profitable and constantly growing relationship bringing in business stability to both client and e-Zest.
    For development and technical help.

please contact – info@e-zest.in or visit www.e-zest.net