Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

CDDB (FreeDB) issue

Help
Noah Davis
2009-09-17
2013-04-15
  • Noah Davis
    Noah Davis
    2009-09-17

CDDB lookups are failing in cdggui, and it appears cdgcddb.py is producing an incorrect fingerprint. Specifically, it appears the leadout track is not being included in the calculation. This may be a problem with cdrdao.
    Tested against grip, which correctly identifies the disc and produces a fingerprint of 'e00a3310', where cdgcddb.py produces a fingerprint of 'd309930f' (one track difference).

-  Info:
    -  cdgtools-0.3.2
    -  cdrdao-1.2.1

• Kelvin Lawson
    Kelvin Lawson
    2009-09-17

Hi,

Thanks for the report, it does look like an incorrect number of tracks. Could you let me know if this is happening on several CDs or just on one?

Thanks,
    Kelvin.

• Noah Davis
    Noah Davis
    2009-09-18

It appears to be happening on at least two CDs that I know of. I can check a larger sample tomorrow if you like. I can include a TOC from cdrdao as well if that will help. grip shows an additional track that is not present in cdggui, although this track has no name, and does not appear on the track listing that is included with the CD. I had the impression that it was just the leadout track, but I could be mistaken. In either case, grip is including that track in the track count and presumably in the total time and checksum portion of the fingerprint as well. The TOC cdrdao produces contains no information on this final track.

• Noah Davis
    Noah Davis
    2009-09-18

I did some more tests this morning, and it looks like this problem only occurs with discs produced by Best Karaoke. I've got four of them here (two double-CD sets), and all have the same problem.

On further inspection, it appears that these discs may be mixed mode. There is an additional track that grip sees and cdrdao appears to ignore. I'm not overly familiar with the various CD formats, so I'm not entirely certain how to diagnose this.

• Kelvin Lawson
    Kelvin Lawson
    2009-09-21

Hi,

Thanks for trying out the other CDs. I've had a look through the cdrdao options and can't see anything that would obviously change that behaviour. It might be worth asking of the cdrdao team, however, as they will have a deeper understanding of its internals.

Meanwhile I notice that cdrdao now actually performs CDDB server lookups itself using the "read-cddb" option. What would be very interesting (if you don't mind) would be to hear whether cdrdao's own read-cddb feature works on those Best Karaoke CDs. If that doesn't work then we can raise the issue with the cdrdao project.

Thanks.