Menu

No debug console / couldn't read from file

Anonymous
2014-04-29
2014-05-03
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-04-29

Transferring some large Final Cut Pro video project files off of a Mac hard disk connected via USB2 because I need to reformat it into ExFAT on a PC for cross-platform use. HFS Explorer kept stopping with "out of memory" errors, so I searched this forum for solutions and found your recommendation to create a runfsb_moremem.bat file increasing the memory for the program to 1GB. It got farther than before but this time stopped with a "java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't read from file" error. So I searched the forum for that error and found a post where someone had that problem and you told them to run the debug console and post the results. However, I looked where you said this option was (under the File menu) and it wasn't there. I then experimented and found that the debug console was available if I ran the program without this .bat file, but not when running it with the .bat.

I did take a screenshot of the error message which may contain all the stuff that would have been in the debug console. (Not sure.) But it's a lot of stuff to type in from a screenshot, so won't do that unless it's necessary.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-04-29

Oh wait, I do see there's an option to add attachments. Here is the screenshot.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-04-29

I tried the option of responding "yes" to "do you want to continue the extraction," but kept getting the error over and over, 20-30 times.

• Erik Larsson

Erik Larsson - 2014-05-01

The error message is quite vague, but I suspect that you are getting the message because you are experiencing problems with reading certain parts of your hard drive (i.e. bad sectors, errors when reading the disk surface).

I have uploaded a new preview build which should emit a much more helpful error message:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/catacombae/files/HFSExplorer/0.22pre%20%28snapshot%202014-05-01%29/

Please re-run the extraction with this build and report back the error message that you get.

If this is indeed a case of bad sectors case you should not attempt to re-use the hard drive but instead get all the data off the drive that you can rescue and then replace the defective hard drive with a working one.

Last edit: Erik Larsson 2014-05-01
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-05-03

Hi, Erik -- sorry I didn't see this note sooner. Thank you for getting back to me. In between my post and your note I looked at the folder that produced the error and it had several sub-folders within it. I checked those sub-folders on my Windows hard drive and noted that all but one of the folders that did get extracted had file sizes exactly identical to the one HFS Explorer reported should be there. So I decided that since the extraction had stopped after several big subfolders had been processed, I'd retry the extraction on the remaining subfolders individually. Doing that, the extraction completed successfully and I got all the information in the folder that originally produced that error. I will download the build however! Thank you for a great tool.