Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Conclusion: a buggy program

Help
2009-05-19
2012-11-19
  • Dennis Garber
    Dennis Garber
    2009-05-19

the "cannot create Avi" message happens about 70% of the time.    I spent hours trying to isolate problem.  The nearest is Not codec, is NOT rectangle size related, NOT unique filename,NOT drive related (two drives); Not freespace needed related;  NOT output directory.  Nearest guess is possibly the need for unique temp directory, but while more reliable, have had message when using a new directory.

other bugs are divx or xvid won't work; streamick will only occasionally record;  video and audio sync issues; often will record video  in a scewed manner.  These bugs pale in comparison with the "failed to create  output avi", which renders program nearly useless.

• Dennis Garber
      Dennis Garber
      2009-05-21

Researching, many people getting "cannot open/create avi"/  This pervasive issue need to be solved.

Tonight, I got 4 sucessful vids, then only occasionally able to create and avi, but only after changing temp dir.   Video codec independent and dimensionally independent.  Even number chosen for dimensions and placement.

After a while nothing but "unable to open avi"  message on stop.  

No support, no suggestions?

I don't see point in watching hulu, etc if I can't record.   And camstudio looks like best program, with straight forward interface.  Just doesn't work, and no help here.

• Dennis Garber
      Dennis Garber
      2009-05-27

I now conclude that Cam Studio has an ini bug, where one of the ini's get corrupted repeatedly.

The "unable to open avi" dialog on capture dialog's regularity, does make it useless.
      I can restore the ini files, reopen CS, then record.  I will not investigate further, other than wait for a "fix" or better workaround to be posted here.

PS. Layering is key to recording wmedia files.  Also, wm9 encoding is KING of quality, blowing away divx etc.   Most underrated encoder around.  

I will use CS to setup x and y, then use virtual dub to capture.  But this sucks and is a pity.  Hope this gets fixed.  But I doubt if it will get recognized or thought about.

• JanHgm
    JanHgm
    2010-12-20

@degarb

We hope to fix many of the bugs you reported and more in the new 2.6 CS releases.