Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

BZedit for *nix

Developers
Mike B
2005-06-26
2013-03-18
  • Mike B
    Mike B
    2005-06-26

Would be nice to have BZEdit for *nix (since that's where the game was designed). It doesn't work at all in wine. This seems to be a trend of only making the dev stuff for windows in OSS games now...

• Tim Riker
      Tim Riker
      2005-06-27

I'd like to see this as well.

Seems that another popular trend is that people ask for features but are unwilling to put any effort into implementing those features. =)

I'd also be eager to get any changes that would make the win32 version work better under wine.

Patches welcome.

• Daniel Remenak
      Daniel Remenak
      2005-06-27

As both a bzflag developer and a wine developer, I think it's necessary to point out that the right solution is _not_ to fix BZEdit to run on wine...it's to fix wine so that BZEdit will run right.  BZEdit runs fine on Windows, so it's not broken.  Wine is broken because it doesn't run BZEdit right and Windows does.  Right now the only thing in its way is a wine windowing bug that makes the gl view overlay the entire window (including menus and toolbars and so on), but it looks like quite a bit of work to fix.  I don't know of any workaround we could do from the BZEdit side, and a workaround wouldn't be the "right" solution by any means.

For what it's worth, there seems to be an updated fork of the old bzedit/*nix code at http://www.bzfed.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=5&MMN_position=10:10 which some people have used successfully.