Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Problem reading DVD after CreateDataDisk

Ernie Rael
2006-12-03
2013-04-23
  • Ernie Rael
    Ernie Rael
    2006-12-03

On WinXP-SP2, BwgBurn 0.6.3. After burning a disk, I exit BwgBurn and close the disk tray (the disk was just ejected). After closing the tray there is DVD seeking for a few seconds. I bring up a file explorer( and it shows "CD Drive" (when empty it shows "DVD-RW Drive"). I click on "CD Drive" and get more seeking for several seconds, but nothing shows up on the right/contents side. I can not access what was just written. I tried creating both an ISO level3 and a UDF. BwgBurn identifies the drive as "QSI  DVD+0RW SDW-082". I was not in the room for the entire process (it takes a while) but I saw no error. I did not have debug messages turned on. I tried rebooting the system once. Should XP be able to access the file systems on these disks?

Here's more of what I did. Drag a directory over that has around 5800 MB scattered through a 3-4 level deep directory structure, no single file is bigger that 10Meg. Delete directories in the DiskImage view until there is less than 4488 MB. Then do the burn.

I'll try some small stuff and see how that goes.

• Jack Griffin
      Jack Griffin
      2006-12-03

Yes, I introduced a bug in version 0.6.3.  I have fixed this and will have 0.6.4 out this weekend.  The problem was I was accidentaly prepending 150 blank sectors on the ISO image.  This is required for CD media but cannot be there for DVD media.  When I added the CD-TEXT support, I broke the DVD burning. 

Look for a new release tomrrow some time with the addition of DVD+R DL (9 G) support.

Note, small stuff will break as well, just wait for the update tomorrow (or late tonight if I can get through all of the testing I want to do.)

Thanks
      Sjcbulldog

• Ernie Rael
        Ernie Rael
        2006-12-03

Will take a look tomorrow evening.

Thanks,
        -ernie

• Ernie Rael
        Ernie Rael
        2006-12-04

I picked up version 0.6.2 and tried the same thing, ie copied over a directory, removed around a gig of stuff so it would fit; I burned a UDF with "4467 of 4488 MB". It seemed to go OK. I exited the app, and inserted the DVD. The directory structure and names look good; it thinks its a UDF. I then tried copying a directory with a subdir and some files from the DVD back to the system. I got the message
            Cannot copy <fname>: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
        Upon examination the directories were copied and it bombed on the first file. Copying individual files failed in the same manner.

These files are mp3 files from CD's that were ripped with itunes.

I tried a small burn, 61 of 4488, and this had the same problem.

I first thought this might be some kind of meta data preservation issue. I tried emailing myself a single file as an attachment (using thunderbird). This worked file.

• Jack Griffin
          Jack Griffin
          2006-12-04

Yes there were two problems.  The first problem is fixed and that was the problem with DVD burning.  The burning engine has been fixed.  The second problem is with the UDF file system.  I can burn ISO file systems, up to 8.1 Gbytes using DVD+R DL and they recursively compare the image on disk to the image I burned on the DVD.  These compare 100% all the time.  However, if I create a UDF file system instead of the ISO file system, it seems to work just file in many cases, but in cases with larger files, there seems to be a problem.  This UDF problem was probably created with the release of BwgBurn-0.6.2 when I extended the UDF file system support to handle files over 4 Gbytes in size.  I am looking into this now and hope to still release a fix tonight some time.

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Thanks
          Sjcbulldog

• Ernie Rael
      Ernie Rael
      2006-12-03

I tried dragging over a tree with 750 MB. Noticed that when it was done, it had "Finalize Disk (0%)". Was unable to read this disk, Free Space: 0 bytes, Total Size: 0 bytes.

Had the debug logging turned on. Got a lot of stuff like:
        12/2/2006 8:47:17 PM Debug-8 Bwg.Scsi.Device.Write(False, False, 158854, 56, IntPtr, )
        12/2/2006 8:47:17 PM Debug-9 Bwg.Scsi.Device.ReadBufferCapacity(False, out length, out available)
      And towards the end a lot of stuff like
        12/2/2006 8:50:30 PM Debug-9 Bwg.Scsi.Device.ReadBufferCapacity(False, out length, out available)
        12/2/2006 8:50:30 PM Debug-9 Bwg.Scsi.Device.TestUnitReady(out ready)

• Jack Griffin
      Jack Griffin
      2006-12-04

I have just released BwgBurn Version 0.6.4 which should fix many of the problems introduced in the last two releases.  Specifically it fixes the problem with saving Data Disk projects, the problem with the DVD burn engine burning incorrectly, and the problem with UDF images being created incorrectly.

Thanks
      Sjcbulldog

• Ernie Rael
        Ernie Rael
        2006-12-05

0.6.4 worked without problems to burn 4467 of 4482 as UDF. Many thanks.

Side question, unrelated to BwgBurn, which you may be able to answer; I think its a windows issue. In win explorer, when I hover over an itunes ripped mp3, I see a lot of fields in the popup, like Type, Size, Album, Artist, Duration, etc. but if the mp3 file is burned to DVD and I hover over the file on the UDF file system, I only get the fields Type and Size. If I copy the file back onto hard disk, then all the other fields show up again. Any idea what's going on here?

A BwgBurn related question. Instead of going to a device, if I go to an image, is there a way to have windows mount that image as a file which I can then access through the explorer? That could save some time/resources when playing around.

• Jack Griffin
          Jack Griffin
          2006-12-05

So, for your first question, I think this is just an issue with explorer.  The information about album, bitrate, title, genra, etc is all stored in the MP3 file.

As to your second question, look at a free package called daemon tools.  A quick search on google shows this as one of the top choices.  This allows you to mount an ISO image (either ISO 9660 or UDF) as a "virtual" cd rom drive.  I use it for debugging my ISO 9660 and UDF image creation.  It does exactly what you are looking for and it does it by treating the image as a virtual CD meaning the code to interpret the image format is the windows code.

Thanks
          Sjcbulldog

• Lord_Wacker
      Lord_Wacker
      2006-12-06

i've had similar problems, i should probably download the new version. I burned a DVD-R data disc that had a .rar file containing an assortment of about 40 or so .pdf files. My drive is compatible with BWG, or at least its on the list of drives that work. I burned two copies and deleted the files without testing the disc (doh!) Will this problem persist in 0.6.4?

• Ernie Rael
        Ernie Rael
        2006-12-06

Version 0.6.4 worked like a charm for me.

• Jack Griffin
      Jack Griffin
      2006-12-06

This problem should be gone in version 0.6.4.  Version 0.6.2 introduced a bug that was problematic with files that were not even multiples of 2048 bytes.  Version 0.6.3 added to this by introducing issues with the actual burn to the disk.  Both of these are fixed now.  If the files you had in the RAR file cannot be recovered, you can extract the track from the DVD using the Get Info program.  Then if you send me the track you extract, I can extract the files from that track.  It might take me a week or so as I will be traveling some for me real job.

Thanks
      Sjcbulldog

• Lord_Wacker
      Lord_Wacker
      2006-12-07

how do you extract the track?

• Jack Griffin
        Jack Griffin
        2006-12-07

Within the Get Information program, if you select a data track from the CD or DVD, a button should appear that says ISO Image ...  Press this button and it will prompt for a file name and then extract the track into the given file name.

Thanks
        Sjcbulldog

• Lord_Wacker
      Lord_Wacker
      2006-12-07

I get an error, but a lot of it seems to be debugging stuff:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
      just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
      System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
         at Bwg.GetInfo.GetInfoForm.Extract_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
         at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
      mscorlib
          Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
          Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
          CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
      ----------------------------------------
      Bwg.GetInfo
          Assembly Version: 0.0.6.3
          Win32 Version: 0.0.6.3
          CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BwgSoftware/BwgBurn%20Version%200.6.3/bin/Bwg.GetInfo.exe
      System.Windows.Forms
          CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
      System
          CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
      System.Drawing
          CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
      Bwg.Controls
          CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BwgSoftware/BwgBurn%20Version%200.6.3/bin/Bwg.Controls.DLL
      Bwg.Logging
          CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BwgSoftware/BwgBurn%20Version%200.6.3/bin/Bwg.Logging.DLL
      Bwg.Utils
          CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BwgSoftware/BwgBurn%20Version%200.6.3/bin/Bwg.Utils.DLL
      Bwg.Scsi
          CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BwgSoftware/BwgBurn%20Version%200.6.3/bin/Bwg.Scsi.DLL
      Bwg.Burner
          CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BwgSoftware/BwgBurn%20Version%200.6.3/bin/Bwg.Burner.DLL
      Bwg.Hardware
          CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BwgSoftware/BwgBurn%20Version%200.6.3/bin/Bwg.Hardware.DLL
      System.Design
          CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
      To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
      application or computer (machine.config) must have the
      jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
      The application must also be compiled with debugging
      enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
          <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
      </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
      will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
      rather than be handled by this dialog box.

• Jack Griffin
      Jack Griffin
      2006-12-08

I found the problem and its a bug.  I will have this fixed for the 0.6.5 release this weekend and you can use this release to extract the track.

Thanks
      Sjcbulldog

• Lord_Wacker
      Lord_Wacker
      2006-12-17

what can i do with this track?

• Jack Griffin
      Jack Griffin
      2006-12-17

How large is the track?

• Lord_Wacker
      Lord_Wacker