Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Padding Error

Help
Anonymous
2012-07-31
2013-04-30

• Anonymous
    2012-07-31

We’re using BWF MetaEdit to change some header metadata in BWAV and WAV files. For a few of the BWAV files, it looks like there is no metadata and there is an error “WAV:Padding” and that’s it. We can see the metadata in BWAVReader, so it’s apparently there. Any ideas? I am happy to send screenshots. Thanks!

• Not all applications abide by the RIFF padding rules when writing files. This is what BWF MetaEdit is indicating. If you want BWF MetaEdit to ignore this error you can select the preference "accept file if padding byte is missing". See the attached image showing this preference on the Mac GUI. When you do this, MetaEdit will overlook the error and allow you to work with the file. Note that it does not repair the file. It merely ignores it.

• Studio13
    Studio13
    2012-08-15

I'm also getting this padding error plus several others, i can provide more detail once I get back to the studio. My first question is can you recommend a supporting application that will allow me to fix these low level errors reported by BWF Metaedit ?? Is it even possible to edit / fix / rebuild or joss toss out the bad RIFF chunks associated with my wav files ? I'm confused on how to fix the problem. The wav's are created using ProTools HD 9 and Sony Soundforge 10. thanks !

• I do not know of a tool that will fix a padding error. The implications of a padding error are somewhat insignificant. While it is technically illegal, all programs we have tested will play it back just fine. It has become such a common error that while it is preferred to avoid it, it is somewhat of a non-issue. BWF MetaEdit performs validation and it is important for it to report such errors, but you can select the aforementioned property to have it ignore them. As for the other errors you are receiving, you will have to provide more details.

• Studio13
    Studio13
    2012-08-15

I used another tool to clear out the padding error in a batch process (there are 995 files) so looks like I'm clear of this error. The next problem is this message on a few hundred files from this batch ": invalid Wave: truncated" any tips ? how can I clean up this low level chunk info ? thanks !

• 1. What tool and batch process did you use?

2. The truncation error indicates that the actual file size is less than is stated in the file's chunk size declaration. Unlike padding errors, this can cause inconsistent behavior across applications. BWF MetaEdit is only intended to report this issue (Not fix it). Not knowing anything about your setup or process, I wouldn't know where to start on helping you determine where this issue is occurring or how to fix it. One thought: Not sure how you "fixed" the padding error, but if it was by lopping off a byte in order to have an even byte length this may be the source of your problem. Otherwise, I couldn't say.