Menu

Changes not being saved

General
Adam Heine
2010-08-12
2012-12-10
  • Adam Heine

Adam Heine - 2010-08-12

I have two main buddi files (one for my Thai money/accounts, one for US). When I open Buddi, both files open by default, but only changes in the Thai file are being saved. Any changes I make in the US file claim they are saved (and the buddi3bak files change their modified date), but no changes are actually saved, even if I revert to a backup.

I only update the US file about once a month, which is why I didn't notice this sooner. The most recent record in that file is June 7, 2010, and I may have updated sometime around then. I'm currently using version 3.4.0.2 on Windows 7.

Also this is kinda random, but the menus are now appearing with a black background and black text, so I can't see the menu options unless I mouse over them.

• Adam Heine

Adam Heine - 2010-08-12

I just tried doing Save As from the US file. Again it claimed to save it, but no file was created. When I opened Buddi again, only the Thai file opened (usually two windows open, one for each file).

• Adam Heine

Adam Heine - 2010-08-14

I also tried reinstalling using the Windows installer and following the steps listed here: http://buddi.digitalcave.ca/quickstart/windows7-install.jsp. It still does the same thing. Please help!

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2010-08-16

Hello,

Sorry for the delay; I have been out of town and have not had Internet access.  I have heard a couple of reports about the menus blacking out; however, I have not been able to reproduce the error, and am not sure of the reason for the issue.

As for the file not saving, it sounds as if there was an error while saving.  Can you please look in the Buddi log file and post the contents here (or if you prefer, email the file directly to me)?  You should be able to find the log file at C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Support\Buddi\log\Buddi.log.

Thank you.

• Adam Heine

Adam Heine - 2010-08-16

Thank you! I didn't realize there was a log file (on Windows 7, the log file was in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Buddi). I found the exception and managed to fix the problem, but here's what was happening for your (and others') benefit.

The exception was a CloneException saying the Budget category in the To field had to be an expense category (I'm sorry I don't have the stack trace-the log file was overwritten before I could copy it). The problem was I had two budget categories named "Other", one income and one expense. I renamed them to "Other Income" and "Other Expense" and then looked at the Transaction records.

Once I changed the category names, I could just search for "Other Income" because I knew the problem was "Other Income" sitting in the To category. It turns out the earliest transactions (from about 3 years ago) had been saved incorrectly, but Buddi hadn't complained about them until this most recent version. I manually updated those records to "Other Expense", saved it, and everything worked great.

Thanks again for your help. I hope I didn't sound impatient. I really appreciate your quick and helpful response, as well as your helpfully-written Exception message.

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2010-08-16

Thanks for the update.  It sounds as if the current version does stricter checking than previous versions; I must have added that to prevent other errors, although to be honest I don't remember the exact reasons for doing so.  At least it is working for you now, and the record is here in the forums for the cause and solution.  If you are able to reproduce it, and find the stack trace, I would greatly appreciate you sending it to me - I may be able to find the place in the code to automatically fix this, or possibly even check at load-time and fix at that point.

Cheers

• Adam Heine

Adam Heine - 2010-08-16

Here. I reverted to a backup and so reproduced the error. Hope this is helpful!

Aug 16, 2010 10:16:41 AM org.homeunix.thecave.buddi.Buddi main
    INFO: Buddi version: 3.4.0.2
    INFO: Buddi command line arguments:
    INFO: Operating System: Windows 7, x86
    INFO: Java VM version: 1.6.0_20
    INFO: Working directory: C:\Program Files\Buddi\
    Aug 16, 2010 10:16:42 AM org.homeunix.thecave.moss.i18n.Translator loadLanguages
    INFO: Could not load English from C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming\Buddi\Languages\English.lang: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming\Buddi\Languages\English.lang (The system cannot find the file specified)
    Aug 16, 2010 10:16:42 AM org.homeunix.thecave.moss.i18n.Translator loadLanguages
    INFO: Could not load English from C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming\Buddi\Languages\English.lang: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming\Buddi\Languages\English.lang (The system cannot find the file specified)
    Aug 16, 2010 10:17:43 AM org.homeunix.thecave.buddi.view.dialogs.BackupManagerDialog actionPerformed
    INFO: User restored file US Money_9.buddi3bak to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Budget\US Buddi Files\US Money.buddi3
    Aug 16, 2010 10:18:09 AM org.homeunix.thecave.buddi.model.impl.DocumentImpl$2 run
    WARNING: There was a problem cloning the data model, prior to saving.
    java.lang.CloneNotSupportedException: Budget Categories in the To position must be expense categories.
    at org.homeunix.thecave.buddi.model.impl.DocumentImpl.clone(DocumentImpl.java:1298)
    at org.homeunix.thecave.buddi.model.impl.DocumentImpl$2.run(DocumentImpl.java:465)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)