Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

1.19 and .1 vs <=1.17

Help
Andy Evans
2007-12-02
2013-05-02
  • Andy Evans
    Andy Evans
    2007-12-02

Hi,

I just noticed that in 1.19(.1, both) the lat & lon display in Con screen is missing on Windows XP (bluetooth or USB) but it is displayed on the PPC (iPaq 2795.) They came back around 1.16 and 1.17 when they were previously missing in the brief trials I've done. This is informational, and just to help, it is not a big deal to me.

After testing more on the PPC, I can Get Log at 220, but with Chunk Ahead set to 1. Anything greater creates significant lag. This download feature is important, after the resistor mod I can download onto my PPC via BT. It's pretty slow, but livable. Works well to unload the log when traveling, etc.

Thanks for your efforts, Andy

• Mario De Weerd
      Mario De Weerd
      2007-12-02

Hello Andy

On my Windows XP, the lat & lon is available.
      Check that in the menu -> setting, you have GPS decode set to active (a 'v' appears to its right if active).

Download over bluetooth is difficult to tune.  It also depends on the fix period.  Maybe one day I'll find out a way to have a consistent fast download over bluetooth.

• Andy Evans
      Andy Evans
      2007-12-03

Thanks Mario - you're right, to much fooling with the switches, I turned it off.

You're not on the spot trying to optimize, I think BT is intended as a lightweight protocol - although HQ audio streams pretty nicely. I think it is the serial port emulation on both sides. It will always be a bit of a bottleneck. It reminds me of when we connected to the Internet at 2400 baud. Now that was slow! (although we didn't know what fast was going to be back then - and who knows tomorrow)

Nice work, congratulations on a great, well featured piece of software. Beer on me.

Andy

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-12-03

The problem is not so much in the BT speed - I've had speeds that were pretty good (1kbyte/second).
        The problem is with how the device schedules replies over bluetooth.  I guess it has something to do with their 'power saving' mode - the device only receives when it emits.  When I switched off all NMEA output, it was impossible to send anything to the device using bluetooth!
        So the request ahead is needed to get more from the device, but there is certainly a way to set it up in a good way.  Sometimes I get the speed, sometimes I don't.