Documentation

Dirk Haase
2007-08-25
2013-05-02
  • Dirk Haase
    Dirk Haase
    2007-08-25

At time there is no documentation linked under 'Documentation'. After some time using your program is time now, to give something back. I make a small documentation - in German at my site (http://www.haased.de/gps_ge/bt747_anleitung.html). Its first a draft, much things are unknown. If you like, you can integrate they in this site.

Dirk

• Mario De Weerd
      Mario De Weerd
      2007-08-25

Thank you for your effort.  I can read and speak some German, but I'll not write some...  Here are some details:

As I see it, one way to develop the documentation is to enter it on the wiki.  The sourceforge interface allows uploading files to that space.  A benefit is that other people can edit that too.

An HTML page must in the end be updated by one person - that is a bottleneck.

Some small corrections are needed (although obvious):
      [Set & erase] - Werte im Gerät setzen, vorhandene Daten werden nicht gelöscht
      => Set (No erase).  And warn that this makes the log incompatible with the original SW.

On "Ctrl - Logintervall"
      => if the checkbox is not ticked, then this item will not be sent to the device.
      => The time can be written as '0.2' (e.g., 5Hz log).
      => The fix period determines the fix frequency (200ms = 5Hz).  Independent of 'Time' (log frequency)
      => If the fix period is 500ms, 2 points per second may be logged if the distance or speed condition is met.
      => SBAS:  Setting WAAS activates DGPS (in Europe).  Some satellites are in test and can be used by ticking the box.

On "Log - Auslesen der Daten"
      Device log on (/off) -

When off, the device does not log to flash.  Not permanent - will be on again after 'off' or on 'bluetooth' wakeup.
      When downloading over bluetooth, download speed is improved a bit by switching off.

Incremental - (?)

If part of the log is already downloaded, it will not be downloaded again.
      While data is being downloaded, control is still possible (but slower)

UTC - The offset is applied to all output formats.

[To CSV] - Daten als CSV-Datei speichern (kommagetrennt / Not exactly the same as the original SW and less bugs)
      [To PLT] - Daten als PLT-Datei speichern (OziExplorer)
      [To GPX] - Daten als GPX-Datei speichern (GPS Exchange Format http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp\)

On a portable device, writing an output format can take several minutes.
      Downloading over Bluetooth is much slower!!!  On Palm, keep your device powered on (no autooff).

File - Datenverwaltung

LogFile: - Name der bin-Datei   (raw log information from device).  You can also point to the bin file downloaded by the original application.  The bin file is not erased - you can archive it.
      Report: - (?)   - basename of output file (date and extension are added).  You can add a relative path to the 'Output dir'.  Example: '../Out'

Chunk: - (?)   - The size of a download request.
      Read timeout (ms): - (?)      - The time after which no reply from the device is considered as a failed request.

[Set values] - Speichert die Einstellungen im Gerät   - Save settings on this screen (on other screens done automatically) - must be set before new file settings are taken into account.

Fltr - Filter ?
      Nur Daten mit folgenden Kennzeichen berücksichtigen ?
      [TrkPt] - TrackPoint (?)  // Filter defintion for what is considered a trackpoint in the output format
      [WayPt] - WayPoint (?)   // Filter definition for what is considered a waypoint in the output format.

No fix - (?)      // fix not available or invalid
      SPS - (?)        // standard positioning service  mode, fix valid
      DGPS - Differntial GPS   // differential GPS, SPS mode, fix valid
      PPS - (?)           // Precise positioning service (Military)
      Time - Zeit
      Speed - Geschwindigkeit
      Distance - Entfernung
      Button - (?)       // When the user pushed on the button
      RTK - (?)          // Real Time Kinetic. Satellite system used in RTK mode with fixed integers
      FRTK - (?)         //  Float RTK. Satellite system used in RTK mode with floating integers
      Estimate - Schätzung (?)    Estimated (dead reckoning) mode

TimesLeft - (?)  // Number of times left to program these setting (normally 0)
      Update Rate - (?)   //  Default fix and update frequency

• Dirk Haase
        Dirk Haase
        2007-08-25

Thanks for your fast answer. I will change the documentation and try it to integrate it into the wiki.

Dirk

• Dirk Haase
        Dirk Haase
        2007-08-26

I add the documenation to the Wiki and link they to the Navigation.

But this editor makes me crazy ! I can't create a simple linebreak, html don't work. Or some text go his own format or is hidden behind the picture. But they stands in another cell of the table, so its impossible that the text go to the cell with the pic. :-(

Dirk

• Mario De Weerd
          Mario De Weerd
          2007-08-26

I found a workaround.
          I did 'embed media' en embbedded '<br>'.

When doing 'Text editor' this embedded media appeared as '[[media type="custom" key="271"]]' .
          I added this code everywhere where a line break was required.

• Mario De Weerd
          Mario De Weerd
          2007-08-26

You can also have a look in this document : http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pyCLH-0TdNe-5N-5tBokuOA&output=pdf .
          You'll find some explication of some acronyms.

• Dirk Haase
            Dirk Haase
            2007-08-26

Thanks for adding the line breaks. In next days i will add the missing comments from the pdf-file.

• Mario De Weerd
              Mario De Weerd
              2007-08-26

As a test, I've also added the documentation to the 'Documentation section'.
              More or less a cut/paste of your HTML, preceded with an upload of the images and a change of the relevant anchors.

• Dirk Haase
                Dirk Haase
                2007-09-01

We must maintain now two pages. Is it possible that you set under Documentation only a link to the Wiki-page? The documentation there is newer.

• Mario De Weerd
                  Mario De Weerd
                  2007-09-01

We will remove the documentation in the doucmentation tab - it was mainly for demonstration.

• Mario De Weerd
      Mario De Weerd
      2007-08-25

Another precision:

This program can download the data over bluetooth or USB!!!  Not just bluetooth.

• Dirk Haase
        Dirk Haase
        2007-08-26

Download via USB->Com works now. The reason was another driver for USB->serial interface (PL-2330) that i also use. I deinstall that driver for now and that fix the problem.

• Joe
      Joe
      2007-09-28

Hi Dirk,
      you wrote "Download via USB->Com works now". On PC or PDA ?

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-09-28

Dirk had that problem on a PC - I believe he mentioned it in the 'does it work' thread.  He also has a driver for another serial port over USB device.

• Joe
      Joe
      2007-09-29

Hi Mario,
      thx for your answer. I'm looking for 'working' pda usb-drivers. But that's another story.