Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Command line interface to BT747 implemented

2008-09-30
2013-05-02
  • Mario De Weerd
    Mario De Weerd
    2008-09-30

I've implemented a command line interface to BT747 inspired on the mtkbabel command line interface.

It is currently available in the debug releases (V1.57.6).

The BT747 command line interface allows converting 'csv' to 'gmap' too (and other conversions).

I implemented the 'batch' file to do this on windows.  For other systems, you should take the 'j2se' startup file and change the classpath slightly + change the call to java & add the command line parameters in the call.  If you did so and it works, post the script here or send it to me by email.

Example of usage on windows:

BT747cmd.bat -p COM4 -l on -d0 -t -w -r 0:0:10 -a -o-VALID_ONLY,RCR -outtype GMAP

Connects to serial port COM4, activates logging, no debug information (currently there is some that I'll deactivate later), get a gpx track file, a gpx way point file, set time logging to 0, speed logging to 0 and distance logging to 10, download the log from the device, disable the 'VALID_ONLY' field and activate the RCR field (keeping the other fields as they are) and also converting the downloaded log to a Google Maps HTML file.

The help text as returned by the application is this:

Option                                  Description                           
    ------                                  -----------                           
    -E                                      Erase data log memory                 
    -R                                      Recover from disabled log: erase data 
                                              and reset recording criteria        
    --UTC <Integer: UTCoffset>              Define UTC offset to apply to output  
                                              file                                
    -a                                      Read all the log memory (overlapped   
                                              data)                               
    -b <File: filename.bin>                 Do not read device, read a previously 
                                              saved file.The file type is selected
                                              according to the filename extension.
                                              Recognized file extensions are .csv,
                                              .trl,.nmea, .nme, .nma, .txt, .log, .
                                              sr .                                
    -d <Integer: DEBUG_LEVEL>               Debug level: 0..2                     
    -f <File: filename>                     Base name for saved files (.bin and   
                                              other)                              
    -h                                      Displays help                         
    -l <(on|off)>                           Turn logging ON/OFF                   
    -m <(stop|overlap)>                     Set STOP/OVERLAP recording method on  
                                              memory full                         
    -o <log_format>                         Enable or disable log fields (FIELD1,-
                                              FIELD2,...), available fields: UTC, 
                                              VALID,LATITUDE,LONGITUDE,HEIGHT,    
                                              SPEED,HEADING,DSTA,DAGE,PDOP,HDOP,  
                                              VDOP,NSAT,SID,ELEVATION,AZIMUTH,SNR,
                                              RCR,MILLISECOND,DISTANCE,VALID_ONLY 
    --outtype <OUTPUTTYPE>                  Create a gpx file of type GPX, GMAP,  
                                              KML, CSV, PLT, TRK                  
    -p <port>                               Communication port, default:          
                                              /dev/ttyUSB0                        
    -r <Integer: time:distance:speed>       Set logging criteria (zero to disable)
    -s <Integer: speed>                     Serial port speed, default 115200 baud
    -t                                      Create a gpx file with tracks         
    -v                                      Print BT747 version and exit          
    -w                                      Create a gpx file with waypoints      

• Mario De Weerd
      Mario De Weerd
      2008-10-20

Either everything works well or this command line interface is unused - I have very little feedback.

• Joern Weber
        Joern Weber
        2008-10-21

Hello Mario,

i don't use it, the i have not time and brain space to learn it. Or in other words, i to indolent for it. The current generation of young people think, the command line interface is a feature only for programmers. In reality, the command line interface is a nice feature for few freaks.

greetings Joern Weber

• Mario De Weerd
          Mario De Weerd
          2008-10-21

Hi Joern

Thanks for your feedback - I was looking to hear from those that requested a command line interface in the past (I got a few) and those that claim on their website that they prefer 'gpsbabel' because it has a command line interface.

Kind regards

Mario

• I'm interesting in this feature... perhaps because I am a programmer ;D

I have not been able to test for lack of time (work and family).

For me the most important thing is to be able to download the log automatically via a script to let me binary data in a folder / file specific.

Gpsbabel can download binary log, but always generates another target (csv, kml ...) and does not specify the name of the binary file.

Thanks Mario

Fernando

• I'm testing the following command:

BT747_1.60.6_es>BT747cmd.bat -a -f 20081026.bin -p COM3

but BT747_log.bin is created!

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2008-10-26

Hi

You are right.  That is a side effect of -b and -f referring to the same thing and hence an implementation error.  Corrected in 1.60.8.

You should not specify the '.bin' however as '-f' defines the 'basename'.

Give 'run_j2se.bat' a try too - the Desktop interface is close to a release.

• I test to modify BT747cmd.java in line 786 from:

if (options.has(OPT_DOWNLOAD) && !(options.has(OPT_BINARY_FILE))) {

to:

if (options.has(OPT_DOWNLOAD)) {

Example of usage on windows:

BT747cmd.bat -p COM3 -a -b e:\gps\20090108.bin -f e:\gps\gpsdata --outtype KML

-b => Raw binary log (same as j2se option)
      -f => Output directory + Output file prefix (same as j2se options)

The rest of options are unchanged.

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2009-01-09

This change (and an extra one related to tthis) has been implemented in Version 1.67.1.

Further, it is also possible with Version 1.67.1 to geotag JPG files.  They can be added as extra parameters on the command line.
        By default, the UTC offset (-UTC) will also be used for the files but you can specify the offset with another parameter "-tz".  Accepted formats for "-tz" are "01:03" (hours:minutes) and "03:05:06" (hours:minutes:seconds).  It is possible to add a sign in front of this
        I gues I need to change the sign interpretation to apply only to the hours and not to the minutes and seconds.

• Yuval Kantor
      Yuval Kantor
      2009-04-01

Hello Mario,

I have started using the command line interface and it seems very promising; I would like to implement something running in the background, waiting for a GPS device to be connected. Once a GPS connection is identified, I want it to download the data and run some analysis on the data.

One thing I still haven't managed to do is to make BT747 identify the port automatically.

When I type "BT747cmd.bat -l on" I get the following error message:
      gnu.io.NoSuchPortException
      281 -
      Listing known ports:
      390 - SER  :COM1
      390 - SER  :COM3
      390 - PAR  :LPT1

I am sure I am missing something, since I managed to connect to USB (I am using WinXP) using the graphical application.

Thanks a lot,

Yuval

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2009-04-01

The best thing to do is to specify the port name:
        BT747cmd -p COM3 -l on

for example.

I think the default is COM4 and would be surprise that the graphical application connects to another port.  The automatic search works essentially on *nix or Mac.

• Gareth
      Gareth
      2009-08-21

I think one of the posts wanted confirmation that the command line worked from linux? It does! This is version 1.68.25
      Are there any return values set by the jar on success/failure?
      Here are a couple of scripts. I have the script scanit called once per minute from cron. This performs a check to make sure it isn't already running, then if not.
      It creates a new 'base' name: Todays date plus a number
      It checks to see whether the qstarz Q1000P datalogger is within range. If so, and it has just come into range (i.e. last check was out of range), it creates a bluetooth link.
      It then downloads the current data over the bluetooth link. Then converts the data to a GPX file, todays date, with each track dated after that.
      If successful, it erases the logger.
      It then sets the logger back to record, and closes the bluetooth link.
      The aim of this is for use on a boat. The logger will log whilst the boat is in motion, and if taken off the boat, will log the track taken. Then, once back onto the boat, it will be automatically downloaded and erased ready for more logging.

scanit---
      #!/bin/bash
      cd ~gareth
      scanitrunning=`ps -ef |grep -c \[s\]canit`

if [ "$scanitrunning" -lt 4 ]
      then
      found=`hcitool scan |grep iBT-GPS`

if [ "x$found" != "x" ]
      then
      if [ -a "/tmp/searchdone" ]
      then
      #echo "Already downloaded"
      exit
      fi
      touch /tmp/searchdone
      #echo "Device available"
      bash rfcomm-cmd &
      sleep 2
      bash bt747-cmd
      rfcomm release /dev/rfcomm1
      wait
      else
      #echo "Hardware missing"
      rm  -f /tmp/searchdone
      fi
      else
      echo "Scanit running"
      echo -n
      echo $scanitrunning
      ps -ef |grep \[s\]canit
      fi
      ---

rfcomm-cmd---
      rfcomm connect rfcomm1 00:1C:88:10:DB:40
      ---

bt747-cmd---
      cd ~gareth/bt747/
      mbase="`date +%Y_%m_%d`"
      count=0
      base=$mbase-$count
      while [ -a GPS-$base.bin ]; do let count=$count+1;base=$mbase-$count; done
      success=`./run_j2se.sh -p /dev/rfcomm1 -f GPS-$base --download-method SMART -a 2>&1 `
      osuccess=`echo $success |grep SUCCESS`
      if [ "x$osuccess" != "x" ]
      then
      success=`./run_j2se.sh -b GPS-$base.bin --outtype gpx -f GPS-$base --splittype day --UTC -7 2>&1 `
      osuccess=`echo $success |grep "Conversion done"`
      if [ "x$osuccess" != "x" ]
      then
      ./run_j2se.sh -p /dev/rfcomm1 -E
      else
      echo "Error occurred converting data to gpx"
      echo $success
      fi
      else
      echo "Error occurred Downloading data"
      echo $success
      fi