Tell us if this application works or not

2007-08-21
2013-05-02
1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)
  • Mario De Weerd
    Mario De Weerd
    2007-08-21

Please let the community know if this application works for you or not and on which platform.
    If you needed to do special things to make it work, let us know too.

• Dirk Haase
      Dirk Haase
      2007-08-25

Windows XP Home, noname Bluetooth-stick with BlueSoleil-diver - works OK

Steps:
      - i-Blue 747 to Nav
      - Connect the GPS in BlueSoleil-Software to a com-port
      - start bt747 - select the right com-port
      - it works

• Mario De Weerd
      Mario De Weerd
      2007-08-25

In my case, this application works on a Palm Lifedrive.

I can download the log on my Palm and convert it there if I want.

In order to avoid a crash during the download (which happens when the power switches off), the option 'On while Charging' in the preferences is set to on.  By charging the device while downloading, I assure that it does not switch off.

It takes longer on my Palm to download the data, but generally I start the download before going to dinner and when I get back it is all done.  Writing a CSV on my Palm takes several minutes if I do it for the 2MB binary log (on my PC it takes 7 seconds).

It also works on my PC (Windows XP).  It just requires that the USB to serial driver is installed.

The use of this application for me on the PC is: more control over the device, more formats and less bugs than the original application.
      The use of this application on my Palm is: change log settings of the device without the need of a PC, download (and archive the log) for security and empty the device when it is full.

• iwashifish
      iwashifish
      2007-08-28

I tried to work on my Mac, but It didn't launch with below error messege.

Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
      /Users/.../Desktop/BT747_20070827_005925/build/BT747.jar

Would you like to tell me how to work on MacOSX in detail?

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-08-28

For starters, look at 'run_me.bat' .
        BT747.jar does not have the main class, waba_only.jar does.  The main class is waba.applet.Applet.
        You must give the parameter BT747, which telles this main class what the name of the (Super)Waba applet is.

Basically, any system will start the application with something like this:
        java waba.applet.Applet BT747

That should start the application if the CLASSPATH is set correctly.

The most difficult part is setting up rxtx correctly.

• Mario De Weerd
          Mario De Weerd
          2007-09-25

Hello

I am responding to your message again as another user advanced on making it run on Mac.  He ran into trouble when trying to connect to the serial port - the one defined in the program was not the best one.  0.96.3 has a change for this, but I did not get a feedback from the user yet.  Anyway, all his feedback indicates that it will work with the correct port.

When looking at your message again, I think that you tried to start the '.jar' directly - in that case java looks for a main class.  There is no main class.  The application is an applet and must be started using the waba applet.  The application jar to be used on Mac is BT747_rxtx.jar  (which uses the rxtx extension available on macintosh).  To know how to launch it, you should inspire yourself for the moment on the 'run_rxtx.bat' script (for windows).  You also need to install the CP2102 drivers available from silicon labs (see the wiki page on this site for a link).

As sson as a Mac user gives me a script to make the application run on a Mac, I'll add it to the distribution.

• Csuhas
      Csuhas
      2007-08-31

The track log downloading very very slow (1..2 hours) in PDA

My system:

FS C550 PDA
      GPSGATE 2.5 build 210
      BT747 0.95.5
      Qstrz Q1000 logger with BT resistor patch

Sorry I'am very little englis :-)

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-08-31

Download over bluetooth is slower than over USB - there seems to be some kind of BT scheduling going on.

You can play around with the 'chunck size' and the 'timeout' to see if you can improve performance a bit.
        Disabling logging seemed help for me.

What I've seen is that on my Palm, decreasing the timeout too much, decreases performance.  I would leave that set to 3500 ms.  Some people said they have better performance with a chunck size of 512.

• Csuhas
      Csuhas
      2007-08-31

Logging off; Time out: 3500mS; Chunk: 512 but downloading very slow: cca 200byte/sec! (byte and not kbyte)

But if downloading usb cable then all right.

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-09-18

The download speed just got improved: close to 1k/sec - see the changelog for info (Version 0.96.1)!

• Mario De Weerd
      Mario De Weerd
      2007-09-15

I've just validated that the application works on PCLinuxOS 2007.
      My PC is a dual AMD64 core.

There was no need to install java 1.4: I used the available java version.  I had to adjust the run_rxtx.sh script a bit (the update will be in release 0.99.13).

The webstart application worked immediately (http://bt747.sourceforge.net/BT747.jnlp [for testing only!!]).

I connected to Port 0, download the log, wrote a Google Maps HTML file that I viewed in Firefox on the PCLinuxOS system.

• Csuhas
      Csuhas
      2007-09-20

Thanks! Download speed OK.

• Levien van Zon
      Levien van Zon
      2007-09-20

BT747 works perfectly on Ubuntu Feisty. I have the sun-java6-jre and librxtx-java packages and dependencies installed from the universe and multiverse repositories. The kernel automagically recognises the CP2102 usb-uart-bridge in the i-Blue747 and creates a device (e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0):

usbcore: registered new interface driver cp2101
      drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.c: Silicon Labs CP2101/CP2102 RS232 serial adaptor driver v0.07

Just download unzip the BT747 distribution file. I use the following script to start the program:

--------

#!/bin/sh

RXTXPATH=/usr/share/java
      RXTXLIBPATH=/usr/lib

export CLASSPATH
      CLASSPATH=${RXTXPATH}/RXTXcomm.jar:webstart/Waba_only.jar:dist/BT747_rxtx.jar:.:$CLASSPATH

java -Djava.library.path=${RXTXLIBPATH} -Dbt747_prefix="/dev/ttyUSB" waba.applet.Applet /w 300 /h 300 /scale 1 /bpp 8 BT747

--------

That's all. :)

Some optional stuff:

If you want to install it system-wide, you can move the dist/ and webstart/ dirs somewhere to /usr/local/lib (e.g. /usr/local/lib/bt747 and /usr/local/lib/superwaba), and then put a script in /usr/local/bin with CLASSPATH changed to CLASSPATH=${RXTXPATH}/RXTXcomm.jar:/usr/local/lib/superwaba/Waba_only.jar:/usr/local/lib/bt747/BT747_rxtx.jar:.:$CLASSPATH

If you have a modified GPS device that can do two-way communication over Bluetooth, you can use /dev/rfcomm instead of /dev/ttyUSB. Just make sure you create an entry for the device in /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf, something like:

rfcomm0 {
              bind yes;
              device 00:0B:0D:89:14:1B;
              channel 1;
              comment "i-Blue747";
      }

You can find the device address using "hcitool scan". Its passkey is 0000, the system should ask for it but you can also configure it in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf. You will probably have to restart the hci daemon afterwards using "sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart".

Now install Google Earth (from Medibuntu), qgis, gpsdrive, gpsbabel, gpscorrelate-gui or whatever packages you may need, and start having fun. ;-)

-Levien

• Csuhas
      Csuhas
      2007-09-25

While downloading of BT tracklog the downloading sometimes is very
      slowly. The traclog counter is jumping every minute. Itis much quicker when I
      steps on menus. I am not able to repoducate it. Perhaps there is some
      insecurity of the initizatialization. It looks as if the baud rate would
      be 4800, sometime 115200. Anybody meets with the same?

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-09-25

1. Following your comment, I update the code to force a redraw of the progress bar when updating the value (>0.96.3).
        2. The download over bluetooth is very difficult to adjust.  Here are parameters that influence the download over bluetooth:

- Fix period.  As far as I observe, the device only responds when it emits.  A shorter fix period makes it emit more frequently.  I set the fix period to 500 ms.  However, at the same time I limit the amount of information sent by setting most of the 'NMEA period' "frequencies" to '2', except for "RMC".  Setting values to '2', means that the specific NMEA message is sent only once every other 'fix'.  With a fix at 500ms, the message is then sent every second.  I've noticed that increasing the fix period did not help for the settings I had - it worsened.

- Chunk size.  I have the impression that the devices 'schedules' its responses in between the other messages.  When the chunk size is big, it either can not schedule them, or they are not correctly transmitted (reception or transmission buffer too small???).  Data chunks seem to be transmitted when they are under 650 or so.  However, I observed the best setting to be '220' (in combination with the other settings).

- Chunk ahead requests.  It takes a while for the device to receive the request and then to prepare the response.  When this value is set to '0', a request is only sent when the previously requested data is received.  This is the behaviour in the earlier versions of the software.  When the value is set to '1', two requests will be sent to the device.  When the reply for the first request is received, data will be requested for the data following the initial second request.  This creates a 'pipeline' of requests.  I found the best setting to be '3' in my case.

- Read timeout.  When data transmission/reception errors occur, the data request is considered failed after this timeout.  Setting it too small will not leave enough time for the device to respond and the queue will be filled with requests, slowing the operation down considerably.  Setting it too big will make error recovery slow.  I found 3500 ms to be a good setting, but under good conditions, setting it to a bigger value should not have an effect.

- Device log on/off.  At the beginning, I thought that deactivating device logging improved performance.  Currently, I do not notice any difference anymore (given the pipelining).

One last word.  To better understand your problem, it is best to provide the above parameters, your system, device and the SW version.  I suggest that you play around with the parameters and see if you can find a better configuration for your devices.  You can report back here to share your findings.

• Csuhas
      Csuhas
      2007-09-26

No. The listed parameters, the speed of the download working well is modified. But in the function of a some kind of hidden parameter sometimes wrongly, the download takes the slowly. Something does not initialize the program the launch of the download. The download speeds using the menu sometimes.

• Joe
      Joe
      2007-09-28

Works on (PDA) Toshiba e750 WM2003 with BT-SDIO-Card and Qstarz BT-Q1000.
      Works on Win XP SP2 with USB-Connection. (BT not tested yet).
      BT747 is a must for me. Mario did a great job. Thx for give me such a lot of features and the possibility to use my pda with the receiver for configuration and data-saving.

• Benoitb
      Benoitb
      2007-09-29

Hi !

I'm using a i.Trek Z1 and a Linux-based PC.
      I link those devices with the USB cable. When I plug it, I get a /dev/ttyUSB0 device and if I use gpsd and xgps, I can see the GPS datas.

I can also launch the software v0.96.3 using this script :

#!/bin/sh
      MYROOTPATH=.
      RXTXPATH=${MYROOTPATH}/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2
      RXTXLIBPATH=${MYROOTPATH}/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2/Linux/i686-unknown-linux-gnu
      export CLASSPATH
      CLASSPATH=${RXTXPATH}/RXTXcomm.jar:webstart/Waba_only.jar:dist/BT747_rxtx.jar:.:$CLASSPATH

# Change the port prefix by adding the following option to the java invocation:
      #     (the example is for ports like /dev/ttyUSB0)
      #  -Dbt747_prefix="/dev/ttyUSB"

#strace -e trace=file -f -o trace.log
      java -Dbt747_prefix="/dev/ttyUSB" -Djava.library.path=${RXTXLIBPATH}  waba.applet.Applet /w 320 /h 320 /scale 1 /bpp 8 BT747

Current path : /home/bbegue/Documents/Downloads/BT747_0.96.3_full
      Key emulations:
      F1-F4 : HARD1 to HARD4
      F5 : COMMAND
      F6 : MENU
      F7 : CALC
      F8 : FIND
      F9 : LAUNCH (HOME)
      F10: KEYBOARD_ABC
      F11: KEYBOARD_123
      F12: ACTION (Center button press)

opening for read 5SW.pdb
      #1 - dataPath
      #2 - classpath
      #3 - jar file
      found in sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection$JarURLInputStream@1457cb

opening for read 5SW.pdb
      #1 - dataPath
      #2 - classpath
      #3 - jar file
      found in sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection$JarURLInputStream@911f71

--------many blank lines------------

1187 - PMTK604
      Info: trying to open /dev/ttyUSB0
      Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
      Stable Library
      =========================================
      Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
      Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
      check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.
      please see: How can I use Lock Files with rxtx? in INSTALL
      check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.
      gnu.io.NoSuchPortException
              at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifier(CommPortIdentifier.java:218)
              at gps.port.GPSRxTxPort.openPort(Unknown Source)
              at gps.GPSrxtx.setPortAndOpen(Unknown Source)
              at gps.GPSstate.setPort(Unknown Source)
              at GPSconctrl.GPS_setChannel(Unknown Source)
              at GPSconctrl.onEvent(Unknown Source)
              at waba.ui.Control.postEvent(Control.java:600)
              at waba.ui.Button.onEvent(Button.java:201)
              at waba.ui.Window._postEvent(Window.java:590)
              at waba.applet.SWEventThread.handleOneEvent(SWEventThread.java:84)
              at waba.applet.SWEventThread.run(SWEventThread.java:48)
              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
              at gps.GPSrxtx.setUSBAndOpen(Unknown Source)
              at gps.GPSstate.setUsb(Unknown Source)
              at GPSconctrl.GPS_setChannel(Unknown Source)
              at gps.GPSrxtx.openPort(Unknown Source)
              at gps.GPSstate.GPS_connect(Unknown Source)
              at gps.GPSstate.GPS_restart(Unknown Source)
      Experimental:  JNI_OnUnload called.

• Benoitb
      Benoitb
      2007-10-07

Hi !

Thanks for the tip, it seems to be better, when I try to connect I'm switched to the Log Tab as explained in the manual.
      However, I can't get my log and the connection tab doesn't display any additionnal information.

It's like I'm still not connected.

Here is the output :
      5045 - PMTK604
      Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
      Stable Library
      =========================================
      Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
      Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
      13191 - PMTK605
      13192 - PMTK182,2,12
      13193 - PMTK182,2,7
      13214 - PMTK182,2,8
      16718 - PMTK182,2,10
      20223 - PMTK182,2,6
      23738 - PMTK182,2,2
      27244 - PMTK182,2,12
      30751 - PMTK182,2,7
      34255 - PMTK182,2,8
      37768 - PMTK182,2,10
      41276 - PMTK182,2,6
      319873 - PMTK604
      319903 - PMTK605
      322375 - PMTK182,2,12
      322377 - PMTK182,2,7
      325877 - PMTK182,2,8
      329378 - PMTK182,2,10
      332896 - PMTK182,2,6
      440459 - PMTK182,2,12
      440512 - PMTK182,2,7
      440513 - PMTK182,2,8
      440514 - PMTK182,2,10
      444023 - PMTK182,2,6
      462184 - PMTK490
      477176 - PMTK414
      478136 - PMTK490
      481207 - PMTK182,2,12
      481209 - PMTK182,2,7
      Experimental:  JNI_OnUnload called.

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-10-07

On PC, I get something like the following:

329 - PMTK604
        Port found: COM4
        15032 - PMTK605
        15047 - <PMTK705,M-core_1.94,001B,
        15063 - PMTK182,2,4
        15063 - PMTK182,2,5
        15079 - <PMTK182,3,4,500,
        15094 - PMTK182,2,3
        15094 - <PMTK001,182,2,3,
        15094 - PMTK400
        15094 - <PMTK182,3,5,0,
        15094 - PMTK413

Anything prefixed with '<' corresponds to a reply of the device.

I did not add debug data regarding the regular GPS data that is sent without requesting something from the device (maybe I should do that).

It does look like you are connected to the '/dev/ttyUSB0' port.

If that is truely the case, there are still some possibilities:
        a. You device is not in LOG mode;
        b. You did not connect to the correct port (is it the same port as for the other two applications?).
        c. The port is not bidirectional (on your machine).
        d. You need to use another port - on Mac, there is a port called '/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART' that works in 'bidir' - does it exist on your machine?

I'll add something to retrieve some standard GPS data from the device and show it in the interface.  That will at least confirm that reception is OK.  In your case it could still simply be that the output commands do not arrive at the device.

• Mario De Weerd
          Mario De Weerd
          2007-10-07

I have another suggestion to see if it works:

Download a 'debug' program from http://www.captain.at/howto-java-serial-port-console.php .

I had to change the baud rate in App1.java to get some readable information.  A compilation script is provided with that application:

serialPort.setSerialPortParams(0x1c200, SerialPort.DATABITS_8,
                             SerialPort.STOPBITS_1,
                             SerialPort.PARITY_NONE)

Change the run.sh as needed to open the correct port.

On windows, this app does not send my commands correctly, but you'll be able to validate reception using the rxtx package better (for the time being).

• Benoitb
      Benoitb
      2007-10-07

I feel ashamed, I didn't know that the device needed to be in log mode. It seems to work perfectly now.
      So the only problem I had was the permission on the lock file.
      Otherwise it runs perfectly fine.

• Benoitb
      Benoitb
      2007-10-07

Does it still provide you some helpful information if I test your debug program ?
      If it can help you for the development of your app, I'll do it with pleasure.
      And thank you for supporting and helping me !

• Mario De Weerd
        Mario De Weerd
        2007-10-08

I pointed to the debug program mainly in order to try to determine where the problem was coming from on your computer and to see if you did get the normal GPS data from the datalogger.

Other than that, it is of no use.

Thanks anyway - the main thing is that it is working - other people may experience the same problem as you and see the solution here!

1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)