OS 10.4.5 Install/Uninstall

Help
2006-02-26
2013-04-22
  • Can you please help.

I cannot seem o get the program running, even after reading through the boards.  Can you please do a step by step install/uninstall for the OS 10.4.5?

• Sean Morrison
      Sean Morrison
      2006-02-27

If you install from the BRL-CAD Mac OS X .dmg, the entire suite of tools will be installed into /usr/brlcad on your filesystem.  BRL-CAD is historically a centered around a UNIX methodology and command line tools and interfaces so a considerable portion of the power in the package is spread out among many tools.  Most first-time users, though, are simply interested in the current main GUI modeler, which is named 'mged' (which stands for the Multi-device Geometry EDitor).  There are other GUI tools, and a couple in development, but MGED is what most learn first.  There is a detailed tutorial on MGED available on the website at http://brlcad.org under the documents section.

To run, you (presently) need to have X11 installed.  Run X11, set your PATH if you haven't to include /usr/brlcad/bin, and run mged:

export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:$PATH
      mged

The dependency on X11 will eventually go away so you end up with a double-clickable modeler and shell icon that gets shoved into your applications folder, but for now it's not that way (help welcome).

Uninstallation is a simple matter of deleting the /usr/brlcad directory:

rm -rf /usr/brlcad

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
      Sean

• Mattinker
      Mattinker
      2006-10-20

I followed instructions, but I'm not a computer nerd! I have tried to enter "export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:$PATH
      mged " with several permutations!

I'm a computer cretin!

Matthew TINKER

• Sean Morrison
        Sean Morrison
        2006-10-20

I need more information about what exactly you input, and what error or messages it reported back to you.  The steps mentioned in the previous message are what should work.  For an even more simplistic approach, the following should also work:

1) run X11
        2) in the xterm window that opens type:
          /usr/brlcad/bin/mged

If that doesn't open up two mged windows, then there's something else wrong.  If you're on an Intel Mac, you might just want to wait until the next binary release (which should be next month).

Cheers!
        Sean

• Mattinker
      Mattinker
      2006-10-20

Well I don't know what's different, but I reinstaled BRL-CAD and X11. Well, as if by magic it loaded!

Thanks, Matthew