Export

Help
Gerry Mos
2013-01-28
2013-04-22
  • Gerry Mos
    Gerry Mos
    2013-01-28

I'm trying to export a tire model created in Archer, I look up the pdf file and it quotes the sequence, which I enter into the command section, but all I get is a no code response.
    I assume from this that the code is not integrated yet.

I wanted to use the tire code, as it produces such good output and very controllable.

How can I get exported models, OBJ, STL or IGES out?

I have to say the documentation is not great and tutorials are very limited. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2013-01-28

It's not clear at all what pdf documentation file you're using (we have dozens) or what command you're entering (possibly hundreds) or what response you got (no code means what?).  It's a complex system with complex documentation, so it's understandable, but I think you're getting confused by the *archer* command prompt and the *console* command prompt.  Hopefully with your own message, you can see how writing something clear and useful for all possible readers is not easy… :)

To get an exported model out, you'll run one or the provided converters like g-obj or g-stl, provide the name of the .g file and the name of the object you want to convert.  The "tire code" can be run inside archer (on the archer command prompt) or outside archer (on the console command prompt).  After you run the tire tool, you'll run a converter (on the console command prompt).  The short version:

run archer
    create tire (inside archer)
    get name of tire (inside archer via 'tops' command or look at hierarchy)
    exit archer
    run: g-obj -o file.obj input.g name_of_tire

Something like that may work.  Note that having tread on the tire makes it incredibly complex and may cause problems during export, but you can try.

Final note, the "archer" interface is experimental.  We don't even yet consider it to be in "alpha" status where it's mostly complete.  It's incomplete and it does not yet have documentation.  It just happens to have a lot of the same features as mged, so some of the existing documentation happens to be useful.