Help
Hans G.
2010-04-27
2013-04-22
  • Hans G.
    Hans G.
    2010-04-27

Dear BRL-Users,

I would like to know what the usual way is to create a technical drawing and parts list from a database with specific objects.

I have added some examples:

Thanks for your help
    Hans

• Hans G.
    Hans G.
    2010-04-28

I read the message from Sean (2005-11-04). The save to plot or postsript seems to be the way; after that I will have to add the dimensioning as well as the parts list manually in another software.

Or do you know a better solution?

• Matthew Ayres
    Matthew Ayres
    2010-04-29

I'd just like to add my interest to this topic.  I would also benefit from such information.

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-06-03

A combination of the 'rtedge' and 'rt' commands can be used to generate technical drawings such as the one you show.  Here's an example of rtedge on a detailed model:

http://brlcad.org/gallery/s/renderings/havoc_rtedge.png.html

• Hans G.
    Hans G.
    2010-06-12

Thanks Sean.

Is there a way to add length and width, diameter, surface properties (…) to the drawing?

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-06-14

Not presently.  We've been working on adding in support for (automatic and manual) annotations for adding notes and dimensioning to images, but that work is incomplete.  So for now the best recommendation is to bring your images into other software for adding your notes.  It's likely that an automatic interface will be available before the end of this year, but it'll take a while to develop.

• Hans G.
    Hans G.
    2010-06-19

Automatic and manual annotations sounds great :-)

• > It's likely that an automatic interface will be available before the end of this year, but it'll take a while to develop

Is any changes for status of this or related features? Thanks!

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2012-05-18

There have been several developments in this area including several annotation features being integrated into our new prototype GUI.  It's still not to the point, though, of being announced as ready for production use.  Most of our efforts over the past year have gone towards working on the prototype/merging of archer/mged, towards STEP conversion support, and support for fully hybrid parametric modeling (NURBS/BREP support).