Generating a geographic surface

Help
2011-05-01
2013-04-22
  • Charles Warner
    Charles Warner
    2011-05-01

In the screenshot album on at BrlCAD home, there is "Puget Sound rendering screenshot".  Trying to track down how this was accomplished in BrlCAD has resulted in several dead ends.  I have a GIS rendition of the area (several different formats, actually) I am interested in, and have also digitized this (55,000+ xyz points defined).  Now I would like to use BrlCAD to create a solid surface from the map or the digitized points (ultimately to do water flow studies).  Does anyone know how the Puget Sound rendering was done?

• klyttle
    klyttle
    2011-05-03

I saw this as well and I thought to myself: "Man, that is so cool!" I mean. this is going in a direction completely different from the core engineering analysis and rendering of mechanical components/assemblies that BRL-CAD is known for, doesn't it?

I'd be interested to learn how this Puget Sound stuff was done myself. I will most definitely keep an eye on further developments in this regard.

• Charles Warner
    Charles Warner
    2011-05-03

Actually, my goal is to build a mesh for a CFD analysis of tidal currents in a channel- so it is not all that far from "completely different from the core engineering analysis and rendering of mechanical components/assemblies that BRL-CAD is known for…".  I see additional applications for studying flood basins, etc…

• klyttle
    klyttle
    2011-05-03

Ahh! I see your point.

Basically you're applying a paradigm that is more geological, rather than strictly mechanical, in nature. Correct?

• Charles Warner
    Charles Warner
    2011-05-03

Actually, we will be getting back to the mechanical part eventually…The big picture is ocean tidal energy conversion, but I can't find anyone willing to put up the quarter million dollars needed to do a full, real-world analysis.  So, maybe if I can model it and demonstrate the potential, I can get people to listen to me.  I have six other sites to evaluate as well, if I can figure out how to get the bathymetry data I have extracted from GIS software into a proper mesh…

• klyttle
    klyttle
    2011-05-03

Very interesting indeed.

I've been looking through the rest of the forum for any other threads you've may have posted, but haven't found any. I wanted to know a little bit more about you, along with whatever organization you may be a part of; I noticed you used the word "we" and that you're looking for some serious cash. :)

So, if you'd like to present some more information about yourself and any organization you may represent, It could help me and other members, as well as the BRL-CAD developers in particular, understand a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish, if you haven't done so already elsewhere.

I am a power systems electrical engineer myself, primarily in the mining and industrial/utilities sectors, so I look forward to learning more about your plans; perhaps there are some ideas that might be applicable to my field as well.

Thanks.

Kris