Help
Buenos
2008-09-17
2013-04-22
  • Buenos
    Buenos
    2008-09-17

hi

i just have installed the brl-cad for windows, and i have no idea how to use it.
    i open the archer program, and if i want to create new file, nothing happens.
    if i use the dxf to g converter in command line, it creates a g file, i can open it in the archer, i can see it, but i can not edit it (the icons in the program are disabled), and i can not export anything either.

if i use any of the g to other format converters, it gives errors, and creates files with header, but no useful data. see at the bottom. anyway, what is the object(s) parameter? if i use all, it just fails, if i use something else, it says "... does not exist"

the point for me, is to convert a planar dxf design into 3d iges format (maybe extrude it to create a volume...), to be able to edit and open it in finite element analysis programs, like salome, jcae, gmsh. i have printed circuit board designs, and for simulation i want to have its layers in 3d and add some extra, like component pins...

F:\Temp\SOFTW-download\converters-brlcad>g-iges -o allegro3.iges allegro3.g all
    BRL-CAD Release 7.12.2  BRL-CAD to IGES Translator
        4/22/2008 7:29:53 AM, Compilation 1
        robert.g.parker@ARLAWKLS06396:C:/Program Files/BRL-CAD
    Please direct bug reports to <bugs@brlcad.org>

g-iges: failed to translate sketch.2 to IGES format
    g-iges: member (sketch.2) in combination (PLANE.c.2) has not been written to ige
    s file
    Error in combination PLANE.c.2
    g-iges: member (PLANE.c.2) in combination (all) has not been written to iges fil
    e
    Error in combination all
    Wrote the following numbers and type of entities:
            1 - Attribute Table Definition
    Total of 1 entities written
    WARNING: the IGES file produced has errors:
            1 solids were not converted to IGES format

F:\Temp\SOFTW-download\converters-brlcad>

• Sean Morrison
      Sean Morrison
      2008-09-19

Hola Buenos,

Archer isn't what you should be using.  That's only as a preview of a new interface design.  There is a way to perform editing, but you need to be an experienced MGED user first.  MGED is what you should be using and learning.

There are extensive tutorials on MGED on the BRL-CAD website at http://brlcad.org under the Documentation and Wiki sections of the site.  See the MGED Tutorial Series in particular.

Cheers!
      Sean