Few Questions about BRL-CAD

Help
2012-08-01
2013-04-22
  • Hello,
    I hope you can help me with a few questions I have with BRL-CAD.
    We are maybe planning to get a CAD programm, but at the moment I am not sure about which programm.
    My questions:
    1. Does this programm look likes autoCAD? I mean, are there things I cannot do with it, what I can do with autoCAD?
    2. Wenn something is made in autoCAD, can I work with it in BRL-CAD? And if something is made in BRL-CAD, can I work with it in autoCAD?
    3. If I want to use this programm on more computers, is that possible?
    4. Is it possible to use this programm in a cloud?
    5. Can I alos use this programm for companies, or onlu for private use?
    6. Do I need some special software or hardware to run this programm? Like a bigger screen, or…?
    7. Can I use this programm with a 3D printer?
    8. Wenn I don't have the experience to use a CAD programm, do I have to follow a special course for it? Or can I follow the autoCAD course?

I hope someone can answer my questions (very soon).

Thanks a lot!

Greetings, René

• John Williams
    John Williams
    2012-08-01

The answer to number 7 is yes - I have a 3D printer and have built geometries using BRL-CAD and printed them after using the g-stl converter (most 3D printer software uses STL format)

• 1. No.  Beside other things there is no dimension line in BRL-CAD, for example.
    2. There are many converters for BRL-CAD.  You should try some of them to find out if they are sufficient for your application.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.
    5. Yes.  Simple commercial  use of the program is free (see the GPL/LGPL).
    6. No.  A standard PC with MS Windows, Linux, FreeBSD or a Mac with OS X is sufficient.
    7. See the previous reply.
    8. There is a lot of documentation online on brlcad.org.  For example, you should have a look at "Introduction to MGED" at http://brlcad.org/wiki/Documentation .

Daniel