Brian
2012-02-16
2013-04-22
  • Brian
    Brian
    2012-02-16

when I install BRL-CAD I am getting the following error:

"Warning! PATH too long installer unable to modify PATH!"

I have received this after trying both "all users" and "current user."  I want to add BRL-CAD to the system path because I believe that's what I need to do to be able to use the converters (stp-g, asc2g, etc).

So I am either looking to avoid this error or run the converters in another way (may just require some clarification of what's required).

Thanks

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2012-02-21

You only need to modify the PATH if you want to be able to run the tools from any directory.  You can run the converters in a variety of ways that don't require setting your PATH too, though.  You can change your current working directory to the "bin" directory of your BRL-CAD install and run all of the converters from there (as the current directory is one of the default paths searched).

That said, step-g is not yet available on Windows.  The next release in a month or so should include it.  There are numerous other converters that are already available, though, that may work suitably.

Cheers!
    Sean

• Brian
    Brian
    2012-02-21

Sean-

Thanks for the response.  I ended up writing a tcl script to do the conversions, so I think I am set with the PATH issue.  (Unless you can think of any other reason I'd need it set up)

That said, step-g is not yet available on Windows.  The next release in a month or so should include it.

This is awesome news.  I am looking forward to the step-g converter to be available (as well I'm sure many are).  If there is anyway I can help test it, please let me know; I could test step files created in CATIA.

Thanks