Menu

Raytrace failed

Help
2011-04-06
2013-04-22
  • Mark Hobley

Mark Hobley - 2011-04-06

I have a very simple database that contains a deathstar shaped region created from a subtraction between two spheres. I have been opening this database several times and drawing and raytracing the region with no problems. However, the last time I ran brlcad, an error occured:

Error db_dircheck: Duplicate of 'A_', given temporary name 'A_A_'

I ignored this error and drew the wireframe using:

draw deathstar.r

(The wireframe looks fine).

However, when I now try to run the raytracer, I get an error "Raytrace failed".

I then entered a couple of kill commands:

kill A_
    kill A_A_

I then tried again to run the raytracer, but I still get the error "Raytrace failed".

What has gone wrong here? Presumably the database has corrupted somehow. Is there some diagnostics that I can perform to find out what has gone wrong here (this problem is occuring on a Microsoft Windows XP based system).

The commands that I used to create the database were as follows:

opendb deathstar.g y
    units km
    in sph1.s sph 0 0 0 60
    in sph2.s sph 0 90 0 40
    r deathstar.r u sph1.s - sph2.s
    mater deathstar.r spm 224 224 224 0
    B deathstar.r
    rt

I could easily delete the database and reenter these commands, but I am curious as to what has gone wrong with my previously working database.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

• Mark Hobley

Mark Hobley - 2011-04-06

I discovered that there are several mged processes running in the task manager (but they are not visible in the taskbar). I killed these processes and the raytracer is working fine.

Cheers.

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2011-04-07

Hm, it sounds like you've encountered a bug (lingering mged processes and/or rt processes)!  There is a similar (but not identical) bug that was reported a couple months ago that is probably the same issue.  It's on our TODO to investigate and fix, but please do let us know if you learn any more details about how/when an mged process remains running after you've quit.

Cheers!
    Sean