Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

7.6.4 for Mac OS X

Help
2005-11-19
2013-04-22
  • David Walden
    David Walden
    2005-11-19

7.6.0 ran on my G4 running OS X 10.2.8, but I couldn't get the raytrace to work in the tutorial lesson 4, so I tried the build 7.6.4.  When I tried to launch mged after installing 7.6.4 for Mac, it complained: "dyld: mged can't open library: /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
    Trace/BPT trap
    "
    I searched for that file and indeed it is not there.  What should I do?  Go back to 7.6.0 and try to fix the Raytrace problem or find libmx.A.dylib and park it in the mentioned directory?  Thanks, David

• Sean Morrison
      Sean Morrison
      2005-11-23

This is almost undoubtedly due to the fact that the binary was compiled on an OS X 10.4 system.  I'd suggest using 7.6.0 in the meantime and next iteration (in a couple weeks) the Mac binary can be built on a 10.3 system (which is how 7.6.0 was built).

• David Walden
        David Walden
        2005-11-30

I upgraded to Mac OS X Tiger and reinstalled BRL-CAD 7.6.4.  I have edited csh.login to include "/usr/brlcad/bin" but X11 complains: "tcsh: mged Command not found
        I think permissions may be messed up as I had to log in as root to edit the file.  When I tried to save profile as profile.old and added "/usr/brlcad/bin to that one also, it created two files named profile, the one I Saved As profile and another without the changes.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks

• Sean Morrison
          Sean Morrison
          2005-12-02

X11/xterm does not read from csh.login, but Terminal does.  You'd have to also edit your /etc/csh.cshrc file to get xterm to pick up the new path.  Similarly, you'd have to edit your .cshrc instead of your .login if you were editing it for a single user. 

Why xterm is set up to not act like a login shell on os x yet Terminal has always seemed a bit bizarre to me, but that's how it's set up.  The same holds true for the bourne-based shells too.

• David Walden
            David Walden
            2005-12-03

Sean, thanks to you and all the team for your help and an outstanding set of tools.  David

• David Walden
      David Walden
      2005-12-02

Never mind, I was trying to run mged from the X11 xterm.  When I typed mged into the Mac Terminal, everything worked fine, paths are set correctly as directed (I think.)

• David Walden
      David Walden
      2005-12-05

I wrote too soon...now I'm getting: "Welcome to Darwin!
      [g4:~] davidwal% mged
      Initializing and backgrounding, please wait...no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
      MGED Aborted.
      Done
      [g4:~] davidwal%
      "
      after successfuly runing mged and then restarting the machine.  It works from X term by setting the path each time, and  and also when running from OS X Terminal during that sesssion.
      How would I set the DISPLAY environment variable in Mac OS X?  Thanks.

• Sean Morrison
        Sean Morrison
        2005-12-07

export DISPLAY=:0

That will set your display to the local X11, which also presumes that you've already started X11.  Just like the PATH variable, you can put that line into your .bashrc file in your home directory and you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

Cheers!

• David Walden
          David Walden
          2005-12-07

Sean, thanks.  Are you recommending that I change from the default shell on Mac OS X, which is tcsh, to bash?  I tried putting that line in csh.cshrc, .cshrc, login, every place I could think of.  After restarting the machine or closing Terminal and attempting to run mged from Terminal I get the following error:

"Last login: Tue Dec  6 17:58:30 on ttyp1
          Welcome to Darwin!
          [g4:~] davidwal% mged
          Initializing and backgrounding, please wait...couldn't connect to display ":0"
          MGED Aborted.
          Done
          [g4:~] davidwal
          "
          I apologize for not knowing more about the Unix commands for my Mac.

• Sean Morrison
            Sean Morrison
            2005-12-07

The default shell on Mac OS X since Panther is actually bash, not tcsh.  It's only on accounts that have been upgraded instead of created new that are still on tcsh (which used to be the default before Panther).

That said, somewhere you've set the display correctly, because it's set in your error message of "couldn't connect to display ":0"'.  If it can't connect to the display, that usually means X11 isn't running.  X11 has to be running for now as MGED still relies on it for now.  In a future release, it will be decoupled (and a beta of that is already in development) but for now you have to at least start up X11 beforehand.  Once that's done and with your display set, you should be able to run mged from either xterm or from Terminal and have it open up correctly.

Does that make sense?

• David Walden
              David Walden
              2005-12-07

Sean, thanks.  Yes, this machine was upgraded from Jaguar.  That makes perfect sense.  I was thinking of switching to bash anyway in hopes of making things simpler.  I wasn't sure how that may actually complicate things for me though.  Thank you for your help.

• Hey I get this error message how do I get this to run under the i-Mac. here is a screen dump.

Jeff

Last login: Fri Mar 24 21:02:42 on ttyp1
      Welcome to Darwin!
      jeff-rossels-computer:~ jeffrossel$ export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:$PATH
      jeff-rossels-computer:~ jeffrossel$ mged

Initializing and backgrounding, please wait...X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
        Major opcode of failed request:  129 (Apple-DRI)
        Minor opcode of failed request:  1 ()
        Serial number of failed request:  34
        Current serial number in output stream:  34