GART memory - newbie

Help
2009-09-02
2013-04-22
  • Don Donovan
    Don Donovan
    2009-09-02

While working through the tutorials, I would get a "ran out of GART memory" erroe message. How does one adjust the GARTSize option. I am using 'brlcad_7.12.2_x86_64.tar.bz2' (pre-compiled binary).

debian "lenny"
    AMD 64 bit dual core
    0.5 GB memory

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Don Donovan
    Don Donovan
    2009-10-16

The solution is to compile from source.

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2009-10-22

Basically, I believe that means you ran out of video memory on your video card.  That should not have happened working through the tutorials to say the least as they are all very simple models.  It sounds like your system is either misconfigured or you've deviated from the tutorials or you have a lot of other apps running that are using up resources.

Either way, changing the size of GART memory requires adding a line into your X11 configuration's Screen section:

Option "GARTSize" "128"

Add that setting, restart X11 and the GART error should go away.  Alternatively, you can run MGED in classic mode (mged -c, attach X) where it uses even fewer resources but it really does sound like you have something misconfigured (or too much running).

Cheers!

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2009-10-22

Recompiling from source would have likely resulted in a different default display manager, which is the mechanism for how we create and draw into GUI windows.  Given the GART error, the binary you were using was probably compiled with our OpenGL display manager.  Recompiling, you probably ended up with our X11 display manager.  Both are mostly feature-equivalent, but utilize different protocols and the X11 manager probably just avoided the GART issue altogether.  The underlying cause and issue, however, are probably still there on your system (and have little to do with BRL-CAD, it's a config issue).

Cheers!

• Don Donovan
    Don Donovan
    2009-10-28

Thank you for your insight. You are probably correct in pointing at the video card. The card I am using is older technology, but stable. I have given up on the whiz-bang gamer cards because of their short life span. Old and slow gets the job done most of the time.

However, BRLCAD is such an awesome program it is worth looking at an upgrade.

Thank you for your help.

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2009-10-28

Like I mentioned in my second message, you don't necessarily need to upgrade your video card.  BRL-CAD's system requirements are VERY minimum.  The problem is more an opengl configuration issue with your video card.  You either have to tweak the config, or compile BRL-CAD to use X directly instead.  Hopefully that's more clear.

• Don Donovan
    Don Donovan
    2009-10-31

You are correct. I have severe problems with opengl and this card. BRL-CAD is working fine now.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.