BRL CAD and OSX

Help
fabri
2005-05-14
2013-04-22
  • fabri
    fabri
    2005-05-14

This morning I was very happy when I saw file .dmg released.
    But now, that I have installed, I am not happy, not anymore...
    I am not able to locate BRL... the finder is not helping me... and I don't understand exactly the tips found during installation of the package:

"Remember to add /usr/brlcad/bin to your path.

For Bourne-shell-based shells (sh, bash, ash, zsh) add the following to your ~/.profile
    PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:$PATH ; export PATH"

Can someone help me to become an happy man again?

Fabrizio

• Sean Morrison
      Sean Morrison
      2005-05-14

Part of the problem is that we do not make any icons (yet) during installation  -- BRL-CAD has to be run through X11 and the command line.  Run /Applications/Utilities/X11 and in the xterm window that opens up, type this:

export PATH=/usr/brlcad/bin:$PATH
      mged

That should start up the graphical MGED application for you.  See the MGED manual for more details from there, available on the website at http://brlcad.org

• fabri
        fabri
        2005-05-15

thank you very much! launched!
        now I have two windows: a command windows and a graphic window; well, I think I have enough to learn, today!
        (maybe there are other app that have to be launched using the same method...ok, you will tell to me later.)

If I can help you, maybe for some translation (I have just finished a couple of localization, one of them using a very nice software-QT Linguist-to translate )

Sincerely
        Fabrizio

• Sean Morrison
          Sean Morrison
          2005-05-15

We're always interested in help, though adding internationalization/localization support to BRL-CAD is a very daunting task given it's size and complexity.  Even for a single application, like MGED.  Probably more useful would be a translation of the existing available documentation that's available on the website at http://brlcad.org -- the Overview of BRL-CAD, Intro to MGED, Principles of Effictive Modeling, etc.  Those would be very helpful to have translated.. :-)