Help
Hans G.
2010-04-26
2013-04-22
  • Hans G.
    Hans G.
    2010-04-26

Dear all,

currently I am not very satisfied with the stability of brlcad. I use a SONY PCG-TR1A laptop with 1GB RAM and an Intel Pentium M processor (900Mhz). In the so called user group presentations (benchmarking presentation) I saw that brlcad was tested on slower systems with less processor power. However, brlcad crashes from time to time when I use the Primitive Selection in very simple drawings (circuit boards or simple mechanicals). I assume that these errors are not coming from the brlcad, because the system crashes from time to time, too. Hence I am intending to upgrade my hardware:

I am doing the CAD modeling mainly at home; that is why I will choose a 64bit-desktop pc. For me it would be very interesting whether somebody is using brlcad on a 64bit system and which hardware configuration (graphic card, processor etc.) he/she uses. Is brlcad running stable on your 64bit system?

Furthermore which linux-distribution are you using? Can you approve your system? What about your experiences with gentoo or ubuntu in relation to brlcad?

All the best,
    Hans

• bigseb
    bigseb
    2010-04-26

Hi,

I am running BRL-CAD on Ubuntu 9.10 x64 Ultimate Edition and it works just fine. Only time it crashes is when I use the extrude function in the create menu in the GUI. Extrude via the command line works fine. That said I have only been using BRL-CAD for about 2 and a half weeks so I haven't tried everything. So far so good though.

Hardware-wise: Core 2 Duo 1.5GHz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 8400 GS.

(btw: you know me as bigseb from Ubuntu Forums)

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-06-28

Hans,

Sorry to hear about your view on BRL-CAD stability.  Making the tools and features we provide robust, stable, and reliable are among our highest priorities over the 25+ years that BRL-CAD has been under development.  That said, changes continually occur as new features are added, old ones deprecated, and existing features are updated.

For what it's worth, BRL-CAD is used extensively on 64-bit platforms with the majority of our primary users working on 64-bit systems all the time for production use.  The majority that I'm aware of use Red Hat Enterprise Linux 64-bit.  BRL-CAD is relatively new on Gentoo and Ubuntu in comparison, but the same window managers and kernel are involved such that there's really not much difference.

As for extrude via the GUI.. thanks for the reminder, yutani.  That's been a known albeit low-priority issue for someone to look into.

Cheers!
    Sean

• noodles7
    noodles7
    2010-08-27

BRL-CAD runs fine on Arch Linux x86_64 with MSI P7NGM-Digital LGA 775 NVIDIA, 4 X Kingston HyperX 2GB SDRAM DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775.