Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

7.20.0 Windows & step-g

Help
Brian
2011-06-15
2013-04-22
  • Brian
    Brian
    2011-06-15

is the step-g converter included in the 7.20.0 windows build.  I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2011-06-16

Unfortunately, not yet.  The converter requires a lexer and parser subsystem that aren't readily available on Windows, so we haven't been able to include it for Windows just yet.  That is something we're working to fix.

• Brian
    Brian
    2011-06-16

Thank you for the quick response.

mildly related question.  I was reading the release notes for 7.20.0 and it appears that they focused on making it easier to build BRL-CAD from source.  Does this mean that in the future the Windows binary will be more frequently updated?

(i.e. when the step-g converter is included, will it be available sooner?)

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2011-06-16

That is exactly what that implies.  The entire motivation for the change of build system was to make it easier to manage all of our binary releases - especially Windows, which was previously very laborious and complicated to keep updated.  Moreover, it only built a small fraction of BRL-CAD (around 30%).  As the new build system comes online over the next few months, things should start to improve greatly.  It's already over 90% coverage and we'll get it to 100% before too long.

• Brian
    Brian
    2011-06-16

Thanks!

I'm getting more involved with using BRL-CAD at work and having the latest version available in a windows binary will definitely be helpful for us.  Especially as NURBS and conversion (step-g) updates come along.

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2011-06-16

Outstanding.  If you're ever interested in writing up an article on how you're using BRL-CAD at work, many would love to hear about it.  Brief showcase, free advertising.

Articles get worked on at http://brlcad.org/wiki/Community_Publication_Portal