Status of lipc/libpg

juillard
2012-03-08
2013-04-22
  • juillard
    juillard
    2012-03-08

Hi all!

I could see here in BRL-CAD wiki that lipc/lipg are the libraries to manage geometric constraints:
    http://brlcad.org/wiki/Libpg_:_A_parametrics/constraint_library

However, this is presented as a work in progress, while this library is already present in BRL-CAD package.

I would like to know what is the status of the geometric constraint solver of BRL-CAD please?

I thank you in advance for your feedbacks.
    Have a good day!
    Bests,

Pierre

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2012-03-08

Hi Pierre,

Hopefully Dawn can reply with more specific/detailed status information.  He the developer ( http://brlcad.org/wiki/User:Homovulgaris ) that worked on libpc for a while and wrote up the description you referred to.

The libpc library is present in BRL-CAD but it's not finished.  There is more work needed to hook in throughout the system for implicit and explicit constraint expressions.  Are you interested in continuing that development effort?  Or are you a user needing that feature?

Cheers!
    Sean

• juillard
    juillard
    2012-03-08

Hi Sean,

No to both questions :).
    Actually, I am leading a short survey to knwo which open source CAD software use which open source geometric solver?

I end up with the following results at the moment:
    FreeCAD => freegcs
    BRL-CAD => libpg / libpc
    NaroCAD / HeeksCAD => sketchsolve

I also see that other open source geometric solvers exist:
    psketcher
    cppsketcher

After this quick surveyr, my question would have been: which one is the most "advanced / fastest / robust"?
    For this, I guess a bench is needed :).

Have a good day and thanks again!
    Bests,

Pierre

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2012-03-08

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Pierre.  Well clearly, ours is the most advanced / fastest / robust!  ;)

Dawn would definitely be the guy to speak up on how libpc compares feature-wise to other solvers.  (The libpg candidate name was dropped in favor of libpc.)

Cheers!
    Sean