BRL-CAD potentially 'THE' Metaverse Modeller?

• Ryan Schultz
    Ryan Schultz

There's no doubt that we will eventually see an Open 3D Web Metaverse.  I'm wondering, not being a programmer, what the potential is for BRL-CAD to be 'THE' go-to inworld modeling system for this eventual open source Metaverse.  It seems if BRL-CAD's development strategy was aimed at this objective, you could pull in a wider array of developers to this project.  Perhaps if it was heavily associated with projects such as 'Second Life', 'Open Source Metaverse', or 'Open Sim' to name a few, the project would see an increase it's development momentum.

Although, there's many burgeoning Metaverses out there vying to be the basis of the 3-dimensional web, i feel 'Second Life' would still have the best chance, although it's still contingent on them open sourcing their server code - a possibility they have affirmed will come true in the next few quarters.  Although 'Second Life' i feel has the most momentum behind it, i do not want to rule out the growing list of other burgeoning Metaverse platforms as well. (see following list)

So in the end, I'm not sure just how compatible BRL-CAD could be with these burgeoning Metaverse platforms, but considering the projected potential of the 3D Metaverse, as outlined in the Metaverse Roadmap: to name a few,  i think there's great potential for BRL-CAD to be the go-to modeler of these new worlds. 

I would love to hear your thoughts on this possibility.

Thank, Ryan Schultz

* Second Life:
        * Entropia Universe:
        * Hipihi - Chinese Virtual World:
        * PlayStation Home:
        * Areae:
        * MPK20: Sun's Virtual Workplace:
        * Multiverse:
        * Forterra Systems' Olive:
        * The Croquet Project:
        * Ogoglio:
        * Project Darkstar:
        * Open Source Metaverse Project:
        * OpenSim:
        * Metaplace: (under development)
        * Google Earth:
        * Microsoft Virtual Earth:
        * planet-earth - The Open Source, Open Content, Free 3D Earth:
        * - multi-user google earth, now!:

• Tom Fisher
      Tom Fisher

I am uncertain as to what all a meta universe is. I have been looking at BrlCad for a long time trying to get my head around it. Set me straight if I am way off. Brlcad can accept real world telemetries, probably in real time depending upon the platforms limitations. I believe it can link with the heavy weight GIS Grass system thus linking to whatever existing GIS databases that may be available. As to what resolutions I do not know. I'm certain there are material library s for physical and chemical properties, but I do not know where they are. In Brlcad, one can define not only an object in space {and I suspect time} but also the nature of it's materials and construction. Model the pertinent analysis algorithms and determine a possible computed result. Given the availability of math library s such as Cerns and others could one design a motorized recumbent bike and run it on an existing road for which a DEM is available, probably. Could one design a nuclear reactor with a given fuel load and determine the energy flux at various cross sections of the core, I do not know. Would Brlcad be of any practical use to CCRMA ambisonic problems, probably. Etc. Etc.
      The question you raise seems to be met with a stoic silence. In the users forum there is a HOWTO design a chicken coop! What I have been wanting is some others besides Sean, and to really show us how to use this wonderful program. For example: how to construct a dwelling of certain design and submit it to solar thermal analysis, seismic loads, wind loads, snow loads. 

• Sean Morrison
      Sean Morrison

An interesting proposition, though I think modeling in general is still a fair ways away (several years) from being able to collaborate on that scale across the various domains.  There is going to be a convergence at some point down the road, but whether that includes modeling systems that span into analytic domains is still very much a pipe dream.

The same reason one wouldn't use a content creator like Maya or Blender for most real-world CAD or solid modeling purposes, even if they are great modelers, doesn't really change with this idea of a 3D web metaverse.  The extra modeling requirements, however, like proper "water-tight" topological structures are predominantly relevant for analytic purposes but make the modeling a whole lot harder in general.  Gaming systems like Second Life in particular have very little need for the analytic side at this point and until the games get so complex that they begin to have the same analytic requirements, those requirements are not even on their radar as a concern.

While the objective is nice, it's unfortunately not very well defined.  I agree that BRL-CAD does have the potential to become "the" modeling system behind it all, but what "it" is remains to be seen.  For now, the best we can do is focus on being the best at what we do and be very careful about expanding our scope into other domains without the development manpower to back it.

Tom hit the nail on the head, what we need most is improved usability (and/or more developers.. ;).  Most people introduced to BRL-CAD have little idea where to begin and little patience to go through extensive documentation while memorizing an extensive and complex interface.  There are many ways to improve BRL-CAD usability and that is where most of the major development efforts have been focused over the past couple years (along with security and stability), whether directly or indirectly.  Becoming more of a hybrid modeler has been a massive undertaking but sits at the root of most of our fundamental limitations compared to other solid modeling systems.