freeze - brlcad-7.12.4 on Linux over SSH

CMarinier
2008-07-02
2013-04-22
  • CMarinier
    CMarinier
    2008-07-02

Greetings,

I have built brlcad-7.12.4 on a Dell 1950 running Debian Etch. When I use it through SSH (with ssh -X) from a Debian Etch PC, it will hang the X window server: the mouse moves but Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Crtl-Atl-Backspace do not work, attempts to kill processes did not help, the only solution is to reboot. I have used it from MS Windows with cygwin X without freezing. This indicates that the problem lies in the interaction between the two computers (perhaps an X problem). Note that other graphics intensive applications (e.g. NETGEN, the ng command) works this way without hanging.

Has anyone seen this? Anyone have a solution?

If no one has a solution, I would appreciate suggestions to extract useful information from the computers to characterize the problem.

Thank you.

Claude Marinier
    DRDC Ottawa

• Sean Morrison
      Sean Morrison
      2008-07-02

Claude,

I've not seen or heard of this occurring before -- rather bizarre.  It sounds like a buggy display driver, almost undoubtedly related to OpenGL.  That's one of the few things that can readily crash X.  It could be prompted by code in BRL-CAD that is attempting to talk OpenGL for display purposes, but it certainly shouldn't lock things up.  I'd suggest recompiling with --without-opengl and see if that helps.  It doesn't remove any functionality, it just makes MGED talk X instead of XGL with the same drawing commands being performed.

Cheers!
      Sean