Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

compile problem on Mac OSX

2010-09-25
2013-04-22
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • I downloaded the latest source, but I get an error compiling. I have Mac OSX 10.5.8
    THe error indicates a permission error writing a temp file. I can't figure where it is trying to write the temp file.

The make error follows: (config worked OK)

>  make
    Making all in include
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in conf
    "Sat, 25 Sep 2010 16:57:24 -0400"
    make  all-am
    make: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    Making all in src
    Making all in other
    Making all in libpng
    make  all-am
    /bin/sh ./libtool -mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o libpng14.la -rpath /usr/brlcad/lib -no-undefined -export-dynamic -version-number 14:3:0 -export-symbols libpng.sym png.lo pngset.lo pngget.lo pngrutil.lo pngtrans.lo pngwutil.lo pngread.lo pngrio.lo pngwio.lo pngwrite.lo pngrtran.lo pngwtran.lo pngmem.lo pngerror.lo pngpread.lo  -lz
    rm -fr  .libs/libpng14.14.3.0.dylib .libs/libpng14.14.dylib .libs/libpng14.a .libs/libpng14.dylib
    sed -e "s,#.*,," -e "s,^*,," -e "s,^\(..*\),_&," < libpng.sym > .libs/libpng14-symbols.expsym
    gcc -dynamiclib   -o .libs/libpng14.14.dylib  .libs/png.o .libs/pngset.o .libs/pngget.o .libs/pngrutil.o .libs/pngtrans.o .libs/pngwutil.o .libs/pngread.o .libs/pngrio.o .libs/pngwio.o .libs/pngwrite.o .libs/pngrtran.o .libs/pngwtran.o .libs/pngmem.o .libs/pngerror.o .libs/pngpread.o  -lz -install_name  /usr/brlcad/lib/libpng14.14.dylib -compatibility_version 18 -current_version 18.0
    nmedit -s .libs/libpng14-symbols.expsym .libs/libpng14.14.dylib
    (cd .libs && rm -f libpng14.dylib && ln -s libpng14.14.dylib libpng14.dylib)
    (cd .libs && rm -f libpng14.14.3.0.dylib && ln -s libpng14.14.dylib libpng14.14.3.0.dylib)
    ar cru .libs/libpng14.a  png.o pngset.o pngget.o pngrutil.o pngtrans.o pngwutil.o pngread.o pngrio.o pngwio.o pngwrite.o pngrtran.o pngwtran.o pngmem.o pngerror.o pngpread.o
    ar: temporary file: Permission denied
    make: ***  Error 1
    make: ***  Error 2

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-05

It sounds like you have an unclean build from a previous attempt in the way.  Try starting from a fresh unpacking of a source tarball.  If build fails, include the entire transcript of what you did and the outputs but I expect that it'll work if you just start fresh.

The permission denied would be in a .libs directory.  You probably ran something via sudo and files owned by root are in the way.

• It was from a clean build, just the same, I deleted the tarball directory structure and untared again. Same result.
    The only .libs dir I could find, was ./src/other/libpng/.libs All permissiions were OK.

I have uploaded these log files to my website:
    http://z.gillie.us/brlcad/configSession.log    terminal session screen capture - early part missing (overflowed history)
    http://z.gillie.us/brlcad/config.log                 from build directory
    http://z.gillie.us/brlcad/make.log                  terminal session screen capture - complete

By the way, I successfully complied this on an older computer running Ubuntu Linux, with no issues.

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-06

Ah, the configure output shows symptomatic problems pointing at your system being considerably newer than the system that generated the source tarball.  More specifically, the "rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory" failures indicate that the autoconf/automake/libtool build logic is wrong for your platform and the default it's attempting to use isn't working right.  The fix should be as simple as running:

sh autogen.sh

Then try re-running configure  and make.  See if that helps.

• I have Mac OS X 10.5.8

Now I get:

556 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 sh autogen.sh
    Preparing the BRL-CAD build system…please wait

Found GNU Autoconf version 2.64
    Found GNU Automake version 1.11
    Found GNU Libtool version 2.2.6

Preparing build … ERROR: aclocal failed

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-06

Hm, the plot thickens.  Mac OS X is one of the frequently and regularly tested regression platforms, so the failure indicates you may have some misconfiguration getting in the way (which is possible if you use ports or fink).  Add the verbose flag and show the output:

sh autogen.sh -verbose

Assuming the cause is non-obvious in the verbose output, paste it here and/or try rerunning without ports/fink in your PATH.

• The interesting part is:

Preparing build … aclocal  -I /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/m4
    autom4te: cannot create /var/folders/UX/UXEQN7-0HRCK7qII6Ie9E++++yU/-Tmp-//am4t2723.1492: Permission denied
    at /opt/local/bin/autom4te line 957
    aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
    ERROR: aclocal failed

Of course, you can't write /var/folders unless you are root. I was under the impression you only needed to be root to do the make install, not the rest of the build.

Gilligan

--- entire transcript ---------------------------------------------------------------------

525 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 sh autogen.sh -verbose
    Verbose output enabled
    Found a configure template: ./configure.ac

Checking autoreconf version: autoreconf -version
    Checking autoconf version: autoconf -version
    Found GNU Autoconf version 2.64
    Checking if 2.64.0 is greater than 2.52.0
    Checking automake version: automake -version
    Found GNU Automake version 1.11
    Checking if 1.11.0 is greater than 1.6.0
    Checking libtoolize version: libtoolize -version
    Found GNU Libtool version 2.2.6
    Checking if 2.2.6 is greater than 1.4.2
    Checking aclocal version: aclocal -version
    Checking autoheader version: autoheader -version
    Checking whether to only output version information
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10
    cp -p COPYING COPYING.1078.protect_from_automake.backup
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10
    cp -p INSTALL INSTALL.1078.protect_from_automake.backup
    Recursively scanning the following directories:
       "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable"
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix"
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix"
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng"
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma"
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step"
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3"
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable"
    Detected auxillary directory: misc
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable
    Found extra aclocal search directory: m4

autom4te: cannot create /var/folders/UX/UXEQN7-0HRCK7qII6Ie9E++++yU/-Tmp-//am4t2723.1492: Permission denied
    at /opt/local/bin/autom4te line 957
    rm -f COPYING.1078.protect_from_automake.backup
    rm -f INSTALL.1078.protect_from_automake.backup
       "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3" "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng"
    rm -f "./config.guess.backup"
    rm -f "./config.sub.backup"
    rm -f "./ltmain.sh.backup"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step"
    rm -f "misc/config.guess.backup"
    rm -f "misc/config.sub.backup"
    rm -f "misc/ltmain.sh.backup"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3"
    rm -f "tclconfig/config.guess.backup"
    rm -f "tclconfig/config.sub.backup"
    rm -f "tclconfig/ltmain.sh.backup"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable"

• I meant to say that I do have Macports. If I'm not mistaken, it uses /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin:

500 triton ~ echo $PATH
    /usr/brlcad/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/brlcad/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-07

That is the interesting part and there is some misconfiguration with the automake from Macports.  Let it use the default Mac autotools and all should work.

You don't need to be root to build.  That's something wrong with that particular automake from Macports.  It's probably expecting some other initialization that would point the working root to /opt/local/var or something.

Technically, running autogen.sh isn't part of the regular build either.  It's only because there's some conflict going on that you have to run it at all.  It might also help to add the -disable-dependency-tracking configure flag.

• I removed the MacPorts related dirs from my PATH, no help, still trying to write /var/folders.
    Specifically, I removed /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin
    These were earlier in my PATH and blocked the automake in /usr/bin

I also got this warning and another similar, though I don't recall exactly what the tool was.

Warning:  libtoolize does not appear to be available.
    Checking libtoolize alternate: glibtoolize -version
    Found glibtoolize -version

Fortunately, glibtoolize was found which means that your system may simply
    have a non-standard or incomplete GNU Autotools install.  If you have
    sufficient system access, it may be possible to quell this warning by
    running:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/glibtoolize /usr/bin/libtoolize

Adding the syn link eliminated the warnings.

Also, autogen.sh did not like the -disable-dependency-tracking flag.

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-07

Why did you block the automake in /usr/bin?  That's the Automake provided by Apple that should be correctly configured.

The libtoolize warning is fine and normal - all Macs ship with that minor issue so autogen.sh works around it.

So did autogen.sh succeed?  If not, can you provide the verbose output again with MacPorts removed from the PATH?

Once it succeeds, you can then run "configure -enable-all -disable-dependency-tracking" (it was a configure flag, not an autogen.sh flag).  I'd suggest doing this all from a clean tarball so that all files are properly regenerated.

If you really want to go hog-wild, these steps should go above the call of duty to try and ensure everything is cleaned up properly:

# unpack tarball
    sh autogen.sh -verbose
    ./configure -enable-all -disable-dependency-tracking
    make distclean
    find . -name \.libs -exec rm -rf {} \;
    find . -name \.deps -exec rm -rf {} \;
    sh autogen.sh -verbose
    ./configure -enable-all -disable-dependency-tracking
    make
    sudo make install

Cheers!
    Sean

• You mis-read my comment about /usr/bin/automake When I installed MacPorts, a long time ago, the MacPorts dirs were inserted in my PATH ahead of everything else. This is what blocked /usr/bin. I removed the MacPorts dirs from PATH, this UMBLOCKED /usr/bin. autogen/sh failed the SAME way as before, trying to write /var/folders/…

I tried it one more time:
    I deleted the old unpacked tarball directory tree and unpacked it again

Here is my current PATH
    510 admin@triton ~/build echo $PATH
    /usr/brlcad/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
    511 admin@triton ~/build which -a automake
    /usr/bin/automake

514 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 sh autogen.sh -verbose
    Verbose output enabled
    Found a configure template: ./configure.ac

Checking autoreconf version: autoreconf -version
    Checking autoconf version: autoconf -version
    Found GNU Autoconf version 2.61
    Checking if 2.61.0 is greater than 2.52.0
    Checking automake version: automake -version
    Found GNU Automake version 1.10
    Checking if 1.10.0 is greater than 1.6.0
    Checking libtoolize version: libtoolize -version
    Found GNU Libtool version 1.5.22
    Checking if 1.5.22 is greater than 1.4.2
    Checking aclocal version: aclocal -version
    Checking autoheader version: autoheader -version
    Checking whether to only output version information
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10
    cp -p COPYING COPYING.3903.protect_from_automake.backup
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10
    cp -p INSTALL INSTALL.3903.protect_from_automake.backup
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix"
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix"
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng"
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma"
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step"
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3"
    Backing up COPYING in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3
    Backing up INSTALL in /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3
    Protecting files from automake in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable"
    Detected auxillary directory: misc
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3
    Detected recursive configure directory: /Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable
    mv -f "misc/config.guess" "misc/config.guess.backup"
    mv -f "misc/config.sub" "misc/config.sub.backup"
    mv -f "misc/ltmain.sh" "misc/ltmain.sh.backup"
    Found extra aclocal search directory: m4

autom4te: cannot create /var/folders/UX/UXEQN7-0HRCK7qII6Ie9E++++yU/-Tmp-//am4t3700.4374: Permission denied
    at /usr/bin/autom4te line 940
    rm -f COPYING.3903.protect_from_automake.backup
    rm -f INSTALL.3903.protect_from_automake.backup
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tcl/unix"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tk/unix"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/libpng"
    rm -f "./ltmain.sh.backup"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/misc/enigma"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/step"
    rm -f "misc/config.guess.backup"
    rm -f "misc/config.sub.backup"
    rm -f "misc/ltmain.sh.backup"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tkhtml3"
    rm -f "tclconfig/config.guess.backup"
    rm -f "tclconfig/config.sub.backup"
    rm -f "tclconfig/ltmain.sh.backup"
    Checking files for automake damage in "/Users/richarduschold/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/other/tktable"

I don't see much point going beyond the above, until it gives no errors, but I did anyway:

517 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 ./configure -enable-all -disable-dependency-tracking
    *** Configuring BRL-CAD Release 7.16.10, Build 20101007 ***
    configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh misc/config.sub

misc/config.sub is missing:

518 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 ls misc/config.*
    misc/config.guess.backup* misc/config.sub.backup*

There is obviously no point in continuing from here.

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-07

Yes, the aclocal failure is critical, but curiously not the first anomaly in the build log too.  I missed it the first time you posted the log, but autogen.sh is failing to find autoreconf.  What do these report:

which autoreconf
    autoreconf -version
    locate autoreconf
    which aclocal
    aclocal -version
    which autom4te
    autom4te -version

Cheers!
    Sean

• Apparently, the locate database is not being updated. I don't know if this is important.

509 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 which -a autoreconf
    /usr/bin/autoreconf
    510 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 autoreconf -version
    autoreconf: cannot create /var/folders/UX/UXEQN7-0HRCK7qII6Ie9E++++yU/-Tmp-//ar3545.485: Permission denied
    at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 671
    511 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 locate autoreconf         
    locate: `/var/db/locate.database': No such file or directory
    512 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 which aclocal
    /usr/bin/aclocal
    513 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 aclocal -version
    aclocal (GNU automake) 1.10
    Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
           and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl@gnu.org>.

Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    514 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 which autom4te
    /usr/bin/autom4te
    515 admin@triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 autom4te -version
    autom4te: cannot create /var/folders/UX/UXEQN7-0HRCK7qII6Ie9E++++yU/-Tmp-//am4t2592.493: Permission denied
    at /usr/bin/autom4te line 940

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-07

I'm not sure what to tell you then as the autoreconf failure is at the heart of the problem and unrelated to BRL-CAD.  The locate database not being updated is certainly another curiosity as it should already be updating automatically.  It sounds like there may be several things misconfigured with that system.

You can, of course, manually update the locate database (sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb) but I'd investigate why it's not being updated automatically.  For 10.5 systems, it should be a weekly periodic script (/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate) that is kicked off by launchd.

The bigger problem is why autoreconf won't run due to the /var/folders permission denied failure.  The /var/folders hierarchy is basically for user cache and temp files.  You shouldn't have a permission failure in your own temp dirs.

What do these report:

getconf DARWIN_USER_CACHE_DIR
    getconf DARWIN_USER_TEMP_DIR
    ls -la `getconf DARWIN_USER_TEMP_DIR`

You should own everything in that directory.  A quick fix could be to reboot and/or wipe out all of your user temp dir contents.

Cheers!
    Sean

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-07

Running DiskUtility may also help as it has an option to fix filesystem permissions that have gone amok.

• Making PROGRESS! I noticed that the the /var/folders path it was looking for actually existed, but had a different username and permissions then the user I was building as! I became that user and the /var/folder error went away. autogen.sh and configure ran OK. Now I am stuck in make.

The getconf commands you suggested do give different paths for the two users and the appropriate user has ownership of those dirs. It is VERY curious, that the system should pick the wrong user's temp path!

Here is the make transcript:

510 triton ~/build/brlcad-7.16.10 make
    Making all in include
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in conf
    "Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:18:10 -0400"
    make  all-am
    Making all in src
    Making all in other
    Making all in libpng
    make  all-am
    Making all in libutahrle
    Making all in include
    make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    Making all in URToolkit
    Making all in cnv
    Making all in rletoabA62
    Making all in rletogif
    Making all in man
    Making all in tools
    Making all in clock
    Making all in tcl
    if test -d unix ; then cd unix && make  all ; fi
    Warning: tclStubInit.c may be out of date.
    Developers may want to run "make genstubs" to regenerate.
    This warning can be safely ignored, do not report as a bug!
    Making all in tk
    if test -d unix ; then cd unix && make  all ; fi
    Making all in incrTcl
    Making all in doc
    Making all in itcl
    Making all in doc
    Making all in generic
    Making all in library
    Making all in itk
    Making all in doc
    Making all in generic
    Making all in library
    Making all in tools
    Making all in iwidgets
    Making all in doc
    Making all in generic
    Making all in step
    Making all in src
    Making all in express
    make  all-am
    Making all in clutils
    Making all in clstepcore
    Making all in cldai
    Making all in cleditor
    Making all in exppp
    Making all in fedex_plus
    Making all in include
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in conf
    "Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:18:10 -0400"
    make  all-am
    Making all in express
    Making all in exppp
    Making all in m4
    Making all in misc
    Making all in doc
    Making all in man
    Making all in man1
    Making all in data
    Making all in ap203
    Making all in ap227
    Making all in example
    Making all in tkpng
    Making all in tkhtml3
    Making all in tktable
    Making all in openNURBS
    Making all in tnt
    Making all in awf
    Making all in libbu
    Making all in libbn
    Making all in libsysv
    Making all in librt
    Making all in external
    Making all in libpkg
    Making all in libfb
    Making all in libwdb
    Making all in libgcv
    Making all in libanalyze
    Making all in libged
    Making all in liboptical
    Making all in liborle
    Making all in conv
    Making all in step
    make  all-am
    Making all in iges
    Making all in intaval
    Making all in fbserv
    Making all in rt
    Making all in librtserver
    Making all in libcursor
    Making all in libdm
    Making all in libfft
    make  all-am
    Making all in libicv
    Making all in libmultispectral
    Making all in libtclcad
    Making all in libtermio
    Making all in adrt
    Making all in anim
    Making all in archer
    Making all in plugins
    Making all in Commands
    Making all in Core
    Making all in Utility
    Making all in attrGroupsDisplayUtilityP
    Making all in botUtilityP
    Making all in Wizards
    Making all in tankwizard
    Making all in images
    Making all in tirewizard
    Making all in humanwizard
    Making all in brlman
    Making all in burst
    Making all in bwish
    Making all in canon
    Making all in fb
    Making all in vfont
    Making all in fbed
    Making all in gtools
    Making all in beset
    Making all in halftone
    Making all in irprep
    Making all in java
    Making all in mil
    Making all in army
    Making all in arl
    Making all in brlcad
    Making all in lgt
    Making all in mged
    Making all in points
    make  all-am
    Making all in nirt
    Making all in sfiles
    Making all in proc-db
    Making all in remrt
    Making all in rttherm
    Making all in shapes
    Making all in sig
    Making all in tab
    make  all-am
    Making all in tclscripts
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in archer
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in images
    Making all in Themes
    Making all in Crystal
    Making all in Crystal_Large
    Making all in Windows
    Making all in boteditor
    Making all in geometree
    make  all-am
    Making all in hv3
    make  all-am
    Making all in lib
    make  all-am
    Making all in mged
    make  all-am
    Making all in nirt
    make  all-am
    Making all in pl-dm
    make  all-am
    Making all in rtwizard
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in examples
    Making all in PictureTypeA
    Making all in PictureTypeB
    Making all in PictureTypeC
    Making all in PictureTypeD
    Making all in PictureTypeE
    Making all in PictureTypeF
    Making all in lib
    make  all-am
    Making all in sdialogs
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in scripts
    make  all-am
    Making all in swidgets
    make  all-recursive
    Making all in images
    Making all in scripts
    make  all-am
    Making all in util
    make  all-am
    Making all in util
    Making all in vas4
    Making all in vdeck
    Making all in bench
    Making all in db
    ../src/conv/asc2g operators.asc operators.asc2g
    dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/brlcad/lib/libwdb.19.dylib
      Referenced from: /Users/uschgld/build/brlcad-7.16.10/src/conv/.libs/asc2g
      Reason: image not found
    /bin/sh: line 1: 49243 Trace/BPT trap          LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../src/other/tcl/unix:../src/other/tk/unix:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=../src/other/tcl/unix:/src/other/tk/unix:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH ../src/conv/asc2g `if test -e operators.asc ; then echo operators.asc ; else echo ../db/operators.asc ; fi` operators.asc2g
    make: ***  Error 133

I'm not sure why it is looking in /usr/brlcad/lib/libwdb.19.dylib during the build. Isn't that the install directory?

I do have a previous version of brlcad installed and /usr/brlcad/bin is in my $PATH.

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-13

The existing install can confuse the runtime linker on some versions of Mac OS X.  That said, the error is fairly benign as everything is compiled by that point in the build process.  You should be able to "make install" successfully now.  A subsequent "make" run *after* make install should also work.

Cheers!
    Sean

• I'd like to run the benchmark and other tests before I install. "make benchmark" and "make test" both give the same failure as above.
    I tried renaming /usr/brlcad/  to /usr/OldbrlcadOld/ - Still failed.
    I removed /usr/brlcad/bin/ from my env $PATH - still failed.

Will "make install" overwrite the old version of brlcad?
    Can I run the benchmark and other tests after I install?

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-13

Getting any of the binaries to run prior to install isn't that simple.  Normally it works and it should work, but not without changing some things in your build environment.  Moving the directory isn't enough unless you completely start over.

That said, you really shouldn't need to.  You can run the benchmark and other tests after you install, and they'll work.  Running "make install" will copy files into the prefex directory (which is /usr/brlcad by default unless you specify something else to configure with the -prefix flag).  If you've renamed your existing /usr/brlcad to /usr/OldbrlcadOld then you should be fine.

Having /usr/brlcad/bin in your PATH is fine (and didn't affect the build).  The flags and settings that come into play during a libtoolized compilation-runtime are a fair bit complex to explain.  I'd suggest moving your existing install, running make install, then you can run the tests and benchmark.

For what it's worth, the BRL-CAD Benchmark suite can also be accessed post-install via the "benchmark" common that is installed.  It's the same as "make benchmark".

• The make install gets stuck installing docbook. The install was scrolling a lot of messages, faster than I could read them, then it stopped at docbook. After 5 monutes, or so, I left and came back a half later. Still stuck in the same place. The CPU meter and Disk meter were idling, while it was stalled. I ran it a second time and it stalled in the same place.

Gilligan

(removed a lot of stuff)

make  install-recursive
    Making install in include
    make: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
    make: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
    test -z "/usr/brlcad/share/brlcad/7.16.10/db" || /bin/sh ../misc/mkinstalldirs "/usr/brlcad/share/brlcad/7.16.10/db"
    /opt/local/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 operators.asc2g bldg391.g m35.g moss.g sphflake.g star.g world.g axis.g boolean-ops.g castle.g cornell.g cray.g crod.g cube.g demo.g galileo.g goliath.g havoc.g kman.g ktank.g lgt-test.g operators.g pic.g pinewood.g prim.g tank_car.g terra.g toyjeep.g truck.g wave.g woodsman.g xmp.g terra.dsp '/usr/brlcad/share/brlcad/7.16.10/db'
    Making install in pix
    test -z "/usr/brlcad/share/brlcad/7.16.10/pix" || /bin/sh ../misc/mkinstalldirs "/usr/brlcad/share/brlcad/7.16.10/pix"
    /opt/local/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 bldg391.pix m35.pix moss.pix sphflake.pix star.pix world.pix bldg391.log m35.log moss.log sphflake.log star.log world.log '/usr/brlcad/share/brlcad/7.16.10/pix'
    Making install in doc
    Making install in docbook
    XML_CATALOG_FILES=../../doc/docbook/catalog.xml /opt/local/bin/xsltproc -nonet -xinclude -o articles/en/build_pattern.html ../../doc/docbook/resources/standard/xsl/xhtml-1_1/docbook.xsl articles/en/build_pattern.xml
    ^Cmake: ***  Interrupt
    make: ***  Interrupt
    make: ***  Interrupt

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-13

Hm, that's a first I've ever heard of that happening.  The good news is that pretty much everything compiled and installed - you can manually run make test and make benchmark:

cd regress
    make test
    cd ../bench
    make benchmark

They probably won't work from the top-level because it'll try to do a "make" first and get stuck in the docbook directory again.

You can disable docs with the -disable-documentation during configure.  The reason it hangs, however, is out of our hands.  The only thing suspicious is that it's trying to run /opt/local/bin/xsltproc which is not the default Mac xsltproc.  You might have some luck with this all on one line:

XSLTPROC=/usr/bin/xsltproc make

Cheers!
    Sean

• Build SUCCESS! A few issues with make benchmark and make test.

There were two issues with my system:

1) the TMPDIR problem:
    solution: "su -l adminUser"
    I had been doing "su adminUser"

2) the MacPorts issue
    solution: remove /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin from my PATH var

I had tried these separately, but both are needed at the same time.

Below are some errors from make benchmark and make test. Are these serious?

make benchmark --------------- errors -----------

much removed

+++++ m35
    Frame  0:     656360 rays   in      1.80 sec =    365541.54 rays/sec (RTFM)
    Frame  1:    1312720 rays   in      3.51 sec =    373999.79 rays/sec (RTFM)
    Frame  3:    5250880 rays   in     13.36 sec =    393043.24 rays/sec (RTFM)
    Frame  4:   10501760 rays   in     26.82 sec =    391557.34 rays/sec (RTFM)
    Frame  5:   21003520 rays   in     54.56 sec =    384986.47 rays/sec (RTFM)
    pixcmp pixels:   262070 matching,       74 off by 1,        0 off by many
    m35.pix: answers are RIGHT

much removed

make test --------------- errors -----------

much removed

/bin/sh ../regress/solids.sh .. ..
    Searching for ../src/rt/rt
    Searching for ../src/mged/mged
    Searching for ../src/conv/asc2pix
    Searching for ../src/util/gencolor
    Searching for ../src/util/pixdiff
    rendering solids…
           3 off by many
    solids.rt.pix 3 off by many
    -> solids.sh FAILED
    make:  Error 3 (ignored)
    +++ solids test complete.

much removed

grep: INSTALL: No such file or directory
    -enable-almost-everything is not documented in INSTALL
    -enable-only-benchmark is not documented in INSTALL
    -enable-only-rtserver is not documented in INSTALL

much removed (many more flag errors like the above)

-enable-progress is not documented in INSTALL
    -enable-rtgl is not documented in INSTALL
    -> configure documentation check FAILED (non-fatal)
    running CPPFLAGS check…
    -> cppflags check succeeded
    make:  Error 1 (ignored)
    +++ repository test complete.
    --
    Regression testing completed.

Gilligan

• Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison
    2010-10-13

I'd need to see a full benchmark log to be sure, but the snippet you provided did not show any errors during make benchmark.  m35.pix "answers are RIGHT" means it succeeded correctly.

The solids result is a bona fide failure, but not a serious one.  The rest of the failures regarding INSTALL and CPPFLAGS are also nothing for you to be concerned about - those are repository tests that only matter if you're making a source release distribution.

Sounds like you're good to go.

Cheers!
    Sean

• Well, it said 74 off by 1. I wasn't sure if that was important.

Much thanks for helping me get it to compile!

Gilligan

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)