Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Bristol How-To?

Help
Matt C
2010-10-14
2013-05-23
  • Matt C
    Matt C
    2010-10-14

Does anyone know of any turtorials or how-to documents for a complete Bristol novice?  After reading about it, Bristol seems quite fun, maybe I don't need to buy a B3 just yet…  But I'm not sure how to start - I've installed the latest build on my 64 bit Linux Mint 8 machine.

• Nick Copeland
    Nick Copeland
    2010-10-15

Hi Matt,

I don't deliver any howto at the moment, just the code and a manual page. What you are asking for makes a lot of sense, it needs to be drawn up and posted to the website. That is a bit of work and it not going to be done in time for you to get your installation going.

Are you willing to walk through what you need to do with me, I document it, then we post it to the website? I should be able to get you operational as I wrote the app, Mint is based on Ubuntu and I write it all on a 64bit distribution of Ubuntu.

If you give me a rundown of what you have done so far I will start the howto from that point and then help you find a way through the following steps.

1. Did you download the latest code from sourceforge or did you install it from the Mint package manager?
    2. It is operational?
    3. Do you use Jack or ALSA audio drivers (if you are just begining you might not even know much about these, I can advise.

Kind regards, nick.

• Anonymous
    2010-10-21

Thanks for the response.  I downloaded and installed the latest package from sourceforge (0.60.6) and compiled and installed per the INSTALL document.  I also currently use ALSA drivers with LMMS, though if I recall correctly, I have used Jack drivers in the past on this particular machine.  I can start brisol with startBristol -b3 or whatever instrument and the GUI pops us, sound works with no latency.  I guess I'm wondering how to get my MIDI controller in on the party - clicking the keys and switches, drawbars, etc in the GUI all seem to work fine.

• Nick Copeland
    Nick Copeland
    2010-10-21

The MIDI control surfaces are normally linked to the GUI with the defualt ALSA drivers but you have to link them to bristol. Now you may already have done this using some other tool, here is the process for aconnect:

1. Look at the output from 'aconnect -io', it should list 'bristol' and also your MIDI devices such as keyboards and control surfaces. If the device is USB you may also have a name next to it. This is for my system:

client 0: 'System'
        0 'Timer           '
        1 'Announce        '
    client 14: 'Midi Through'
        0 'Midi Through Port-0'
    client 20: 'nanoKONTROL'
        0 'nanoKONTROL MIDI 1'
    client 128: 'bristol'
        0 'bristol input   '

I then need to connect by nanoKontrol into bristol:

aconnect 20 128
    or
    aconnect nanoKONTROL bristol

3. Click the middle mouse button inside the GUI pot/slider that you want to control

4. Move the controller on the MIDI surface.

These settings will be saved next time you save a memory. If you don't save then they are lost. The settings are in ~/.bristol/memory/profiles/<synth> and can be manually edited if you want. You may already have the MIDI connected up if you are playing with low latency (ie, not via the QWERTY mappings).

Regards, nick

• Thanks for the reply - all seems to work and I'm jamming the b3 like a riot!  You've been most helpful

-Matt

• Andrew C
    Andrew C
    2010-11-04

I've done some work on a Bristol How-To over the past 2 weeks. Nick helpfully provided some useful information, suggestions and general editing to tidy it up a bit.

It covers installation of Bristol, running it with both Alsa and jack audio/midi drivers, connecting midi control surfaces to it and 2 short synthesis guides.

Andrew.

• nice - have you published this?

• Andrew C
    Andrew C
    2010-11-06

It's up on the website now and should be included in the next release.
    Hope it helps.

http://bristol.sourceforge.net/howto.html

Andrew.