Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Bristol starts and runs OK for a while

Help
2009-01-13
2013-05-23
  • Josh Benner
    Josh Benner
    2009-01-13

I'm running bristol in Ubuntu Studio 8.04.  Everything starts up and works well for a few minutes and then I start getting lots of xruns.  After a few seconds of that I pretty much have to kill everything and start back up.  Ardour and Hydrogen play nicely without problems.  Any ideas on how I might start get to the bottom of this problem?

My jack setup is stable at 2.9ms with other programs.  Currently I'm using the fast track usb for input and output.  I'm not using the Intel HD Audio device at all.
    Soundcards:
    1) m audio fast track (USB 1.1)
    2) Asus P5B onboard audio (Produced by the chipset together with an Analog Devices AD1988A codec (eight channels, 24-bit resolution, up to 192 KHz sampling rate, 90 dB signal-to-noise ratio for the inputs and 95 dB signal-to-noise ratio for the outputs).)

• Anonymous
    2011-11-22

I want to chime in on this.

1. Your's is a great approximation of the Hammond organ! B3 monobristol works well on my desktop install of Debian 6.0.3, using an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and not very complex jack (jackd1? anyway not jack 2) reconfiguration. As for other hardware, I'm connected via a yamaha usb-to-midi adaptor to a technics p80, a stage piano.

2. The same thing is not working on my laptop, using a USB audio out (the Edirol UA-1EX). I've got it hooked up to an M-Audio Axiom 61. It works for a bit, then it doesn't. Sorry about the lack of details. The thing is at a practice space and offline almost all of the time, so if you'd like details it will take a few days to a week depending on when I get the time.

I'm guessing there's no cool little notebook computer + usb toggle switch which suddenly makes everything peachy. Nevertheless, it's definitely worth the inquiry, and thanks for an awesome piece of software.
    Ben

• Anonymous
    2011-11-22

@seattlite depending on your computer hardware, 2.9 ms jack latency seems low for running a software synth like this. You might try cranking the latency up a little for running bristol..? I'm running 10.something ms and that works pretty well in general.