A step-by-step guide on installing Linux

• thesnake383

Hi. Installing Linux to run with Windows XP is giving me a headache...it's so confusing! I'm really interested in trying the Jupiter 8 vst. Could someone give me a step-by-step guide on how to install Linux on Windows XP?

• David Herman
      David Herman

Really the wrong place to ask this but I suggest you get
      wubi from
      then download the ubuntu iso

this will take awhile as it's a big file

put both these files on your desktop
      click the wubi installer icon

It should find the ubuntu iso and will install it as a file in
      your windows partition (just as if it was a windows program,
      ie you don't need to reformat or re-partition your drive)
      You will want to have about 6gb to 15gb of space on your
      winders drive for the installed file.

when done you will have a new boot menu
      allowing you to boot into winders or linux
      (its not an emulated linux environment, its the real thing but
      everything is stored in a file on the windows drive.)

It's a good alternative for those afraid to leave the windows
      swamp. (and for those who don't want to get into trouble w/ their
      wives for mucking about on their laptops ;-)

have a good day

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland

Perhaps before you get caught up installing Linux under windows and all that you might want to consider what you actually want to achieve. Bristol is not a VST application which means even if you install all this you might not get it to be useful under many windows audio apps.

If what you really need is a Jupiter emulator under windows maybe the Arturia Jupiter 8v is what you are after. OK, this is going to cost you up to $200 but that is windows for you.

If you really want to get stuck into Open Source audio apps then the above advice is a good place to start - if you like it take a plunge and install a dual boot. If you don't like the integration with other apps you already use then it is reasonably easy to back out to plain old windows.

For the rest, this forum is perhaps not the best place for such a wide discussion on Linux installations. It's not that I don't want to help just that I have no idea what the best advice would be, I run my PC without any Windows at all, just Linux natively.

Kind regards,