What's causing the SIDney pulse to"wobble"?

Help
Andrew C
2009-05-12
2013-05-23
  • Andrew C
    Andrew C
    2009-05-12

I was fiddling around with the bassmaker, and I was enjoying programming a pattern and then fiddling around with the knobs and stuff on the SIDney, and then I heard this weird effect: A sort of 'wobble' in the sound. I flipped off a bunch of the other waveforms until I found it on voice-1 with the pulse waveform selected (and others).

I recorded it:

http://moose.linux-coders.org/Bristol/vibratopulse.mp3

IMO, it is very cool!
    Andrew.

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-05-13

Did you have the LFO routed to the PW of this voice? The BassMaker can send modwheel events and if you have modwheel linked up to LFO->PW then this might happen. Not sure alternatives.

Have not had a listen to the mp3 yet, at work.

Nick.

• Andrew C
      Andrew C
      2009-05-13

Yeah, the LFO is routed to the PW of the voice with a high LFO cycle rate (which is probably what's causing the 'wobble') and a depth at about 11:00.

All in all, it's a neat effect!

Andrew.

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-05-13

Were you controlling the PWM depth from the bassmaker or from controls on the synth? The bassmaker should be able to add this effect into your sequence by sending modwheel events and you have controls to configure how much wheel is active for each note in the sequence.

Regards, Nick.

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-05-13

Actually, you can also do this from the bassmaker from step velocity (volume) if you select the Sidney to track velocity for LFO depth or rate.

Regards, Nick.

• Andrew C
      Andrew C
      2009-05-13

Yeah, I was controlling the PWM depth from the synth, not the bassmaker, but now that you mention it, I might give it a shot! I assume that the knobs marked 'controllers' are the ones that control such things?

Andrew.

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-05-13

Yes, but should can either

1. use 'controllers' which should send modwheel by default, then have the SID mod wheel drive the LFO gain level

2. use the 'Touch' setting on the LFO gain level and then drive different volume or velocity values.

Both of these should work and have the same effect. What you should also be able to do with Sidney is have Controllers affect LFO Frequency and have Velocity affect the Depth, then play with both through the sequence.

Regards, Nick.

• Andrew C
      Andrew C
      2009-05-13

Yeah, that does sound very cool! I might try something like that when I get home..

Andrew