using scala scale files .scl

Help
2011-04-13
2013-05-23
  • Relationalist
    Relationalist
    2011-04-13

Hi.

When I try to use scale files fom the .scl archive (from here: http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/scl_format.html), even such normal scales as werck3.scl, most of the synths, if not all, freak out and do noise or modulating sounds not finding their way to a constant pitch.

What's wrong. Thanks!

• Relationalist
    Relationalist
    2011-04-14

Maybe it's just that another scale means that some pitches are changed only by minimal amounts (comma or lemma) and that this change only affects one of the several oscillators - so that long-scale interferences occure where there were only short-scaled before, which again results in some frequency modulation effect …

• Relationalist
    Relationalist
    2011-04-14

I presume that the .scl files don't work at all. The terminal says that they are read but then all that would be a pitch is missing out, even in voyager and in pro1. Only collateral sounds are produced. B3 and vox300 do indeed sound on discrete pitches, but they  on the other hand seem to ignore the Scala files at all.

So to sum up I would say: Scala not supported on my instance of Bristol  0.60.8.

• Nick Copeland
    Nick Copeland
    2011-04-14

The scala files are supposed to work however from what you are describing they appear to be broken. The support was added a long time ago and it has not been checked since then. I will have a look into what is going on to see what has changed in the MIDI frequency tables in the more recent releases.

The organs do ignore these files, or put another way, they load their own 'divider circuit' pitch at a later stage from the controller mapping files.

Regards, nick

• Relationalist
    Relationalist
    2011-04-15

Dear Nick,

thank you very much for the reply. The files I am trying to use seem to work well in ZynAddSubFX. So either they are broken in a way which doesn't matter for Zyn, or something in Bristol doesn't work. Thanks for checking.

By the way: it would be a great feature if one coiuld switch the scale by .scl while Bristol is running. In Zyn this is possible.

• Nick Copeland
    Nick Copeland
    2011-04-15

This following was submitted to the existing Scala file feature request:

The engine currently supports microtuning using a private file format. This works and is used for some of the emulators (Hammond/VOX) to provide slightly off evenly tempered scales from the fixed master oscillators/geerbox teething.

Generating other microtuning capabilities is difficult however the Scala file format is easy enough to parse and gives a massive range of alternative tunings.

Have it configured as a command line filename either opening a full path or searching the profiles directory it that fails, and otherwise try and open <emulation>.scl and <emulation>.kbm as alternatives.

Using a tuning per memory would be nice however that would have to be for a later enhancement since it requires a MIDI dump of a table from the GUI, something that is not yet implemented and is out of the scope of pure Scala integration.