2013-05-23
  • Mike Tutaj
    Mike Tutaj
    2009-06-02

I've gotten bristol to ./configure with the following result:

| Build with ALSA support ........................ : true
    | Build with JACK support ........................ : true
    | Build with JACK MIDI support ................... : true
    | Installing data into ........................... : /usr/local/share/bristol

execute 'make install' then 'startBristol'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton'
    make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I've had to try and install a few times, had to apt-get libx11-dev, and 2 other files to get to this point.

please help, looks like an awsome piece of work..would love to try and use.

Thanks,

Mike

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-06-02

Hi Mike,

It would be a lot easier if Bristol was 'packaged' for debian, that would give you the dependency list and install them for you if needed.

Do you get the command 'make' on its own to work correctly? This should compile all the software but not attempt to put it into /usr on your system. The 'make install' will require extra permissions - it should work if you execute it as user 'root' but will probably fail otherwise if it cannot copy the libraries to /usr/local/liib, that is all I can think of from this output.

Do you not get any more messages from the 'make install'? Perhaps the preceding 20 lines to the ones above might shed some light on why the install failed.

Regards, Nick.

• Mike Tutaj
      Mike Tutaj
      2009-06-02

let me run it again. will post that from the other system

• Mike Tutaj
      Mike Tutaj
      2009-06-02

here is the output of sudo make install

Making install in libbrightonX11
      make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrightonX11'
      make[2]: Entering directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrightonX11'
      test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
      /bin/bash ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  'libB11.la' '/usr/local/lib/libB11.la'
      libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libB11.so.0.0.40 /usr/local/lib/libB11.so.0.0.40
      libtool: install: (cd /usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f libB11.so.0.0.40 libB11.so.0 || { rm -f libB11.so.0 && ln -s libB11.so.0.0.40 libB11.so.0; }; })
      libtool: install: (cd /usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f libB11.so.0.0.40 libB11.so || { rm -f libB11.so && ln -s libB11.so.0.0.40 libB11.so; }; })
      libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libB11.lai /usr/local/lib/libB11.la
      libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libB11.a /usr/local/lib/libB11.a
      libtool: install: chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/libB11.a
      libtool: install: ranlib /usr/local/lib/libB11.a
      libtool: finish: PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/sbin" ldconfig -n /usr/local/lib
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Libraries have been installed in:
         /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
      in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
      specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
      flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
         - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
           during execution
         - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
           during linking
         - use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
         - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
      more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrightonX11'
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrightonX11'
      Making install in libbrighton
      make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton'
      make[2]: Entering directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton'
      test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
      /bin/bash ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  'libbrighton.la' '/usr/local/lib/libbrighton.la'
      libtool: install: warning: relinking `libbrighton.la'
      libtool: install: (cd /home/brent/soft synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton; /bin/bash /home/brent/soft synth/bristol-0.40.3/libtool  --tag CC --mode=relink gcc -Wall -g -I./../include/brighton -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I. -O0 -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -o libbrighton.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -export-dynamic -version-info 0:40:0 brightonBitmaps.lo brightonButton.lo brightonC.lo brightonColorMgt.lo brightonDevice.lo brightonDispatch.lo brightonDisplay.lo brightonDisplayMgt.lo brightonEventHandlers.lo brightonHammond.lo brightonInterface.lo brightonKbd.lo brightonLayer.lo brightonPanelMgt.lo brightonPic.lo brightonRender.lo brightonRotary.lo brightonScale.lo brightonShadowMgt.lo brightonTouchpanel.lo brightonVu.lo brightonWindowMgt.lo brightonXpmRead.lo brightonMenu.lo brightonLedBlock.lo brightonHButton.lo brightonLever.lo brightonModWheel.lo brightonLed.lo brightonSlowTimer.lo brightonFastTimer.lo ../libbrightonX11/libB11.la -lm )
      ../libtool: line 941: cd: /home/brent/soft: No such file or directory
      /bin/bash: /home/brent/soft: No such file or directory
      libtool: install: error: relink `libbrighton.la' with the above command before installing it
      make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton'
      make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brent/soft_synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton'
      make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-06-03

Hi Mike,

I cannot reproduce the problem here, but let me explain some of the output your are seeing:

1. libtool: install: (cd /home/brent/soft synth/bristol-0.40.3/libbrighton

2. /bin/bash: /home/brent/soft

These are different lines from the printout. For some reason your directory has been named from soft_synth to 'soft synth' by libtool. It does not happen here, I tested it with that same directory, but you might get a better result if you try the following:

cd /home/brent
      mv soft_synth soft softsynth
      cd softsynth/bristol-0.40.3
      make clean && ./configure && make install

It could be a different version of libtool but that is a long shot - I tested this with Ubuntu 9.04 too so I probably have the same version. Will have a look through the build code to see if anything is visible but that will be hard to do without a reproduction on my system.

Regards, Nick.

• Mike Tutaj
      Mike Tutaj
      2009-06-03

I figured out the problem late last night.. what I did was delete the folder and all the items had already created in the make portion. once I had an empty folder, I extracted the file again into that folder and did a make install. and it runs now.. :)  Just need to figure out some settings now :)

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-06-04

For the time being you probably just want to use the jack drivers, a couple of problems just came up with the ALSA drivers in Ubunty 8.10 and 9.04 - working on them now. For Jack you will need a few options:

startBristol -jack -b3

That should do it but it might complain and sample rate and  buffer sizes - you get messages in the bristol output for extra options such as the ones below depending on your jack configuration. The next release will find out these parameters automatically:

startBristol -jack -b3 -count 1024 -rate 48000

After that you can play around with the count and the jackd period size for better responsiveness.

Good luck, Nick.

• Mike Tutaj
      Mike Tutaj
      2009-06-04

I figured out the problem late last night.. what I did was delete the folder and all the items had already created in the make portion. once I had an empty folder, I extracted the file again into that folder and did a make install. and it runs now.. :)  Just need to figure out some settings now :)