Wikipedia Article up for deletion

Anonymous
2011-12-17
2013-05-23

• Anonymous
    2011-12-17

I just noticed the Wikipedia article about Bristol is up for deletion. You might want to do something about that

The main reasons seem to be
    1) It's allegedly too technical (not my opinion,by the way).
    2) The Bristol website gives the impression it the major source for documentation - you my want to fix that.

• Nick Copeland
    Nick Copeland
    2011-12-17

I have been following this for a while but I am not sure what to do about it. I have donated money to wikipedia, not that that is relevant but it does rankle that having tried to help them to stay afloat and that they propose to be a source of knowledge, that they also decide for themselves which 'knowledge' they want.

The page that I originally posted was not on my decision - other pages referenced bristol(software) so I provided a page. They wikipedia stasi's cropped my page down to the one that they could understand. I disagree with their approach but if that is how they want it then so be it - an encyclopedia that only gives the knowledge that their own authors can understand? That is broken, it is actually quite scary and I am happy not to be a part of it.

Regards.

• Anonymous
    2011-12-18

Yeah, I'm not impressed by the Deletionist attitude over there either. I gave up as an editor a while ago.

I wasn't sure If you knew, so I thought it might be a good idea to post here, just in case. I've known too many cases of Wikipedia articles being deleted while the maintainers and other interested parties were temporarily unavailable.

I don't actually use Bristol yet, although it looks very interesting and I'm going to try it out. I just happened to stumble across it while I was looking at Wikipedia to see what sort of audio software was available for Linux. I probably wouldn't have heard of it if not for the Wikipedia article

• Nick Copeland
    Nick Copeland
    2011-12-18

Thanks for the update. I posted a couple of messages there yesterday regarding the fact that they cropped all relevant data from the page I posted, only keeping the parts that they thought was relevant and the outcome is that they are probably going to remove the page. It is a shame but it is nigh on impossible to argue a case on this site.

Above all it seems a shame that they are pressurising a free software application. Their advice was that I mount my own webserver, stick some PHP on it and put my own WIKI up but I don't have the money to do that. Perhaps somewhere down the line I could however that would still not have the relevant data on the wikipedia site.

Let me know if you do start playing with bristol. If you need any help/input then let me know.

Kind regards, nick.

• Eric Moreau
    Eric Moreau
    2011-12-19

Hi Nick

I have servers on the net. Maybe I could help you.

• Don Fredricks
    Don Fredricks
    2011-12-19

I'm trying hard to save the WP article from deletion. I've Googled, but have been unable to find any third-party articles about Bristol. If even ONE good source (good, by WP standards!) could be added to the article, it would probably end the discussion and save the article.

A good source would be one that is not connected to the project, and which gives Bristol more than a passing mention. It's best if the source has some credibility. Something along the lines of Linux Journal or CreateDigitalMusic are good enough, I think.

If anyone can help, I'll be very grateful!

Don

• Don Fredricks
    Don Fredricks
    2011-12-29

That's good! Thank you!

Sadly, the original article has been deleted. So now we have to start from scratch.