Polysix synth parameters update

Andrew C
2009-03-25
2013-05-23
  • Andrew C
    Andrew C
    2009-03-25

Nick,

I thought the polysix page might need a bit of an update by way of explaining what the synth's parameters:

Korg in no way endorses this emulation of their classic synthesiser and have
    their own emulation product that gives the features offered here. Korg,
    Mono/Poly, Poly-6, MS-20, Vox and Continental are all registered names or
    trademarks of Korg Inc of Japan.

Quite a few liberties were taken with this synth. There were extremely few
    differences between the original and the Roland Juno 6, they both had one osc
    with PWM and a suboscillator, one filter and envelope, a chorus effect, and
    inevitably both competed for the same market space for their given price. To
    differentiate this algorithm some alterations were made. There are two separate
    envelopes rather than just one, but the option to have a gated amplifier is
    still there. In addition glide and noise were added, both of which were not in
    the original instrument. With respect to the original instrument this was
    perhaps not a wise move, but there seemed little point in making another Juno
    with a different layout. The net results is that the two synths do sound quite
    different. The emulation does not have an arpeggiator.

Volume: Master volume of the instrument

Glide: length of portamento

Tune: Master tuning of instrument

Bend: Amount of pitch wheel that is applied to the oscillators frequency.

VCO section:

Octave: What octave the instrument's keyboard is in.

Wave: Waveform selection: Triangle, Saw, Pulse and Pulsewidth

PW PWM: Amount of Pulsewidth (when Pulse is selected) and Pulsewidth Modulation (When Pulsewidth is selected).

Freq: Frequency of PW/PWM

OFF/SUB1/SUB2; Adds a square sub-oscillator either off, 1 or 2 octaves down from a note.

MG (Modulation Group):

Freq: Frequency of LFO
    Delay: Amount of time before the LFO affects the destination when a key is pressed.
    Level: How strongly the LFO affects the destination

VCO/VCF/VCA: Destinations that the LFO can go to:

VCO: The Voltage Controlled Oscillator: Affects oscillator pitch, producing vibrato

VCF: The Voltage Controlled Filter: Affects Filter, producing a wah effect

VCA: The Voltage Controlled Amplifier: Affects the Amplifier, producing tremolo

VCF section:

Freq: Cut off frequency of the filter

Res: Resonance of the filter

Env: By how much the filter is affected by the envelope.

Kbd: How much Keyboard tracking is applied to the envelope. note: A low setting doesn't allow the filter to open, making the notes seem darker the further you go up the keyboard.

Hold: prevent key off events

Mono Mode: Gang all voices to a single 'fat' monophonic synthesiser.

Poly: One voice per note.

Envelope Section:

Top:
    Filter envelope *
    Bottom:
    Amplitude envelope*

VCA:
    Env**
    Gate**
    Gain**

Effects Section:
    0: No effects
    1: Soft Chorus
    2: Phaser
    3  Ensemble

Intensity: How much the effects affect the output.

* I'll add these later when I get time.
    ** I'll update this when I figure out how the heck they work. :-/

Andrew Coughlan

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-03-26

Hi Andrew,

Great work - I will put these into the read me and onto the website. You probably know more about this synth than I do now! For the ** above:

Env: This switch controls whether the VCA is drive by the ADSR (the bottom one), is just 'opened' by the note which means it is not an adsr but just a open gate from the key pressed. The gain should just control its signal level, pretty much the same was as the 'volume' control. In truth the 'volume' control should not be in the synth memory, only the VCA gain level. Volume should be set to 80% (for example) when the synth starts and you adjust it to suit the other instruments you are using, or the mix of other musicians, then it does not change for each program you load. Perhaps I should work on that change?

Kind regards and again many thanks.

Nick

• Andrew C
      Andrew C
      2009-03-28

Nick, Here's my completed explanation of the synth parameters of the Bristol Polysix.

Andrew.

Korg in no way endorses this emulation of their classic synthesiser and have
      their own emulation product that gives the features offered here. Korg,
      Mono/Poly, Poly-6, MS-20, Vox and Continental are all registered names or
      trademarks of Korg Inc of Japan.

Quite a few liberties were taken with this synth. There were extremely few
      differences between the original and the Roland Juno 6, they both had one osc
      with PWM and a suboscillator, one filter and envelope, a chorus effect, and
      inevitably both competed for the same market space for their given price. To
      differentiate this algorithm some alterations were made. There are two separate
      envelopes rather than just one, but the option to have a gated amplifier is
      still there. In addition glide and noise were added, both of which were not in
      the original instrument. With respect to the original instrument this was
      perhaps not a wise move, but there seemed little point in making another Juno
      with a different layout. The net results is that the two synths do sound quite
      different. The emulation does not have an arpeggiator.

Volume: Master volume of the instrument

Glide: length of portamento

Tune: Master tuning of instrument

Bend: Amount of pitch wheel that is applied to the oscillators frequency.

VCO section:

Octave: What octave the instrument's keyboard is in.

Wave: Waveform selection: Triangle, Saw, Pulse and Pulsewidth

PW PWM: Amount of Pulsewidth (when Pulse is selected) and Pulsewidth Modulation (When Pulsewidth is selected).

Freq: Frequency of PW/PWM

OFF/SUB1/SUB2; Adds a square sub-oscillator either off, 1 or 2 octaves down from a note.

MG (Modulation Group):

Freq: Frequency of LFO
      Delay: Amount of time before the LFO affects the destination when a key is pressed.
      Level: How strongly the LFO affects the destination

VCO/VCF/VCA: Destinations that the LFO can go to:

VCO: The Voltage Controlled Oscillator: Affects oscillator pitch, producing vibrato

VCF: The Voltage Controlled Filter: Affects Filter, producing a wah effect

VCA: The Voltage Controlled Amplifier: Affects the Amplifier, producing tremolo

VCF section:

Freq: Cut off frequency of the filter

Res: Resonance of the filter

Env: By how much the filter is affected by the envelope.

Kbd: How much Keyboard tracking is applied to the envelope. note: A low setting doesn't allow the filter to open, making the notes seem darker the further you go up the keyboard.

Hold: prevent key off events

Mono Mode: Gang all voices to a single 'fat' monophonic synthesiser.

Poly: One voice per note.

Envelope Section:

Top:

Filter envelope:

Attack: Amount of time it takes the filter to fully open. A high value can produce a 'sweeping filter' effect.
      Decay: Amount of time it takes for the filter to close to the sustain level
      Sustain: Amount of filter that is sustained when a key is held
      Release: Amount of time it takes for the filter envelope to stop affecting the filter. Combining a low filter release with a high amplitude release time can cause an interesting effect.

Bottom:

Amplitude envelope:

Attack: Amount of time it takes for the signal to reach its peak.
      Decay: Amount of time it takes for the signal to drop to the sustain level
      Sustain: How quickly the sound decays to silence.
      Release: How long it takes the sound to decay to silence after releasing a key.

VCA:
      Env: When on, this causes the Amplitude envelope to affect the sound. I.E, If you have a long attack time, you get a long attack time.
      Gate: When on, this causes the Amplitude envelope only (not the filter envelope) to be be bypassed.
      Gain: Gain of signal.

Effects Section:
      0: No effects
      1: Soft Chorus
      2: Phaser
      3 Ensemble

Intensity: How much the effects affect the output.

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-03-28

Top Man! I will put this into the readme file and add it to the website documents too, with thanks to you in the relevant places.

Regards Nick.

• Nick Copeland
      Nick Copeland
      2009-03-29

This has now gone onto the website as well as the README in the distribution.

Again, many thanks for doing this!

nick