Jens Polysix Emulation

Andrew C
2011-10-07
2013-05-23
  • Andrew C
    Andrew C
    2011-10-07

Been tweaking and editing this patch for a few weeks and I'm happy with it enough to release it. This is quite a better update to patch 22 on the polysix, The readme explains it all (along with an mp3 demo of it):

Jens Johansson lead emulation by Andrew Coughlan (Count_Fuzzball).

This is an emulation of the lead used by metal keyboardist Jens Johansson, using two polysix, rakarrack
    and qmidiroute.

Both polysix are layered together and use CC1 (modwheel) to crossfade
    between the two sounds, using a suitable midi filter in a specific configuration
    as detailed below.

The start.sh script should set everything up, though you'll need to change
    the paths to the files to make it work correctly.
    You may also need to edit both cases of bristolrc, as it assumes you'll be
    using jack.

The jack midi connections need to be set up like so:
    Midi in > PolysixL1
    Midi in > qmidiroute > PolysixL2

Audio connections are:
    PolysixL1 > Rakarrack
    PolysixL2> Rakarrack
    Rakarrack > Mixer or system out, etc

One thing to note is that the main Layer 1 sound requires the modwheel be at 127
    and then lowering it down to 0 to add more of the feedback (Layer 2) sound
    for adding screeching feedback. Qmidiroute will eventually be dropped in support
    of the internal midi filtering provided by bristol's .mcm file format.

bristol.sourceforge.net/JensP6Emu.zip

The closeness to either of Jens' lead (original polysix or his jv-1080 emulation he now uses) is debateable as a few liberties were taken with it (particularly in the effects department, delay and reverb, for example), but nonetheless, I think it makes quire a nice lead sound.

• Nick Copeland
    Nick Copeland
    2011-10-09

The following release (0.60.9) will correct the bristol error in not allowing you to remap the modWheel for inverse linear, it will allow you to crossfade effects without having to use a separate midi mapping program. This will not solve your issue though since the mapping table is global, ie, it affects every invocation of the synth. You may have to use different BRISTOL_CACHE but that will give you issues exchanging memory settings between them.

Perhaps a separate midi mapper is the best way to go?

Regards, nick

• Andrew C
    Andrew C
    2011-10-09

You're right, and that's how I did it using qmidiroute. I just created two seperate folders named poly1 and poly2 and then used the -cache option to specify which (hence needing to edit the paths in start.sh). Only poly1 will have the modwheel invert data for 0.60.9 (so the gain of the second polysix is increased as the value moves toward 127, rather than vice versa the way it is now).

Andrew.

• Andrew C
    Andrew C
    2011-11-15

Made another update to this, this time using the .mcm file for midi filtering and switching from wwf filter to the nwf filter for the feedback. Made the instructions clearer in the README.

bristol.sourceforge.net/Patches/JensP6Emu2.zip

On an unrelated note, I'll definately have to upload my dubstep wobble bass I did for the prophet52. 5 voice unison bass is seriously phat.

Andrew.