Have no idea how to install

2010-11-05
2013-06-05
  • I am trying to download bowtie and have no idea what I am doing.  I do not have the computer knowledge to do anything except download and hit install.  Is there anyone who can give me a step by step on how to get this program up and running on my computer?  I am running Mac OS X 10.4.  I've read through the instructions on mounting certain files and using other programs to build bowtie, but I have no idea what any of it means.  If anyone can help me please let me know.  Thank you very much!

• Ben Langmead
    Ben Langmead
    2010-11-05

Well, I'm not sure how much we can help, but you might try downloading the appropriate *pre-compiled* version of bowtie so that you don't have to fool with 'make' or any of the other tools need to build it from scratch.  If you download and extract the appropriate pre-compiled version, you're ready to start running bowtie straight away.

Hope this helps,
    Ben

• I tried downloading that.  When I click on bowtie after it is extracted a terminal opens up and this is what I get.  Not sure what else to do…

Last login: Wed Nov 10 10:31:34 on ttyp1
    /Applications/bowtie-0.12.7/bowtie; exit
    Welcome to Darwin!
    hackney:~ LabUser$ /Applications/bowtie-0.12.7/bowtie; exit
    Segmentation fault
    logout

• Bowtie runs from the command line. 
    You do not launch it with a click.
    Open the terminal with a click, and then enter commands like those shown in the file named TUTORIAL that came with the bowtie download. 
    It comes with sample data from ecoli to ensure you have everything running. 

• Looking for any help installing and starting to use bowtie2 on a PC.  I have downloaded and unzipped the Bowtie2 files.  I have loaded MINGW32 and MSYS-1.01. and am not sure where to go from here.  I can open the MINGW32 and it has command prompts but not sure if this is installed and how to start.