First off: thanks for this great script.
I wanted to suggest including output of vol_id command into the script.
Sometimes the Volume boot record is corrupted, and even though blkid doesn't
give any errors, vol_id stops with a message unknown or non-unique volume
type. This then causes the system not to find the root partition, because the
corresponding /dev/disk/by-uuid is not created at boot time.
Steps to reproduce:
Let us have an ext3 partition. If the first 512 bytes of the partition suggest
that it is a fat partition (which sometimes happens after a fixmbr command
in Win), but the rest is ext3, you have an aforementioned problem.
`arrange@lean:/tmp$ sudo vol_id /dev/sda7
arrange@lean:/tmp$ sudo vol_id /dev/sda8
arrange@lean:/tmp$ sudo dd if=/dev/sda7 of=/dev/sda8 bs=512 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.00534578 s, 95.8 kB/s
unknown or non-unique volume type (--probe-all lists possibly conflicting
arrange@lean:/tmp$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda8 bs=512 count=1
Sorry for the terrible layout of the output above but somehow I can't get it
right. I'm struggling with the markings... (italics and code don't work for me
Earlier version of the boot_info_script did use vol_id. But then I noticed
that not all distributions come with vol_id. So I replaced vol_id by blkid.
I was thinking about including the vol_id output whenever its available, but
that could be confusing. Also Ubuntu just dropped vol_id. So I don't think
its worth including the vol_id output.
Om seconds thoughts: Maybe I use vol_id whenever its available but only
include it in RESULTS.txt if it gives an error messages or disagrees with