Can not compile Boost Test Examples

Help
timd_da
2008-02-20
2013-05-14
  • timd_da
    timd_da
    2008-02-20

I am using boost 1.33.1-42@586 on Suse 10.2 (If it matters, my computer is a Latitude D510)

I am using Gnu compiler 4.1.3-29@586

I am writing a new module for a program that has existed for over 10 years, so I have little control over the compiler, compile flags, and the make file that I use.  I selected the boost unit test framework for testing.  I have set up a testing source code tree that is parallel to the source code for our application.

The make file echos out the following line:
    g++ -Wno-deprecated   -frepo -m32 -g -I../lib  -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../../../source/ecs/shared  -DOS_IS_LINUX -c FuserTests.cc

My problem is that I can't get started.  Even if FuserTests.cc is nothing but a cut and paste copy of an entire example at either http://www.patmedia.net/~rogeeff/html/utf/compilation.html or the boost site, as corrected in another thread, I can not compile.  My error message is:

FuserTests.cc:16: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token

The line number is the line number at which BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE( functionName ) appears.

What do I need to do to get even an example to compile?