Constant Crashing

Sophie
2014-07-02
2014-07-06
  • Sophie
    Sophie
    2014-07-02

I recently used freac to rip about 2gb of CDs with no problems. Now I'm trying to convert those files to 128kbps using the lame encoder. The program keeps crashing even when trying to do 1 CD at a time. I uninstalled & reinstalled which didn't help. I'm using windows 7. Any ideas?

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2014-07-05

Hi Sophie,

There might be several reasons for this, including damaged input files, hardware issues or a bug in fre:ac / LAME.

I assume you are using fre:ac 1.0.21a? Please try the 20140609 snapshot version available at freac.org or here at SourceForge to see if the problem still occurs in that version.

If the problem only occurs with specific input files and possibly always at the same position (percentage into the conversion of that file), please attach such a file here or send it to info(at)freac.org for analysis.

A common problem also is hardware or cooling issues. fre:ac normally tries to use all processor cores in order to speed up conversion. To rule out cooling issues, try if it runs more stable on a single core: Go to the codecs subdirectory of the fre:ac program folder and rename or delete LAME-OpenMP.dll. This will force fre:ac to use LAME.dll which only uses a single CPU core. Then try to run the conversion again.

Hope this will help you!

Robert

• Sophie
      Sophie
      2014-07-05

Of the 3, I'm guessing a bug in freac/lame. First, I was able to use a 2nd audio conversion program with no issues. Second, 20140609 worked like a champ. Did the whole batch without any problems. Is there any downside to using the snapshot version?

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2014-07-06

Ok, it's definitely a bug in fre:ac then - the snapshot uses the same LAME version as fre:ac 1.0.21a. Thanks for trying it out!

There is no real downside to using the snapshot. After all, it has many new features not present in fre:ac 1.0.x. However, you should be aware that it is a preview or alpha version reflecting the current development state. It doesn't get as much testing as the versioned releases and some things might not work as expected/intended. Still, as you experienced, it's possible that the snapshots are more stable than the official releases in certain use cases.

I plan to release fre:ac 1.0.22 in a few weeks and it includes some stability fixes. Maybe you could try if the preview available at http://www.freac.org/updates/freac-1.0.22-pre2-bin.zip fixes the issue you got with 1.0.21a.