next snapshot

Gottkaiser
2009-12-03
2013-06-16
  • Gottkaiser
    Gottkaiser
    2009-12-03

Hi,

any news about the next development snapshot of BonkEnc?

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2009-12-06

Hi, I plan to release a new snapshot around New Year's Day. It will feature an
    album editing mode for the tag editor and several smaller fixes and
    improvements.

There will also be the release of BonkEnc 1.0.15 at about the same time.

• Kenny
    Kenny
    2010-03-23

So... what happened to this?

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2010-03-24

Sorry, it's not ready yet.

I originally delayed the releases, because I did not finish the new features
    in time. But then I found several bugs that I need to address first. I'm
    currently working to fix one that prevents CD ripping on some Windows 7
    systems. This affects both, BonkEnc 1.0.15 and the next CVS snapshot.

• Kenny
    Kenny
    2010-03-24

I hadn't seen any news, so I was just checking. Didn't mean to seem impatient.
    :)

"I'm currently working to fix one that prevents CD ripping on some Windows 7
    systems."

Great. I'm having that problem with my laptop.

• Gottkaiser
    Gottkaiser
    2010-05-26

Hi Enzo,

Any news about the next release? I'm a little curious.
    Anyway, thanks for your work again.

• pigisjani
    pigisjani
    2012-04-24

what happened this ? any amazing new ?
    vibram five fingers

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2012-10-01

The new 20120930 snapshot is now available. It fixes all the bugs found in the
    slightly broken 20120916 snapshot which introduced large fonts support and
    integrated the new Opus codec.

It also introduces 64 bit support for Linux and makes mpg123 the default MP3
    decoder on Windows and Mac OS X. This snapshot should run really stable,
    probably even better than 1.0.20a, but time will have to tell...

I'll concentrate on the development series now, working towards a 1.1 beta
    release. The main things left to be implemented to make it happen are DSPs and
    FHS support on Unix systems. FHS support will probably be available in the
    next snapshot and will allow building packages for various Linux
    distributions.

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2013-01-06

Yes, the next snapshot will use Opus 1.1 alpha. The configuration dialog will be unchanged as there are no new APIs in 1.1 alpha to configure the new algorithms.

The default extension for Opus files will be .opus in the next snapshot. Actually, I noticed the change from .oga to .opus in the Ogg Opus specs one or two days after the 20120930 release and changed it in my local repository already. I don't like that decision, though. Xiph talked about using .oga for all Ogg audio formats for years and how it was a mistake to have used .ogg for Ogg Vorbis. It was in the Ogg Opus draft already, but then they made a complete u-turn and changed the extension to .opus for no obvious reason.

fre:ac will not change to the Fraunhofer AAC encoder. Its license practically forbids using it in non-Android open source software. However, there will probably be an FDK AAC component or script in the future enabling you to use third party FDK binaries with fre:ac (similar to how Nero, DivX and Quicktime AAC encoders can already be used with fre:ac).

• qw6135920
    qw6135920
    2013-01-11

Thank you very much for your reply.

The configuration dialog will be unchanged as there are no new APIs in 1.1 alpha to configure the new algorithms.

Well, the Opus configuration dialog in fre:ac snapshot 20120930 only has a "Enable VBR" checkbox.

However, there apparently are more options available, see for example:

https://mf4.xiph.org/jenkins/view/opus/job/opus-tools/ws/man/opusenc.html

--vbr

Use variable bitrate encoding (default)

--cvbr

Use constrained variable bitrate encoding

--hard-cbr

Use hard constant bitrate encoding

Why are those options not available in the current fre:ac snapshot?

A suggestion for the next snapshot:

Remove the "Enable VBR" checkbox and replace it with the following three radiobuttons:

Unconstrained VBR
    Constrained VBR
    Hard CBR

and rename the headline from "VBR" to "VBR mode" or "Bitrate mode" or something like that.

You have done it like that in the Vorbis and LAME configuration dialog as well ;).

PS:

It seems to be available in the API as well, see:

https://mf4.xiph.org/jenkins/view/opus/job/opus/ws/doc/html/group__opus__encoderctls.html#gab1b534a4fe55373f1be407ad4b2b22bd

#define OPUS_SET_VBR_CONSTRAINT ( x )

Enables or disables constrained VBR in the encoder.

;)

Last edit: qw6135920 2013-01-12
  • qw6135920
    qw6135920
    2013-01-12

PPS:

@ Robert Kausch:

Just noticed that, at least according to the opusenc manual and libopus documentation mentioned in the previous post, it looks like that opusenc seems to default to unconstrained VBR while libopus seems to default to constrained VBR.

And fre:ac uses libopus, doesn't it?

Then fre:ac currently is using constrained VBR when the "Enable VBR" checkbox is activated?

Please replace that checkbox with those three radiobuttons mentioned in the previous post, so that unconstrained VBR would become available for fre:ac users ;).

Last edit: qw6135920 2013-01-12
  • qw6135920
    qw6135920
    2013-03-24

Hello,

there has been no activity in here for more than three months now.

Still very much looking forward to a new snapshot with cdparanoia III 10.2 cache management.

Is this going to happen anytime soon?

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2013-04-13

Sorry for the delay!

I've put a new snapshot at http://www.freac.org/updates/freac-20130413-windows.zip. It enables cdparanoia III 10.2 cache management and will report a warning message if cdparanoia detects any cache management errors while ripping a track.

The snapshot also includes support for XSPF playlists, updated FLAC and Opus codecs and some bug fixes, but is not quite ready for official release.

I will add support for Opus unconstrained VBR next and hope to be able to make an official snapshot release soon.

• Peter V. G.
      Peter V. G.
      2013-04-14

Thanks. Is a x64 edition of this 20130413 snapshot available? Please provide a download link. ^_^

-Peter-

Last edit: Robert Kausch 2013-04-15
  • Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2013-04-15

Sorry, I didn't build an x64 version of that snapshot. Please use the 32 bit version or wait for the official snapshot release.

• qw6135920
    qw6135920
    2013-04-15

Thank you very much for the freac-20130413-windows Snapshot.

Unfortunately though, there seems to be a bug.

I wasn't sure if i should post it in here or if i should post it in the Bugs section.

But, you already mentioned that this snapshot is unofficial within this thread here, so i will post the bug here (but feel free to move it if necessary):

When trying to start the freac-20130413-windows Snapshot on Windows 7 64-bit, the following error message appears four times:

"freac.exe - System Error

The program can't start because mfc100u.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

However, after clicking the "OK" button on each of those four error messages, fre:ac does start.

Last edit: qw6135920 2013-04-15
  • qw6135920
    qw6135920
    2013-04-16

Thanks for your reply.

The error message did not appear with the previous fre:ac snapshot (20120930).

It only appears with the latest snapshot (20130413).

All available updates are already installed via Windows Update.

Regarding the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package:

Why would i have to install both, the x86 one and the x64 one, even though i'm running a 64-bit Windows?

And why would i have to install it at all?

Don't get me wrong, but nowhere did i see Robert Kausch mention that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package would be a requirement to run the latest fre:ac snapshot.

Maybe he just forgot and i could try to install it, but i would rather like to wait and hear what Robert Kausch has to say about it before installing anything ;).

PS:

Really no offense, just a well-meant hint ;):

Your fullquotes and signatures are kinda cluttering the thread a bit.

Looks like Robert Kausch already edited and deleted the fullquote and signature from your previous post ;). Again, just saying.

PPS:

By the way, the Windows control panel here says that Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 Redistributables (x64) would be installed. No 2010 though.

• Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2013-04-16

Hi, the MFC messages are due to bad settings in my Monkey's Audio build setup.

You can ignore the messages or get rid of them by deleting MACDll.dll from the codecs folder. fre:ac will run normally except for Monkey's Audio support not being available. The mfc100u.dll dependency seems to be in snapshot 20120930 as well. If you need Monkey's Audio, you can use the MACDll.dll from snapshot 20110524.

Of course you can also install the 32 bit MSVC 10.0 runtime package to fix the issue, but it was not my intention to make it a requirement for fre:ac.

I fixed my build settings, so the problem will be gone in the official snapshot.

• qw6135920
    qw6135920
    2013-06-15

Hello,

first of all: thanks for the new fre:ac v1.0.21 beta 1.

But:

I've put a new snapshot at http://www.freac.org/updates/freac-20130413-windows.zip. It enables cdparanoia III 10.2 cache management and will report a warning message if cdparanoia detects any cache management errors while ripping a track.

This is not mentioned in the changelog ("Readme -> History") of fre:ac v1.0.21 beta 1.

Why?

And:

I will add support for Opus unconstrained VBR next

The Opus encoder seems to be gone in fre:ac v1.0.21 beta 1.

Why?

Any why isn't this mentioned in the Readme?

Also:

The change from there:

https://sourceforge.net/p/bonkenc/support-requests/7/#f176

is not present in fre:ac v1.0.21 beta 1.

Why?

Last edit: qw6135920 2013-06-15
  • Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2013-06-16

All these changes were made in the fre:ac 1.1 development branch while fre:ac 1.0.21 will be a service release for the 1.0 branch. Features newly introduced in the active development branch are usually not backported to the stable branch.

However, I will change the FLAC default settings for 1.0.21 final to match the 20130430 snapshot. cdparanoia cache management might also come to 1.0.21, but that's not finally decided yet.

Opus support definitely won't be available in the 1.0.x series.

• qw6135920
      qw6135920
      2013-06-16

Ahhh..., so fre:ac snapshot 20130430 actually is newer than fre:ac v1.0.21 beta 1.

But AFAIK nowhere it is mentioned that fre:ac snapshot 20130430 actually maps to version 1.1. So how should someone know about it ;)?

Maybe it would be wise to call it "fre:ac v1.1 snapshot 20130430" instead (v1.1 label added) so it would be more clear that it is from the newer 1.1 branch ;)?

Anyway, one thing to note:

I really like how in v1.0.21 the encoder names in the setup have their version number behind their names.

Example:

In v1.0.21 it's "FLAC Audio Encoder v1.3.0" whereas in v1.1 it's just "FLAC Audio Encoder".

Why did you remove the version numbers behind the names in v1.1?

Please bring them back ;).

Last edit: qw6135920 2013-06-16
  • Robert Kausch
    Robert Kausch
    2013-06-16

fre:ac v1.1 does not exist yet. The snapshots just represent the current development status towards v1.1. You can view them as v1.1 alpha or preview releases.

At some point, there will be a v1.1 beta release, possibly followed by more betas and eventually v1.1 final. The v1.1 branch will then become the stable branch and development will continue with snapshots towards v1.2.

Encoder version numbers will come back in v1.1.