Help: strange error on startup

Help
gnijuanten
2005-03-03
2013-05-01
  • gnijuanten
    gnijuanten
    2005-03-03

Hi all, I'm stuck on a strange problem running Boa 0.4.0pre.
    System: win2000, python 2.3.4, wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi
    After installed the new Boa it was all OK for one day or two, but on a subsequent startup it began to block immediately with a little dialog "Error on startup" (invalid literal for int(): False) and I cannot do anything else but click OK on the dialog and shutdown Boa with Alt-F4.
    I've also tried to launch Boa from Pythonwin and, in this case, after clicking OK on the error dialog, I can work on Boa (but of course is in the same thread od PyWin).

Here is the traceback I get:

Starting Boa Constructor v0.4.0-pre
    importing wxPython
    reading user preferences
    running main...

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\tools\boa\Boa.py", line 670, in -toplevel-
        main()
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\tools\boa\Boa.py", line 652, in main
        app = BoaApp()
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\tools\boa\Boa.py", line 468, in __init__
        wxApp.__init__(self, false)
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\_core.py", line 5301, in __init__
        self._BootstrapApp()
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\_core.py", line 4980, in _BootstrapApp
        return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\tools\boa\Boa.py", line 574, in OnInit
        Utils.showTip(self.main.editor)
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\tools\boa\Utils.py", line 263, in showTip
        showTip = conf.getint('tips', 'showonstartup')
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\tools\boa\ExternalLib\ConfigParser.py", line 287, in getint
        return self.__get(section, string.atoi, option)
      File "E:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.5.3-msw-ansi\wx\tools\boa\ExternalLib\ConfigParser.py", line 284, in __get
        return conv(self.get(section, option))
      File "E:\Python23\lib\string.py", line 220, in atoi
        return _int(s, base)
    ValueError: invalid literal for int(): False

Anyone can help me?

• Did you change your configuration?

In the explorer configuration file, e.g.
      Explorer.msw you have a section such as:

[tips]
      showonstartup = 0
      tipindex = 0

It looks to me that you have a setting of "= False", if that is the case change it to "0" for False or "1" for True.

See you
      Werner

• gnijuanten
      gnijuanten
      2005-03-03

YEAH!!
      Many, many thanks ...

Cheers
      Francesco