Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Fork to bitbucket

2012-07-05
2014-04-14
  • Hi there,

I really like this project, and it helped my learn python in 7 days and change my life forever since 6 years ago. Now I still want to use it on my modern environment such as wxPython 2.9 (cocoa), python 2.7 and may be up to 3.x. I saw the last code change in 2009 and nothing after that. Since the code license is GPL, I have taken a liberty of forking the entire code (with cvs history) to https://bitbucket.org/cwt/boa-constructor.

I hope you guy don't mind my action, and of course, you all are welcome to fork, make any change or do anything with it.

• Warren
    Warren
    2012-07-05

I'm just an occasional "try it out" type guy not a comitter/contributor but I'm glad to see someone do that.

It's polite to ask if anyone else is currently maintaining it, of course (and you did that) but it makes perfect sense in 2012 to move to a decentralized model, and mercurial (made in python, yay!) is perfect for that.

Good luck. If you want someone to try or test a version you've made, please ping me and I'll test it. My userid on bitbucket is wpostma. I'm now following your commits on that repo, and I'll periodically clone/pull from it and have a look.

I'm glad to see some renewal of activity.

Warren

• Barton Cline
    Barton Cline
    2012-07-06

I've actually converted the entire repo to SVN, maintained with lots of patches for wx 2.9 on both Linux and Windows 7.
    I'm guessing that I could figure out how to open a port on my firewall an allow access to the most up-to-date branch that I know of and provide you with my IP (although it's dynamic, it doesn't change very ofter) if you're interested.

• @barton_c yes, I'm really interested. There is another way, could you get the latest code in CVS and then making a diff between your code and the original code? This may less complicated than open your firewall.

• Barton Cline
    Barton Cline
    2012-07-07

Brilliant! I'll create the diff back to my original import of the CVS and send it on to you via your SF account.

• Barton Cline
    Barton Cline
    2012-07-07

EDIT: "Briliant" on your part; not so swift on my part:
    It turns out that patches made on the converted SVN repo look like complete file replacements instead of a record of actual changes make.

I say go ahead an fork on the new repo and I'll submit patches against that one.
    Thanks.

• Barton Cline
    Barton Cline
    2012-07-07

EDIT #2: Oh… you already have - I'm cloning now.

• bizulk
    bizulk
    2014-02-19

Hello !
    Thanks for maintaining this code.
    I was search RAD GUI dev on Python. And I did not want to use Eric Python IDE based on Qt. I think That it encourages the use of Qt Frameworg instead of python module.
    wxPython just adds the GUI to python and that is fine for me.
    Now I wonder :
    - Why not maintaining in this repo, or making a branch of this repo, instead of your fork in bitbucket ?
    - You "are" "cwt" in bitbucket, I confused with "tuck" that also made à repo. Why he did that I still don't know.
    - You did also import the cvs branch in your repo ? Is there any reason to have these branche active ?

Thanks for you response.

Last edit: bizulk 2014-02-19
  • Hi

Sorry for late reply. I was away from sourceforge for too long.

• Why not maintaining in this repo, or making a branch of this repo, instead of your fork in bitbucket ?

CVS is outdated, I prefer to work on a modern version control system such as mercurial (hg) or git.

• You "are" "cwt" in bitbucket, I confused with "tuck" that also made à repo. Why he did that I still don't know.

It's nature of bitbucket that encourage everyone to make a clone for himself. In this case mine is the original clone of sourceforge.

• You did also import the cvs branch in your repo ? Is there any reason to have these branche active ?

Since the space on bitbucket is seem like unlimited for any open source project, so I want to preserve everything.

Hope that answer your questions. BTW, my last commit to the repo on bitbucket was on 2012. I know there are some bugs that need to fix and make it compatible with a new version of wxPython, but I still didn't have a time to do. As the nature of open source project, if you wanna add or fix something, please fork from me, make a change, and create pull request.

Best Regards,
    cwt

Last edit: Chaiwat Suttipongsakul 2014-04-14