Laptops

Adam Mooz
2008-08-13
2013-04-26
  • Adam Mooz
    Adam Mooz
    2008-08-13

So I want to use this on my laptop for school, while in class just be able to walk away to goto the bathroom or get a drink and it automatically locks, however I don't want it to be constantly polling for my phone, nor do I want bluetooth to be constantly active if I'm running on battery.  Now I realise this behavior might already be implemented, but I'll ask anyways.  Is there a way to put this into a "laptop" mode wherein, when it wants to poll for the phone (say every 15-20 seconds) it will load the required bluetooth drivers, poll, then unload them, to conserve battery?

• Dave
      Dave
      2008-10-20

I cannot try BlueProximity myself at the moment but a friend recently has tried it.  He found that his phone battery drained much faster than what he was used to.

After some discussion I found that he hadn't enabled Bluetooth on his phone before!  No wonder it was different!!

From browsing around in this forum I suspect that BlueProximity does not continuously send and receive data over Bluetooth.  I believe it establishes a connection which is kept open for a long time with minimal data transfer.  (Lars please correct me if I'm wrong!)

In another post here Lars says:
      "The battery drain should (not be noticeable on) phones that already had bluetooth activated. The explicit energy drain for an open bluetooth connection is specified to be 1 mW, my nokia has a 700mAh battery so it is ridiculously low in comparison :-) In other words, if you have bluetooth activated already you should not notice any difference at all"

In order to save power on your laptop you would have to switch the bluetooth device on and off.  If you wanted to use BlueProximity you'd want to check at least every 20-30 seconds for the screen locking/unlocking to be viable.

Switching Bluetooth on and off is possibly beyond the scope of BlueProximity anyway. 

I suspect that turning the device on and off every 30 seconds won't be a huge benefit also as there is probably a power spike when the device is first turned on.  There is probably a Bluetooth stack which needs to be loaded by Linux also.

Sorry, I suspect that it may not be possible to improve laptop battery life.

Dave.