#7 Segmentation fault when opening search window

closed-fixed
Gary Holmlund
None
5
2010-11-12
2010-04-08
Luke Plant
No

When I open the search dialog, usually with "Ctrl-Alt-F", BibleTime usually crashes with the output "Segmentation Fault" on the console.

This occurs in 2.6, 2.5, 2.4 (I think), and 2.3 (I think - I can no longer build 2.3 on my system, which I think is the version I was using until recently).

I think this started occurring when I upgraded some libraries, not BibleTime. I then tried upgrading BibleTime to see if it was fixed. It could be that the libraries are now buggy, or that they have fixed something that BibleTime was relying on, I don't know.

Running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) with some backports.
Library versions:
libqt4-core = 4.6.2 (4.6.2-0ubuntu3~karmic1~ppa1)
libqt4-webkit = 4.6.2 (4.6.2-0ubuntu3~karmic1~ppa1)
sword = 1.6.0 (1.6.0+dfsg-1)

Backtrace attached

Discussion

  • Luke Plant
    Luke Plant
    2010-04-08

    Backtrace

     
    Attachments
  • Gary  Holmlund
    Gary Holmlund
    2010-04-10

    • assigned_to: nobody --> gholmlund
     
  • Gary has looked at this, seems to be Qt based on backtrace. We will sit on this for now.

     
  • Gary  Holmlund
    Gary Holmlund
    2010-04-10

    Luke,
    I have not been able to reproduce this one. Looking at the backtrace it is clearly in Qt code and is related to fonts as the dialog is opening. Can you tell me what your "standard bible" is and what fonts / languages you are using?

     
  • Gary  Holmlund
    Gary Holmlund
    2010-04-10

    I have looked at Qt bug reports. I think I have found one that matches your report. It is a bug in Qt 4.6.2 and is reported fixed in Qt 4.6.3
    http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-9374

    It appears to be related to previous search terms that are added to the search combobox. If this is true, you might be able to delete the previous search terms and get around this problem. Look in your $HOME/.bibletime/bibletimerc file for the "searchTexts" keyword. Delete this line from the file and try the search dialog again.

     
  • Luke Plant
    Luke Plant
    2010-04-10

    Removing the seachTexts line from bibletimerc does indeed fix this.

    My standard Bible is ESV. My font set in KDE and apps in general is Deja Vu Sans (I think that is what BibleTime is using for interface). In BibleTime, it is Arial for English and Greek, Times New Roman for Hebrew. (I also have a ~/.fonts.conf which appears to be translating Arial to Bitstream Vera Sans, just to add to the confusion - I think I need that there for some reason).

     
  • Martin Gruner
    Martin Gruner
    2010-05-27

    • labels: 470879 -->
     
  • Martin Gruner
    Martin Gruner
    2010-05-27

    Seems to be a thirdparty bug. Moving to appropriate tracker.

     
  • Jaak Ristioja
    Jaak Ristioja
    2010-11-12

    I conclude that this is not a BibleTime issue and has been fixed in Qt 4.6.3. Closing this bug.

     
  • Jaak Ristioja
    Jaak Ristioja
    2010-11-12

    • status: open --> closed-fixed